Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

{yet} Another toolbox question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:09 AM
busyknight
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jayft8
What's the latest chapter in the Great F-150 Texas Truck Box Saga of 2012 there, Knight?
So far, nothing new. It may be time for a 'Super Duty' after all!

Did get an interesting reaction from a different forum though. Some resident "experts" there claim the F-150 bed dimensions haven't changed since at least 2009 (and one guy said you could go back to 2004 before you'd see a change in the P.U. truck's bed). Another guy chimed in and said he didn't think the capless fuel filler tube would cause a problem.
--
So I have to admit, being a novice at this Ford P.U. thing, I haven't looked at older truck beds to test what they've said. But something just doesn't sound right here. Since I've been paying attention, I have yet to actually see on the road, any full sized (60"+) floor mounted chest type tool boxes on a Ford. Every time I see a tool box on a Ford, it's a 'crossover' style.
Even the couple of pictures I've managed to find on the web {of a chest type toolbox}, don't show that area of the bed where the fuel filler hump is...so there's no way to tell from web photos I've been able to find either.
Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry to buy one so I can afford to wait until I can locate exactly what I want.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 PM
jayft8
Elder User
Originally Posted by busyknight
So far, nothing new. It may be time for a 'Super Duty' after all!

Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry to buy one so I can afford to wait until I can locate exactly what I want.
BK
Do you live nearby a community college?
I don't know if high school kids learn to weld anymore.
But it occurs to me that 1.) given the nature of your intended use for this box, and 2.) your specific dimensional preferences; that it may be worth looking into having some community college welding student or instructor custom fabricate a steel box for you.
It might end up being not too much different price-wise from a nice aluminum pre-fab.
Still trying to think outside that box.
sorry - I still can' help myself with those cheap puns.

I've been thinking about your project. I saw what I suspect was one of the Tradesman chests in the back of a Dodge at Lowes a week or so ago, but it didn't have a badge on it, so I couldn't be sure.

Thanks for keeping us posted Knight and better luck.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:05 PM
busyknight
Junior User
Thumbs up Better late than never...

Well, here’s my end result of a search for a full length (60”+) chest-type tool box that fits the bed of my 2011 F150 SCAB. I got a lot of ‘push back’ from several different Ford PU truck “experts” (not this forum) saying as how the bed of the F-150 hasn't changed since 2008 (one guy even said, since 2004). All I can say is, if that’s the case, then no full size chest type toolbox ever fit the F150! (And that obviously isn’t the case).
<O</O
Clearance around or above the ‘capless’ gas filler tube [the protrusion inside the bed, in front of the wheel well] does present a problem for any full length (i.e., 60 inch) chest type toolbox. Even the model toolbox I bought – which has the wall tapers at the bottom sides & front – still doesn’t completely clear the hump caused by the capless filler tube. When it’s sitting on the floor of the bed, it comes close but still would require another inch or two, to completely clear the filler tube hump. (Known by firsthand experience…I know, because I tried it).
<O</O
Since I suspected that would be the case, I ordered this particular toolbox model, expecting to have to elevate it somewhat, in order to clear the filler tube hump. And while a couple of pieces of 2x4’s would have solved that problem, I went to a little more trouble in order to more securely fasten it to the bed of the truck.
<O</O
First, the toolbox I bought was made in the good ‘ole US of Texas (Winters, Texas just south southwest of Abilene): TRADESMAN, Model TSTWB60BK. I bought it through Home Depot and the cost was $453 (this included shipping and Texas state sales tax). The Home Depot website shows it to cost a little more but when I called their 800 number and lightly complained about the shipping cost ($55), the lady offered a 10% discount to help offset the shipping (that saved 45 bucks over the price shown on their website). Sold! [The emailed invoice shows the 10% savings as a “promotional discount”]. Just remember if you call to request this: you get better results with honey than with vinegar.
--
Steel C-channel (using original Ford bed bolts)

First two bolt placements are critical since they locate the rest of the drilled hole locations. Showing two lateral support boards.

Very important to get the box centered between bed rails at this point.

Aluminum plates acting as support/washers for the bottom of the box - one forward & one aft on each side. Used carriage bolts with lock washers (8 total).

And the finished installation:

Old 06-22-2012, 05:22 PM
busyknight
Junior User
Lightbulb Couple other points I forgot to mention...

Seems like I recall this model of tool box has something like 15.3 cu. ft. of storage space. And if the box is mounted directly onto the C-channels, the top of the box comes up exactly even with the bed rails. As it is with mine, the box sits up just slightly above the bed rails by the thickness of those support boards I used.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:10 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BK theres nothing wrong with that, set up. Looks great

Old 06-23-2012, 01:45 PM
busyknight
Junior User
Thanks Rock -
A little trouble to go to especially since it was a "one man" operation - wasn't all together that much weight but due to it's size...just bulky to have to handle alone. But in the end, it worked out ok.
If there are any other SCAB owners who don't necessarily want a cross over style box, this may be one for you to consider. But fair warning: it is undoubtedly more trouble to "install" than a cross over (or saddle) box. The distance between C-channels will allow for sheets of plywood to be loaded (up to 3" deep) under the toolbox.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:52 PM
jayft8
Elder User
looks like you won't need to go get that Super Duty after all!

HA! The box looks like it's floating, like a magician is levitating it!

Man that looks really smart BK. I really like the idea you had to set the channel pieces nice and wide so you can slide long materials underneath the full width between the wheel wells. I had a hunch using some square tubing for elevation would get you the clearance you needed, but your well thought out set up certainly allows for better utility than I would have ended up with bolted into my truck!

Great pics and a great write-up, too. I'm sure there will be someone out there with the same obstacles you've had to work through and they will benefit from this with much appreciation, no doubt. Way to go!

Also great to hear the thumbs up on Tradesman. I like their design. It looks like you went with the black painted steel. I'm curious; did you get a price on the RhinoLiner model? Or would you have been interested in that one enough to consider it?

Old 07-15-2012, 02:11 PM
RPM371
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a quick thought for someone else that may have a similar problem. Buy a regular square bottomed box and have the notch cut out by a welding shop or as earlier mentioned at a local school. It should be relatively cheap and if you really wanted your toolbox to sit flat on the bottom of the bed, that would be the way to go.