1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

GEM Module Reprogramming.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:40 AM
Luthier
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in need of a wiring diagram / schematic for the truck.
2003 F150 Supercrew Harley Davidson.

Yes the A/C blower fan is any only at this time operating in high.
I have checked or replaced all fuses that can be visually checked at his point and time. Today's agenda is/will be pulling the engine bay fuse panel so I can view the underside as to ascertain any and or all the possible carnage this may have caused. Hopefully minor if at all.?.?

Are there any hidden circuit breakers or fuseable links that would/may provide power to this many functions???

Would the A/C's low speed resistor/relay being shorted /grounded out have caused or causing this/these issues????
If so where might it be hiding away???
Because, short of my piggy backing the fuse #18 and starting the whole power sweep/draw problem. Weakening said area,,,,
All this crashed when I removed/pried out the A/C relay that resides next the the turn signal flasher relay.... possibly crossing two legs and causing it too short out.???
I didn't see nor hear or even blow a fuse in the process,,,, however Murphy's law being what it is!!!!
I own four volt meters and have a full blown shop with fabrication capabilities....

Old 10-03-2014, 05:30 PM
theJaybo
New User
Originally Posted by BDTMTGT
As I pulled the fuses and put them back, I started thinking about how much it was going to cost me tro get someone else to do this work.......... and how unhappy my wife was going to be about it..!!

Then low and behold I pull out a 5amp fuse, blown. When I check the book, Brake Switch/Brake shift-interlock, speed control, GEM.....

I registered on ford-trucks.com just to post this...

Ive gone about 3 months with out Wipers/Sprayers Door Chime, Shift interlock, and dome lights...

Today I finally had a 1/2 day off during the week so I hit the wreckers to get a new Wiper/Signal Arm, as all my limited tested pointed to it.

Installed, and did not fix my problem. No worries, it was only $33 with tax.

I started frantically searching and saw all the posts about the GEM being bad. GREAT.. and FORD doesn't carry them anymore.

I was about to borrow a buddies test light to verify the GEM was bad, when I stumbled across this post.

I started praying and told my wife to cross her fingers, grabbed my pliers and ran outside to pull every 5A fuse i could find.

To no avail none of them were blown. I then started pulling every 10A and 15A fuse just to be sure, none were blown.

**** **** ****!!!

As I was getting up to go back inside I thought (as I had the dash apart) I'd just plug the Wiper/Signal arm/stick back in and try the wipers....

MOTHER F$CK3R!!!!

SHE WORKS!!

There must have been corrosion on the fuse and by pulling it out and putting it in must have made the fuse recontact the connectors.

I called my buddy who was going to lend me the test light and told him (hes a Electrical Tech with CN rail in Canada), and he goes.. "oh yeah my Tahoe had the same problem, I pulled the fuse and put it back it and its worked for 6 months now"

Jesus..

/rantover

Old 10-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Please take this as a bit of Humor spread out over many other threads, but seems like a lot of dumb ***** posting lately.
We all do it time to time.
Good luck.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:28 AM
theJaybo
New User
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
Please take this as a bit of Humor spread out over many other threads, but seems like a lot of dumb ***** posting lately.
We all do it time to time.
Good luck.
I've NEVER seen a fuse contact corrode.. Not like this. There was no sign of corrosion either.. I just pulled it out and out it back in. Also there trucks have absolutely terrible wiring diagrams not to mention the fuse panel has numbers instead of descriptions of the fuses. Have to reference the manual that I don't have lol

I had the truck in for some exhaust welding at my brothers heavy truck (semi) shop and while it was there his automotive guy out his $1000 snap on relay tester on the fuse box under the hood.. Everything checked out, which pointed us to the switch/level on steering colum.

It wasn't until reading the power windows/wipers/door chime/shift interlock not working threads that I even considered the GEM.

It was at that point that I saw the post about a small 5A fuse that could take out the GEM.

It's kind of ridiculous in its design and only adds to the list of why I won't buy ford again.

We run 2008 f350, 2012 F350, 2006 F450, 2000 F250 and this 1997 F150 at work. My wife also has a 2014 escape titanium. All have varying degrees of problems ranging from the issue I just had all the way up to the 2012 having its entire dpf and urea injection system replaced at 40,000km due to constant cel.

I realise I just turned this post into a bash ford rant.. But we never had anything close to this number of problems on our dodge fleet at my last company.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:46 PM
fourty03
Freshman User
Originally Posted by theJaybo
I registered on ford-trucks.com just to post this...

Ive gone about 3 months with out Wipers/Sprayers Door Chime, Shift interlock, and dome lights...

Today I finally had a 1/2 day off during the week so I hit the wreckers to get a new Wiper/Signal Arm, as all my limited tested pointed to it.

Installed, and did not fix my problem. No worries, it was only $33 with tax.

I started frantically searching and saw all the posts about the GEM being bad. GREAT.. and FORD doesn't carry them anymore.

I was about to borrow a buddies test light to verify the GEM was bad, when I stumbled across this post.

I started praying and told my wife to cross her fingers, grabbed my pliers and ran outside to pull every 5A fuse i could find.

To no avail none of them were blown. I then started pulling every 10A and 15A fuse just to be sure, none were blown.

**** **** ****!!!

As I was getting up to go back inside I thought (as I had the dash apart) I'd just plug the Wiper/Signal arm/stick back in and try the wipers....

MOTHER F$CK3R!!!!

