1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-19-2014, 01:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
  • Safety Features
    Important information to help you understand your Ford truck

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

how to disable navigation lockout

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 PM
grizzly660
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to disable navigation lockout

So I just bought a new 2012 Ford f350 super duty, lariat with the Eco boost. Just realized that you can't enter destinations in the built in navigation while driving. And that's an issue because I always have my employer type in our next destination. Is there a way to disable this? I know you can put a switch in between the vss wire on older models but does it work with newer ones? Maybe a switch between a wire that checks if its in park or no. Any advice would be great on how to ACTUALLY do this. I don't want any smartass comments saying I shouldnt be using my navigation or dvd system while driving.
- thanks

Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 PM
jmiley
Senior User
Originally Posted by grizzly660
So I just bought a new 2012 Ford f350 super duty, lariat with the Eco boost. Just realized that you can't enter destinations in the built in navigation while driving. And that's an issue because I always have my employer type in our next destination. Is there a way to disable this? I know you can put a switch in between the vss wire on older models but does it work with newer ones? Maybe a switch between a wire that checks if its in park or no. Any advice would be great on how to ACTUALLY do this. I don't want any smartass comments saying I shouldnt be using my navigation or dvd system while driving.
- thanks
I think the Lockpick will do it.

I thought ecoboost was on F150's, what engine do you have in your F350?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:38 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Only way is with a lockpick.
FORD LOCKPICKS

Old 02-01-2012, 10:28 PM
grizzly660
New User
And why is it RedBoat, that you can only use lockpicks? Why won't the switch thing work? Just wondering thanks in advance.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:42 PM
grizzly660
New User
Just because the website does say
" There is no need to add any switches or cut any wires. The Sync Lockpick is simple plug and play making it is easy to install or remove and perfect for leased cars. " there is no need as you can but this is simple to just plug and play? Because I would rather put a switch in than spend 240$ which is kinda high. You could add a switch in earlier navigation systems... Why not know?? I have done research and can't seem to find if it works on newer models.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:28 PM
PITS
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can use your voice to add a destination while rolling and once you get good at it, it is not that difficult. Or, you can buy a lockpick. The cut wire thing does not work with the new NAVs.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-02-2012, 09:28 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

And why is it RedBoat, that you can only use lockpicks? Why won't the switch thing work? Just wondering thanks in advance.
Just because the website does say
" There is no need to add any switches or cut any wires. The Sync Lockpick is simple plug and play making it is easy to install or remove and perfect for leased cars. " there is no need as you can but this is simple to just plug and play? Because I would rather put a switch in than spend 240$ which is kinda high. You could add a switch in earlier navigation systems... Why not know?? I have done research and can't seem to find if it works on newer models.
In the old nav systems the only thing the nav system and dvd had in common was a shared screen. The system had a wire connected to the emergency brake that would only allow the dvd system to operate if in park and the emergency brake was engaged, and it was also easily defeated with the use of a switch or simply disconnecting or grounding out the wire.

The new systems use the nav feature and if it senses vehicle movement and immediately disables and locks out certain functions to keep you from taking you eyes off the road and hurting yourself or someone else. Not saying I agree or disagree but a lockpick is on my list of future upgrades.
Now if they could only do something about those that text while driving down the highways at 70+ mph.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:16 PM
JimCantu
Junior User
I posted this on the 6.7 forum but thought I would share my experience here as well...

So I tried out the SyncLockpick...

Installation wasn't a big deal. As was said before the hardest part was getting all the wires to fit behind the radio after install. Even pulling the center dash off was easier than expected. The plug and play wire harness was awesome.

Im a huge fan of being able to use the nav system while in motion especially when I have a co-pilot. So the idea behind the SyncLockpick was exactly what I was looking for. It's nice to have your routes planned out before you start moving, but like always, a need for last minute updates or searches always seem to come up during the drive.

My lock pick worked as advertised during the first hour but after that it just went haywire. Causing the radio to disconnect my blue tooth devices and turn on and off intermittently. Then it would turn on and show the backup camera while i was driving down the highway.

I'm sure it was just a bad unit. But the main reason I returned it for refund instead of exchange was I wasn't happy with only getting 60 seconds to input my addresses or do my searches.

Don't know about the rest of you but 60 seconds isn't nearly enough time for me. You can extend the lockout by holding the phone button down for an additional 3-5 seconds but then that's just one more step to accomplish. In order to hand jam in your addresses or search for your Points of interest (POI).

For $240 I wasn't impressed enough to keep it. I would hope for that kind of money it would make the Nav system operate like it did when you aren't moving for as long as you needed it or until you are finished. That was really my only requirement.

Can't really comment on the DVD player use while in motion as I never attempted to use it. But the backup camera did work in motion... although it wasn't commanded to...

Like many others have mentioned, using the voice commands isn't too bad once you get used to them and turn off the acknowledge requirement so it doesn't echo everything you say before it executes the command. All the commands that are locked out can be used with the voice. Just look at the screen and say the option you want whether it's greyed out or not. I practiced this after I removed the SyncLockpick in order to see if it was too difficult and I needed to exchange the Synclockpick for another one or just return it. Like I said earlier it wasn't bad at all. So back goes the Synclockpick for return minus shipping and restocking fee.

Overall impression of the Synclockpick... It was easy to install and if all you want it to do is be able to use the DVD while in motion or view rear camera it's a great buy. My main purpose for the purchase was using the Nav System while in motion. It worked but for only 60 seconds at a time. Granted you can extend the length of time by pressing and holding the "phone" button for 3-5 seconds at the end of each 60 second period. In my opinion For $240 it was way overpriced for what I would use it for. I relegated my searches for POIs and address to my iPhone and just use voice to input the address into my Nav system. Much more user friendly and accurate. It's amazing how you can do a search for something on your nav unit by category and it won't show up but if you put the actual name in... there it is. So frustrating! iPhone with google voice works like a champ.

Don't know why manufactures seem to make the new Nav systems so user UN-friendly... I know it's all the laws and liability issues but how about making the user take some responsibility... after all the speed limits are 70 mph but nobody sues the car manufacture because they get into an accident and the manufacturer made a car that goes faster than the speed limit ... but that's another discussion all together...

Old 04-24-2021, 12:01 PM
murgapr
New User
This worked great

Originally Posted by PITS
You can use your voice to add a destination while rolling and once you get good at it, it is not that difficult. Or, you can buy a lockpick. The cut wire thing does not work with the new NAVs.
This worked well for me. Just pressed the voice command button, said “navigation” and then spoke the address.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:49 PM
BobStekeur
New User
This is the first time I’ve had a built in navigation system, to be honest I find it very awkward to use and the fact that my wife can’t enter an address while we’re driving with no way to disable that is odd. I put my Garmin in the truck I find it much easier to use.