Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DP Tuner "Decel" question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 05:13 AM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DP Tuner "Decel" question

I have the Decel on my DP Tuner. Works great to decel my truck.

On Monday, I was coming down Monteagle Mountain (I-24 between Nashville and Chattanooga) pulling my 5th wheel. I pushed it into my decel tune and it keeps all of us below 50 MPH without touching the brakes.

When I got to the bottom of the grade, I pushed it back into my tow tune. It ran like chit and puffed out huge amounts of black smoke. No throttle response at all. I pulled off the road and idled for two minutes and then it responded great.

I don't really know the proper way to use the decel tune. Should I switch back into my tow tune sooner to clear out the soot caused by the back pressure?

What is the "correct" way to change out?

Old 12-29-2011, 07:47 AM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Bobby I've used my decel tune quite a bit and haven't had that experience,maybe a fluke,I'm not sure...

Old 12-29-2011, 07:57 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Neither I.

Could be the EBPV got stuck for a bit?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Yes, on my non-DP Tuner exhaust brake using the EBPV, it has gotten stuck closed and responded exactly like you are describing. That's what happened. Don't know if cleaning it somehow will fix it. I have just not used it since.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Vader0121
Senior User
Mine also will get stuck at times, I cycle the decel setting on then off to help unstick it.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:52 PM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
I thought about it sticking, but when I start it in the mornings, it sounds like it is working just wonderfully.

I am going to pull the turbo off next month and put in new push rods and a T-500.

Hey Bob, I know that you are stuck in the desert flying around in an Apache, but I wanted to tell you that I am in a ocean side camp site in Hunting Island State Park with wonderful weather

Thanks for suggesting it for my vacation.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:11 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobbyrjw
I have the Decel on my DP Tuner. Works great to decel my truck.

On Monday, I was coming down Monteagle Mountain (I-24 between Nashville and Chattanooga) pulling my 5th wheel. I pushed it into my decel tune and it keeps all of us below 50 MPH without touching the brakes.

When I got to the bottom of the grade, I pushed it back into my tow tune. It ran like chit and puffed out huge amounts of black smoke. No throttle response at all. I pulled off the road and idled for two minutes and then it responded great.

I don't really know the proper way to use the decel tune. Should I switch back into my tow tune sooner to clear out the soot caused by the back pressure?

What is the "correct" way to change out?
I don't have DP tunes yet but am hoping to in the furture. So what I am wondering is what the Decel tune is used for ? I thought it was just to quite it down for drive thru's or if you wanted to hear what someone was saying. But from what you wrote you use it for going down hills or mountains and how does it help ? Thanks I am trying to learn what each tune is good for. Thanks

Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Decel is used for slowing down when coming down a hill. Basically it actuates the EBPV closed and holds it there. No throttle should be used in the DECEL Tune.

Drive-Thru is the tune you would get to quiet down the truck so you can be heard. Again, only used during that time.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by woodnthings
Decel is used for slowing down when coming down a hill. Basically it actuates the EBPV closed and holds it there. No throttle should be used in the DECEL Tune.

Drive-Thru is the tune you would get to quiet down the truck so you can be heard. Again, only used during that time.
Thanks Ken that helps clean up my misunderstanding of the tunes.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
Bobby I've used my decel tune quite a bit and haven't had that experience,maybe a fluke,I'm not sure...
Same here.

Originally Posted by miller_feed
Could be the EBPV got stuck for a bit?
I'm thinking the same thing.

Stewart

Old 12-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm planning on buying a DP tuner when I get home but my question is my EBPV connection is disconnected on the front of the turbo pedestol, so with that being disconnected and I got a DP tuner with decel on it the decel wouldnt work....correct?

Also, I have a Banks Trans Command connected to the tranny, would I have to remove that to make my DP tuner work correctly or can Jodie make the trans command and DP tuner work together without any problems?

Old 12-30-2011, 12:57 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by robbragiel
I'm planning on buying a DP tuner when I get home but my question is my EBPV connection is disconnected on the front of the turbo pedestol, so with that being disconnected and I got a DP tuner with decel on it the decel wouldnt work....correct?

