1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Maintain your COOLING SYSTEM!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maintain your COOLING SYSTEM!!!!

Ok so I stirred some muck up with the HPOP oil change thread just for fun. Now its time to shed some light on the picture I showed.
The initial problem was a customer (local excavation company) called and the mechanic said they just put a water pump on this 02 super duty and now they are getting coolant in the oil. They said there was a hole in the timing cover. They were right on all accounts. 2 or so gallons of pure coolant when we pulled the drain plug and about 6 gallons of milky oil/coolant mix.
<table style="width:auto;"><tbody><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Drop Box</td></tr></tbody></table>

So we prepared to pull the engine to fix it and when we pulled the water pump we found the hole
<table style="width:auto;"><tbody><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Drop Box</td></tr></tbody></table>

The hole is corrosion from poor cooling system maintenance. Not sure if or when the coolant has ever been flushed or changed. Who knows the condition since it was already refreshed with the pump change but I can assure you it was neglected. There were many pock holes in the cover.

THEN to make things even worse they tried to add leak stop to the coolant. The kind with copper flakes in it. Yep that ended up in the oil as well. Here are some more coolant damage pics
Notice the copper flakes sitting in the pan

damage to main bearings

<table style="width:auto;"><tbody><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Drop Box</td></tr></tbody></table>Damage to rod bearings

So to sum it up. Change your coolant and keep up on the coolant additives or you will be pulling your engine and replacing the timing cover, oil pan and bearings!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:15 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So did you rebuild it or rece the whole engine?

Old 01-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats guna hurt em.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:51 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Sounds like lack of changing it and no SCA.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:55 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dang!! glad that isn't on my wallet

Old 01-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Leemakesmepee
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it wasnt already 11:00 for me id go check mine. Well itll give me something to do tommarow.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:37 AM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Ouch, I wish they would stop selling that crap.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:27 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
The neglected coolant is one thing, but that leak stop junk should be outlawed. It's just a bandaid and it typically just causes more issues once it is in there, clogged heater coils, ruined water pumps, but this one takes the cake. An excavating company should know better than to neglect their equipment that way. And the leak stop..... well that's just plain stupid.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:38 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Fah, put it back together and put some Prolong in it.

Gotta wonder if it's cavitated as well...

Old 01-19-2012, 08:25 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Fah, put it back together and put some Prolong in it.

Gotta wonder if it's cavitated as well...
I think its part of cavitation, doesnt it? Id like to see the interior of the motor as well.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:29 PM
91 Dually
Elder User

My engine died due to cavitation in the rear cylinder on the driver's side. Pin holes right through the cylinder wall. The timing cover looked like new though, except that the gaskets were trashed. Speaking from experience..... Cavitation is major pain AND major bucks.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Krisx125
Posting Guru
Ew...Looks like a coolant flush for me this weekend!! What do you guys run for coolant?

Old 01-19-2012, 07:53 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The 02's came factory filled with the gold coolant, so it appears that they have changed it at least once.

How long did they drive it after the leak developed? How many miles on the truck?

Old 01-19-2012, 08:33 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by F350-6
The 02's came factory filled with the gold coolant, so it appears that they have changed it at least once.

How long did they drive it after the leak developed? How many miles on the truck?
I don't recall miles on the truck. supposedly they only ran it for a few minutes in the shop. I am not sure I believe them!

Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Ok so I stirred some muck up with the HPOP oil change thread just for fun. No its time to shed some light on the picture I showed.
The intial problem was a customer (local excavation company) called and the mechanic said they just put a water pump on this 02 super duty and now they are getting coolant in the oil. They said there was a whole in the timing cover. They were right on all accounts. 2 or so gallons of pure coolant when we pulled the drain plug and about 6 gallons of milky oil/coolant mix.

So we prepared to pull the engine to fix it and when we pulled the water pump we found the hole

The hole is corrosion from poor cooling system maintence. Not sure if or when the coolant has ever been flushed or changed. Who knows the condition since it was already refreshed with the pump change but I can assure you it was neglected. There were many pock holes in the cover.

THEN to make things even worse they tried to add leak stop to the coolant. The kind with copper flakes in it. Yep that ended up in the oil as well. Here are some more coolant damage pics
Notice the copper flakes sitting in the pan

damage to main bearings

<table style="width:auto;"><tbody><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Drop Box</td></tr></tbody></table>Damage to rod bearings

So to sum it up. Change your coolant and keep up on the coolant additives or you will be pulling your engine and replacing the timing cover, oil pan and bearings!
I' m glad we can still be friends

Quick Reply: Maintain your COOLING SYSTEM!!!!