SHE WORKS!!

There must have been corrosion on the fuse and by pulling it out and putting it in must have made the fuse recontact the connectors.

I called my buddy who was going to lend me the test light and told him (hes a Electrical Tech with CN rail in Canada), and he goes.. "oh yeah my Tahoe had the same problem, I pulled the fuse and put it back it and its worked for 6 months now"

Jesus..

/rantover
My 98 started to do that - right at the fuse holder under the dash. A little wiggle or pressure on the fuse case cuts the gem right back on..

Old 11-01-2014, 10:03 PM
timejacker2112
New User
Okay.. not meaning to post jump here.. but I have a issues. . I bought a 03/98 f250 superduty 4x4.. it had wiper issues power windows stayed powered up dome light not working etc.. I discovered I had a 2wd gem and not a 4x4 gem.. called the dealer.... they say it is to old to look up the correct gem.... what do I do now?

Old 01-11-2016, 07:43 PM
Woodburymoon
New User
2002 F-150 Lariat Super Crew GEM Module Leaking Issue

Hi everyone,
We have owned our 02 Lariat for going on two years now. We started having issues with it in July 2014 after a large steady rain. We would have the crazy GEM issues after we had lengthy periods of rain. My husband took the truck to a windshield repair place where they did a water test. They said that it was not the windshield leaking. Then, my husband and brother used the air hose to blow out the drains in case there was a blockage from trash, seeds, or leaves. That did not seem to work either. Finally, we gave in last month and called a different windshield repair guy. The windshield was definitely wobbly and he thought that it was leaking since it was basically just sitting in there because the glue had turned loose. Unfortunately, after the hundreds to replace, it still leaks. Please help, where on Earth could this be leaking from if it isn't the windshield? The water hits right on the GEM/Fuse Panel and Emergency Brake and ends up in the floorboard.
I don't want to buy a replacement GEM module and have it programmed (if need be) if it is still leaking.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:48 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
One thing you can pretty well bank on and that is the water is dropping from somewhere above the module and or following a path from another location..
It is either the windshield seal or the fire wall to hood rubber seal.
Good luck.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:54 PM
Woodburymoon
New User
One thing you can pretty well bank on and that is the water is dropping from somewhere above the module and or following a path from another location..
It is either the windshield seal or the fire wall to hood rubber seal.
Good luck.
Thanks Bluegrass. My husband is going to check the firewall to hood seal since we have replaced the windshield.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:53 AM
Mandy Lynn
New User
RE: GEM Module

I was at the dealership today and they said as long as I get a new module and out put it in it should work...im having rhw same issues with mine...no wipers, power windows, 4 wheel drive, no radio, no turn signals, etc...i narrowed it down doing simple tests..and that was the last thing I had to figure out...rhey are hard to get to buy once you get to it, it's easy to replace
Originally Posted by BDTMTGT
I have a 2002 F-150 4x4 with ESOF. I have been having problems that I've narrowed down to a bad GEM module. Wipers don't work, power windows don't work, 4x4 doesn't work, fan sometimes won't shut off, and the brake/shift-lock isn't working.

I'm told that if I purchase a new module I have to go to the dealer and have the programming from my old module copied to the new one.

I've also been told that I need this done if I get a used one!! I don't understand what I'm missing, but if I get one that comes from the same model and year, with all matching options, shouldn't that work???

Thanks

Old 06-02-2016, 05:56 PM
Woodburymoon
New User
We finally got our truck fixed. Apparently, our GEM had already been replaced. We ordered a new fuse block to try first. After lots of blood, sweat, and a few tears from my handy hubby, we got it put back together. It went back to doing the same thing, but after we recharged the truck battery, it reset and worked just like it should.
Our GEM module did not end up being the problem, the windshield was not where the leaks were coming from, and we were at a complete loss. I finally broke out some flex-shot caulk, and after a few different areas on the cab, the leaks quit.
The windshield ended up costing close to $300 to replace, the used fuse block was about $60 from EBay, and the hours upon hours of trouble-shooting were insurmountable, but the peace of knowing that it is working now, is priceless.

Originally Posted by Mandy Lynn
I was at the dealership today and they said as long as I get a new module and out put it in it should work...im having rhw same issues with mine...no wipers, power windows, 4 wheel drive, no radio, no turn signals, etc...i narrowed it down doing simple tests..and that was the last thing I had to figure out...rhey are hard to get to buy once you get to it, it's easy to replace

Old 09-20-2016, 10:03 AM
97 4x4 ext cab
New User
Togetherness?

Most often the windshield leaks onto the modual as the cause of failure.
Programming a new unit can be done from Ford data base the dealer should have access to.
They enter the VIN number and go to the 'as built' record for any down load needed for the VIN.
Good luck.
I've got my old & my new, along with my title that has my vin #'s all in my pockets at the dealer...do I need the truck also? Just curious because....I left it in the garage.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:25 AM
97 4x4 ext cab
New User
Togetherness?

Programming a new unit can be done from Ford data base the dealer should have access to.
They enter the VIN number and go to the 'as built' record for any down load needed for the VIN.
Good luck.
I've got my old & my new, along with my title that has my vin #'s all in my pockets at the dealer...do I need the truck also? Just curious because....I left it in the garage.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:30 AM
97 4x4 ext cab
New User
Togetherness?

Good luck.
u does the truck have to be with the box or can the 2 boxes swap info without the truck?