Sponsored by:

New Truck Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:59 AM
southtexas03
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck Help

Ok, so currently I have a stock 2wd silverado, as I had tried to be a better Pennie pincher with the 15-17 MPG

In the past I had a 2003 F-350 7.3 Diesel with 18" and 38's that was a beast and about 12-14 MPG

The I bought the turd 2005 6.0 Diesel with 8" and 37's which netted me around 11-13 MPG

So now I think I want to spend from 25-30K, 4x4, leveled enough to get 35's on it with the stock 20's

I am still concerned about MPG because I don't just want to throw money out the window as I drive down the street. My decision is between Gas and Diesel. My Buddy has the 08 Diesel with 35's and says he gets 14-15 HGWY and 11-12 City. Does this sound about right? Will a gas be much less?
Thanks in advance!!!

Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So which do you want? Big all terrain tires with allot of rolling resistance under a lifted truck that has the areodynamics of a barn or good fuel mileage? I'm not saying you have to drive a Prius to get good mileage. But when your running large tires & a lifted truck, your not going to get good mileage. Here are my fuel numbers on a 2WD with the "evil" 6.0L that everyone knows is a shop queen ( )

Pavement Princess (Ford F-250 Super Duty) | Fuelly

That's 53k miles of every gallon I've burned through the truck. At one time my average was pushing 20 mpg; but this winter crap & extended idle times are cutting into my consumption. On Fuelly you can research all kinds of rides & mileage. I'm going to assume your talking about your buddy driving a Ford...but you don't say. If so, here you go:

2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty MPG Reports | Fuelly

Old 02-10-2012, 07:15 AM
southtexas03
New User
I know I am not going to getting anything over 15lifted not matter what, guess I am splitting hairs over 2-3 MPG, which at 4.00 a gallon makes a difference

I don't know, maybe I'm trying to talk my self back to being responsible and not lifting it.

I have a great friend who has a 2008 F-250 diesel, black, leveled with 35's, he babies this truck and will likely sell it next year at 50K miles on it. Think I will hold out and buy his, and until then Im thinking about keeping my half ton and buying a Jeep that's lifted......

Old 02-10-2012, 07:47 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by southtexas03
I know I am not going to getting anything over 15lifted not matter what, guess I am splitting hairs over 2-3 MPG, which at 4.00 a gallon makes a difference
Your preaching to the choir...I have the small tank (29 gallon) and even with a quarter tank left, I can't fill-up for less than $80. This crap is getting out of hand again...but there ain't allot I can do but keep paying the piper if I want to drive the truck.
I don't know, maybe I'm trying to talk my self back to being responsible and not lifting it.
Don't let the women hear you say that
I have a great friend who has a 2008 F-250 diesel, black, leveled with 35's, he babies this truck and will likely sell it next year at 50K miles on it. Think I will hold out and buy his, and until then Im thinking about keeping my half ton and buying a Jeep that's lifted......
That wouldn't be a bad idea. You'll know the history of the truck which for a PSD is half the equation...knowing what has/hasn't been done to the truck. If you do, you might think about spending some time in the 6.4L forum to read-up on them. If it was an 6.0L I could tell/point you toward several things to be aware of. I'm going to assume since they use the same filters...don't use aftermarket filters on that truck (if you do buy it). There are a host of reasons, mainly that the aftermarket don't filter as well as OEM (Ford/Navistar/Racor). And in some cases will shorten the life expectancy of the engine because of damages.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:40 AM
southtexas03
New User
Originally Posted by zhilton
Your preaching to the choir...I have the small tank (29 gallon) and even with a quarter tank left, I can't fill-up for less than $80. This crap is getting out of hand again...but there ain't allot I can do but keep paying the piper if I want to drive the truck.Don't let the women hear you say thatThat wouldn't be a bad idea. You'll know the history of the truck which for a PSD is half the equation...knowing what has/hasn't been done to the truck. If you do, you might think about spending some time in the 6.4L forum to read-up on them. If it was an 6.0L I could tell/point you toward several things to be aware of. I'm going to assume since they use the same filters...don't use aftermarket filters on that truck (if you do buy it). There are a host of reasons, mainly that the aftermarket don't filter as well as OEM (Ford/Navistar/Racor). And in some cases will shorten the life expectancy of the engine because of damages.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I will wait for my friends, it's a really nice truck, very well kept. it will have 50K on it, I can drive it for 5 years and give it to my son, and get me a new one