General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Should Kmart be dumped to save Sears?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:51 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Should Kmart be dumped to save Sears?

WXEL: Insight: Memo to Eddie Lampert: Dump Kmart to save Sears (2012-01-02)

Save core Sears brands like Craftsman and the original business, or "close a few Sears and hope for the best"?

Old 01-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't see much hope for Sears. They shot themselves in the foot when they let the quality of their merchandise go down the toilet...

Old 01-02-2012, 08:34 PM
planehunter
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I give it 2 years max before Sears/Kmart file for bankrupcy. They missed the boat to keep up with trends, and will continue to lose customers. I personally will not shop at either company due to poor quality and extreemly poor customer service.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I bet a ton of the privately owned Sears stores will be gone- Like the one here. They aren't making a whole lot of money, and only carry appliances, some lawn and garden, some tools, and TVs. They can't even order in other stuff, and order parts through the searspartsdirect.com site. It's kinda pathetic actually.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:13 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Where I am at the Kmart is the dumpy alternative to Walmart. I think there are only 2 or 3 that I know of. They should dump Kmart and focus on the core of Sears.

It looks like Sears and a lot of other companies are trying the Amazon way with their websites and listing stuff from third parties.

Sears could turn themselves around if they dump the Kmart and focus on what they do best. Who goes to Sears to buy electronics or movies? When people think Sears they think tools, lawn/garden equipment and clothing. Focus on what they are good at and dump the rest.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:42 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
I bought some clothes from sears a few years ago and after the first washing they took up so bad that I couldn't wear them. They refused to help me with my issue so I refuse to trade my heard earned money with them.

Sears also has a foot hold in Ace hardware, all the of the military PX stores just to name a couple. K-mart is nothing more than an old time dime store and that's all it will be ever be. Let it go.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:17 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
How I wish there were still the old 5 and dime stores. All of them were locally owned too I believe.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:02 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
sell both to walmart while the name is still worth something

Old 01-03-2012, 10:17 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sears started going downhill when they stopped peddling Ted Williams fishing gear.......

Old 01-03-2012, 12:30 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by planehunter
I personally will not shop at either company due to poor quality and extreemly poor customer service.
The fact that you can go to their Web site and look up information and have parts dropped on your doorstep for something you bought from them 25 years ago (say, a garage door opener) to me is good customer service.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:34 PM
mymechanic'sanidiot
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The main thing I hear about Kmart, and I wholeheartedly agree with, is their stores are awful. The ones I've been in, except for very minor things, look exactly as they did when I shopped there as a kid...30 years ago.

The local Sears isn't much better. Besides adding an electronics department that is walled off like a fortress with EAS gear, it looks exactly like it did 30 years ago.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:24 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Ed Lampert, and his crazy ideas about profit in retail is the real problem.
Kmart bought Sears, not the other way around.
His background at Goldman Sachs should tell you something about values.

The Billionaire hedge fund manager is seriously out of touch with 'Kmart shoppers' and his slinging the one thing Sears really had left (brand loyalty and recognition) Craftsman, Die Hard, Kenmore ...
will do nothing but hurt the once respected chain.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:22 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
If I were calling the shots, I would combine store foot prints into one store. For instance, in my area there is a Sears store, a Super Kmart and a Big Kmart.

The Big Kmart HAD an automotive service center that has been closed for 15-20 years now. There is room in that area to move the lawn tractors appliances and heavy tools while still operating the separate automotive center where it's currently located.

Kmart alone is a brand that I associate with cheap merchandise and cramped, dirty and cluttered stores.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:43 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In this day and economy, I truly hate to see anyone lose their job(s), but, K-Mart stores should be shut down/closed and the buildings razed.

The last time I was in a K-Mart store, I purchased two (2) Ruger 10/22 rifles, for less than $100 each.
Rat/mouse feces was all over the store.

That's been almost 20 years ago.

Unfortunately, mergers/acquisitions normally are $$$ driven, without real thought as to what is going to happen to both/all entities after the merger/acquistion.
Failure is never considered, but, is mostly the result.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:18 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
Unfortunately, mergers/acquisitions normally are $$$ driven, without real thought as to what is going to happen to both/all entities after the merger/acquistion.
Failure is never considered, but, is mostly the result.
Hmmm....

I was a Business major in college, what I learned:

Yes, these things are always $$$ driven, they're in business to make money.

Failure is ALWAYS considered the #1 "what-if" scenario, it can't be avoided.

All organizational changes involve some risk and how things will play out is unknown, you do what you can to minimize the risk and decide if the risk is worth it.

In larger, publicly-held companies, such decisions are are political and require approval from many entities - Board of Directors, shareholders, etc.

Quick Reply: Should Kmart be dumped to save Sears?