Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

cold idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:09 PM
turbo diesel fan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold idle problem

when i start the truck when its cold it doesnt want to bump up to cold idle. itll shake and sputter and drop back into low idle and when it tries again itll do the same thing. dad says something about the fuel filter prewarmer not working? is the prewarmer wire next to the air intake? if so i think i broke that sensor

Old 01-11-2012, 02:32 PM
TristanB
New User
I was actually just about to post a question about this. I have the same issue and the only way i can make it hit fast idle is to bump the throttle. If I don't, it just idle rough and crappy. If you don't mind, I would like to tag along on this thread.

Tristan

Old 01-11-2012, 02:55 PM
turbo diesel fan
Junior User
no feel free to bud

Old 01-11-2012, 03:06 PM
TristanB
New User
i just realized that we have a second issue in common; I'm guessing the preheater is the plug in the top of the fuel filter housing? mine is broken too...

Old 01-11-2012, 03:23 PM
turbo diesel fan
Junior User
i looked it up on google it mine says its a vacuum sensor mines on the side right next to the intake tube for the turbo

Old 01-11-2012, 10:28 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by TristanB
the only way i can make it hit fast idle is to bump the throttle.
This is true, the fast idle solenoid doesn't have the power to push the throttle lever forward. Once you bump it up with your foot it should hold fine.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:47 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tecgod13
This is true, the fast idle solenoid doesn't have the power to push the throttle lever forward. Once you bump it up with your foot it should hold fine.
Same here, just bump the go pedal before i fire it up.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:52 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
fuel heater is not needed. mine has not worked for about 19 years.
check for power to the fast idle solenoid on the injector pump.
if no power there, check that the temp sender plugged in.
it is on the front of the engine next to the thermostat housing under the alternator.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Onus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had it when its really cold. 5 degrees or so that when you start it on fast idle it will only go 600 rpms but once it get a little warmer it moves up to where it should be. Also had it stall on me since it was so cold. The starting directions says have the pedal pressed to the floor if really cold and the extra fuel sure does help, just don't over rev it when its cold get a hang of it when it catches.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:17 PM
turbo diesel fan
Junior User
i just dont understand y it wont bump up on its own it just cough and lower the idle again and try to bump up again and cough

Old 01-12-2012, 07:25 PM
charleswood6969
Senior User
Depending on how cold it is, your fuel could be jelled up, or your fuel filter has water in it that has frozen. Jelled up fuel can cause idling (and running) problems until it gets warm under the hood, or until warm fuel returns to the fuel tank in enough quantity to heat the fuel past jelling point.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo diesel fan
i just dont understand y it wont bump up on its own it just cough and lower the idle again and try to bump up again and cough
I don't get what you are saying?? You NEED to step on the pedal for the fast idle solenoid to work properly. My guess is that it was designed that way, perhaps a cheaper solenoid could be used and Ford saves a few pennies. If the sticker is still there, directions for cold starting are on the driver's side sun visor.

Have you checked the wiring to the timing advance solenoid (can't remember if thats exactly what its called). When the coolant is below a given temperature, the sender will send power to both the cold idle solenoid and the timing advance solenoid.
Perhaps one, or both of the solenoids aren't working correctly. With the truck cold, pop the hood and turn the key on (but don't start the truck). Push on the throttle lever on the injection pump and see if the cold idle solenoid pops out. Release the throttle and see if the solenoid props it up. Unplug the wire on the solenoid and see if the throttle lever drops back down.

How old are your injectors and injection pump?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
2nd the bumpin of the pedal, i have to do the same and its fine

Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Crazy2
Junior User
Originally Posted by turbo diesel fan
High on the IDI is set up like car with cab on it choke won't set intill you hit the pedal. just remember you have key on first before hitting the pedal

Old 01-13-2012, 04:42 PM
turbo diesel fan
Junior User
Originally Posted by tecgod13
I don't get what you are saying?? You NEED to step on the pedal for the fast idle solenoid to work properly. My guess is that it was designed that way, perhaps a cheaper solenoid could be used and Ford saves a few pennies. If the sticker is still there, directions for cold starting are on the driver's side sun visor.

Have you checked the wiring to the timing advance solenoid (can't remember if thats exactly what its called). When the coolant is below a given temperature, the sender will send power to both the cold idle solenoid and the timing advance solenoid.
Perhaps one, or both of the solenoids aren't working correctly. With the truck cold, pop the hood and turn the key on (but don't start the truck). Push on the throttle lever on the injection pump and see if the cold idle solenoid pops out. Release the throttle and see if the solenoid props it up. Unplug the wire on the solenoid and see if the throttle lever drops back down.

How old are your injectors and injection pump?
i have had the truck for about 3 yrs and i have no clue when they were replaced

Quick Reply: cold idle problem