Computer Chips & Tuners  

Ken! advise on a chip for a Supercrew

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 07:10 PM
ChrisY
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken; I have read a numerous amounts of your replies that past few months and respect your knowledge. I have a 02 Supercrew with a 5.4 motor with approximately 6000 miles. I am not to pleased with the way the truck shifts over 2500 rpm. I am bringing the truck to the dealer at the end of the month and I am assuming they will tell me the transmission is fine. After they tell me this I am going to serioulsy consider a chip but don't know if my driving habits will abosorb benfits. If I am on the gas which is about 1/4 of the time I run around 3000 rpm's not more. I ususally run 87 octance but will run 94 if I feel a huge difference with the 2 stage chip. Ideally for me the chip is just to smooth out the shift points pefomance is desired but secondary. Is a chip for me??

Also will a chip develop error codes in my truck?

I am considering a Diablo since you recommend them highly

The only mods I have is a Gibson 3" single cat back exhaust, I am not adding anymore mods except possibly a chip.

Chris

Old 04-24-2003, 04:39 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Chris,

You're correct about the dealer. They'll tell you the "grandma" shift is normal. RPM isn't an issue with either Superchips or Diablo because both are tuned at all RPMs so you'll get more power regardless of the throttle position. If its a Diablo, tell us where you want the shift points and we can move them for free. With Superchips there is a custom fee for this and they take twice as long.

Either chip will give a ROM error code. If you pull out the chip and disconnect the battery for 30 minutes the code is cleared.

Old 04-24-2003, 05:39 PM
ChrisY
Junior User

Thanks Ken for the information. I really have no ideal shift point preference I just want the truck to keep going after it shifts into a higher gear and not seem like it is *******. I don't drive the truck to hard most of the time but I like to get on it every so often. Even accelerating at 2000 rpm it just doesn't feel right, the motor sounds great but needs more. I also do not want the truck to shift from 1st to 2nd at 2000 rpm or into 3rd at 3000. I am still new to understanding how these chips works but from what I understand if on easy on the gas it shifts like stock and if I am on it the motor will hold a gear longer in the RPM range and will accelerate harder. I want to keep my overdrive coming in at 55 mph and when the truck shifts I do not want to break the tires loose or where out drive components because of any abruptness. So I am not sure if I can have it all?? Can I??

Chris

Old 04-24-2003, 10:28 PM
ChrisY
Junior User

Ken; I just read in the Harley section that you mentioned that " A diablo chip programmes for a boost pulley is the best bang for the buck" Please explain.

Chris

Old 04-29-2003, 08:50 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

We can help with the tranny, a lot!

Correct, with the chip it stays pretty close to stock shift points, and the points go up as you give it more throttle. Same thing with shift firmness. The "*******" is lack of power and that can certainly be addressed with a premium fuel tune. What engine do you have?

Old 04-29-2003, 09:22 PM
ChrisY
Junior User

Ken I have a 5.4. I know you put more emphasis on the Diablo chip then the superchip and I found something yesterday that stumped me. I spend 99 % of inquiry time on this site and I found another Ford forum yesterday and the webmaster bashed Diablo from top to bottom on many posts, empasizing how superior super chips are to them. I have read that you handle both brands so that leaves out any bias opinions. This kind of made me think twice about buying any chip even though the pros out weigh the cons. If you could please send me an e-maill with your phone number so I can talk to you further. runnersy(No Email Addresses In Posts!)

Thanks!
Chris

Old 04-29-2003, 09:42 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

If its who I think it is, he's not the webmaster, just someone who pays to advertise in a chip section of a message board.

Why do some people trash Diablo? Because its in their interest to do so. They trash Diablo because they don't sell them. Yeah, you'll hear a claim from some people on sites that they used to sell Diablo but I know for a fact that they never sold a single Diablo chip and returned all their chips to Diablo (not programmed).

Perhaps this is the same guy who claims he develops the truck programs for Superchips (if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their butts when they jump). No dealer writes programs for Superchips, period, regardless of what they want you believe. Funny thing, Superchips loses their top programmers, they start working for Diablo and suddenly Diablo's code sucks when prior to them leaving Superchips the code was great! Yeah... whatever.

I've programmed, sold and installed both and Diablo is the hands down winner. The odds were in Superchips favor 2 years but that's changed. The area Superchips has the edge is in tuner ease of use.

If its not him, then perhaps its the webmaster with the JDM Superchips chip?

Old 04-29-2003, 09:50 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

Extra Boost = lots of horse power. To safely utilize a lot of boost, you need the program to have the program A/F ratio and timing. This is where the chip comes into play with the pulley. The right combination can easily get you 40+, 60+ 80+ HP.... depending on how extreme you want to go. Then there are other things such as MAF changes which help but aren't as cost effective.

Old 04-30-2003, 07:27 PM
ChrisY
Junior User

Thanks Ken, How can I get a hold of you or someone so we can discuss my type of Diablo application.

Chris

Old 04-30-2003, 07:48 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

The message boards or via the contact link in the online store (click "Parts Shop" in the upper right hand corner. Note that my time on the phone can be very scarce during busy days and I'm not available at all until 2pm because I handle other tasks in the phone.

Talk to you later....

Old 05-01-2003, 08:44 AM
tdmontg
Freshman User

Ken, I've enjoyed this thread. I have a question regarding the right pully. Is there a pully available for the 2002 F150 5.4L that can be installed in conjuction with the Diable Chip for added performance?