Also, I have a Banks Trans Command connected to the tranny, would I have to remove that to make my DP tuner work correctly or can Jodie make the trans command and DP tuner work together without any problems?
You would have to hook up the EBPV Solenoid again to have it work. That is the signal DP Tuner uses to command it open or closed.

You should disconnect the transcommand. I had one prior to getting my DP Tuner. The Transcommand is basically reprogramming the transmission to give you a higher line pressure. The tuners are also asking the transmission to do the same as well as modify the shift timing. The two together do not make much sense. I ended up selling my Transcommand on fleabay for $140. It may be something you try, or find someone local looking for one.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:05 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
You would have to hook up the EBPV Solenoid again to have it work. That is the signal DP Tuner uses to command it open or closed.

You should disconnect the transcommand. I had one prior to getting my DP Tuner. The Transcommand is basically reprogramming the transmission to give you a higher line pressure. The tuners are also asking the transmission to do the same as well as modify the shift timing. The two together do not make much sense. I ended up selling my Transcommand on fleabay for $140. It may be something you try, or find someone local looking for one.
I guess I have 2 choices, I can either sell it or I can install it on my EX if it will work with my Banks 6 Gun programmer, if not then I'll sell it. Thanks Ken

Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Backing up the bus here... {beeeep} {beeeep} {beeeep}.

I completely removed/plugged the red line to the turbo wastegate and I have (and use) the decel tune. I'm not sure why bobbyrjw's EBPV would be unplugged, could somebody help me understand this? The problem bobbyrjw describes happened to me while I was coming down a steep grade near Lake Tahoe. I was changing the tunes back and forth because decel was a little too slow and my tow tune was a little too fast. At the bottom of the hill, I was struck with the big black belch and puny power pedal in all tunes. I remembered the manual for the tuner said the tuner can get confused if it is switched under load - and decelerating down a hill is a load. This can also cause a complete stall (this happened to me once and what prompted me to read the manual). I just turned the key off and restarted and the problem was fixed.

I drove down another steep grade from Virginia City the next day and used a light amount of throttle to keep the speed right without any issues on any gauges. Everything was fine when I went back to the normal 60e tune at the bottom.

woodnthings might know something I don't, but my experience contradicts his statement. This is not to say he is mistaken, this is to share my experience and invite feedback.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:33 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Tugly
Backing up the bus here... {beeeep} {beeeep} {beeeep}.

I completely removed/plugged the red line to the turbo wastegate and I have (and use) the decel tune. I'm not sure why bobbyrjw's EBPV would be unplugged, could somebody help me understand this? The problem bobbyrjw describes happened to me while I was coming down a steep grade near Lake Tahoe. I was changing the tunes back and forth because decel was a little too slow and my tow tune was a little too fast. At the bottom of the hill, I was struck with the big black belch and puny power pedal in all tunes. I remembered the manual for the tuner said the tuner can get confused if it is switched under load - and decelerating down a hill is a load. This can also cause a complete stall (this happened to me once and what prompted me to read the manual). I just turned the key off and restarted and the problem was fixed.

I drove down another steep grade from Virginia City the next day and used a light amount of throttle to keep the speed right without any issues on any gauges. Everything was fine when I went back to the normal 60e tune at the bottom.

woodnthings might know something I don't, but my experience contradicts his statement. This is not to say he is mistaken, this is to share my experience and invite feedback.

The redline you have disconnected is to the wastegate as you mentioned. Not the EBPV.

The EBPV is operated by engine oil and there is a solenoid in the turbo pedistal. If you remove the connector from it, the PCM cannot drive the EBPV closed (during warmup). The decel tune operates the EBPV and not the wastegate which should be closed anyway as there is no reason it would be open with the throttle not being used.

Some disconnect the connector on the EBPV Solenoid to keep the EBPV from closing when cold out. It can reduce the get up and go until the engine warms up in really cold weather.

Originally Posted by robbragiel
I guess I have 2 choices, I can either sell it or I can install it on my EX if it will work with my Banks 6 Gun programmer, if not then I'll sell it. Thanks Ken
Yes you should use it on the EX. Banks bundles all of their mods up in segments to allow you to "build" a system. The 6 Gun program does not effect the transmission if I remember correctly. Adding HP without adding line pressure to the transmission is a sure way to shorten it's life. That sounds like the best deal for you to do.

Quick Reply: DP Tuner "Decel" question