6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

icp repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:43 PM
jerkypants
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
icp repair

Mechanic called, finished putting in my I c p sensor, it seemed o he had it for three days for an easy fix (2005 6.0). He said it is low on oil and smoking something awful. It was running fine untill the no start, and never smoked a day in its life. What coulf he have done to it? I know he started somehow, cause it was outside and then was inside.
Anything ideas? I know something went wrong.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:56 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Boy this doesnt sound Good A simple repair on an ICP sensor on an 05 Is way easy

It probably takes longer to find the right size wrench to get it off than it is to Change the sensor

Really easy on an 05 we could have walked you threw it

Pretty Odd that it would have a majoir Failure just from that

So the mechanic said that the oiil was low so is the Oil in the coolant bottle?? NOW????

Do you trust this mechanic???

could just be burning off fuel in the system from the no start IDK also might be a good idea to pull the egr vavle out to look for coolant there just thinking out loud

Old 02-12-2012, 04:56 PM
jerkypants
Senior User
He called me back and said he thinks he stripped the threads. The stripped threads must be on the black rectangular box it screws into. I did trust him, but know I don't know.
When I went down there he was pulling in with it, it wouldn't restart, and the coolant bottle was in ****ed up.it was sticking up, I dont know how he shut the hood. I am thoroughly dissapointed. What is the part the icp screws into?

Old 02-12-2012, 05:04 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
the icp screws in to the oil rail. that is a cast steel part. not gonna mess up the threds in that to easy, imo you would jack the threads on the icp long before the rail. but some people with there advanced degrees can acomplish wonders never thought of before.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:45 PM
jerkypants
Senior User
Aint that the truth. Thanks, hoping for the best.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:19 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jerkypants
He called me back and said he thinks he stripped the threads. The stripped threads must be on the black rectangular box it screws into. I did trust him, but know I don't know.
When I went down there he was pulling in with it, it wouldn't restart, and the coolant bottle was in ****ed up.it was sticking up, I dont know how he shut the hood. I am thoroughly dissapointed. What is the part the icp screws into?

That sucks he should have to pay for anything messed up period

If the ICP sensor was bad I dont understand why he was messen with the coolant bottle especialy on an 05+

Id say its time for some gauges like a SGII then you could see whats going on with it with all the Help here on FTE you could have changed it

Somethings not right with this I think this guy doesnt do to many 6.0s

It probably has a HPO leak somewhere I would be scared for this guy to fix it he may do more damage than good IDK

What were your symtoms upon taking it there Just a No-Start??????

Old 02-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like he didn't know the difference in location of the ICP on the early and later trucks, then he went after it like it was under the turbo ..... so he possibly had the FICM out and injector harness pulled aside .... that's why the coolant bottle is moved.

Maybe the problem arose when he went to put that stuff back in, bad connection on one of the injectors, or a bad connection at one of the FICM connectors. Just a thought.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Piolet
Sounds like he didn't know the difference in location of the ICP on the early and later trucks, then he went after it like it was under the turbo ..... so he possibly had the FICM out and injector harness pulled aside .... that's why the coolant bottle is moved.

Maybe the problem arose when he went to put that stuff back in, bad connection on one of the injectors, or a bad connection at one of the FICM connectors. Just a thought.
Excelent Point^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But all the white smoke IDK

Was all the white smoke coming from the Tailpipe or Just leaking out the crooked coolant bottle down onto the exhaust manafold

I bet he sprayed it with starting fluid to get it to start Cause if it still wont start the problem remains

Id say once it runs or whatever Id never go back to that shop if he didnt know enough that the ICP location had changed on an 05+ he doesnt work on them all that much

I wonder if he checked the HPO pressure it was low so he thought Bad ICP when in all reality its got a HPO leak somewhere

With a SGII you would have been able to monitor the HPO and lots of other things . Even if you dont do the wrenching on your truck the SGII would give you a very good Idea what parts the shop should be dealing with

Do you know if it had any codes??
And what was the deciding Factor that pointed to the ICP sensor being bad??

Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 PM
jerkypants
Senior User
It ran just fine, a few no starts, but come back lateror in the am and it would fire right up. Then the code for fuel level sending unit. Then the no start. He had a computer on it that led him to icp sensor. The smoke was more black. I am thorougjly disgusted, I will get the scanguage or is the ae better?

Old 02-12-2012, 11:01 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jerkypants
It ran just fine, a few no starts, but come back lateror in the am and it would fire right up. Then the code for fuel level sending unit. Then the no start. He had a computer on it that led him to icp sensor. The smoke was more black. I am thorougjly disgusted, I will get the scanguage or is the ae better?

SGII is a great gauge to keep in the truck you can chheck sensor values

AE is the best thing to test with you can control things like buzz injectors and also do cylinder balance testing and lots more

Old 02-13-2012, 06:11 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Sounds to me like he put in an IPR. I'm also wondering if he has the FICM connectors back in correctly. At any rate it's time to run like hell.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:45 AM
jerkypants
Senior User
If he screwed it up, he can pay ford to fix it. And thats that! I pick it up this afta, i'll let you all know.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:04 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
the pump is still cast and the ipr screws into the pump not the cover.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:14 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Wow Hold them Ponies

I thought he had the ICP sensor replaced

NOT the IPR Am I Lost it wouldnt be the first time LOL

Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
the pump is still cast and the ipr screws into the pump not the cover.
Don't know WTF I was thinking.........DUH