Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DP Tuner "Decel" question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts
Also make sure you have the full ten pounds spring pressure on the EBPV. thats how you set it up after rebuild. I'm not sure this will keep it from getting stuck but at least you know it is set up right. My decel has never worked on my e99. And I know others who have had this problem. I think its the PCM tuning on the early 99.
Chet

Old 12-30-2011, 08:04 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks Ken for that added info, much appreciated. I guess it will be going into the Ex

Old 12-31-2011, 07:33 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbyrjw
Hey Bob, I know that you are stuck in the desert flying around in an Apache, but I wanted to tell you that I am in a ocean side camp site in Hunting Island State Park with wonderful weather

Thanks for suggesting it for my vacation.
Bobby,

I am actually in beautiful SC myself, for a couple of weeks of leave. Got home a few days ago.

I'm glad you are enjoying Hunting Island, it's a nice park. I love how it is removed from the hustle and bustle of Myrtle Beach, but close enough to drive up there if you want.

Have fun!

Old 12-31-2011, 09:33 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
My decel has never worked on my e99. And I know others who have had this problem. I think its the PCM tuning on the early 99.
Chet
Chet,

My Decel tune worked with my E99 XLE4 PCM. Does your EBPV work normally?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:10 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Chet,

My Decel tune worked with my E99 XLE4 PCM. Does your EBPV work normally?
Robin is that with your early PCM or your updated one? I know Pat that went to Morgan Hill one time his didn't work either and we have almost the same truck. I don't know my PCM code. When JW installed it with the trans he took the cover off, the metal one, and didn't reinstall.

Chet

Old 12-31-2011, 01:18 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Robin is that with your early PCM.
Chet
That was with my original E99 PCM. Contact Jody.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
That was with my original E99 PCM. Contact Jody.
I'm do for a reflash so thats what I'll do. God bless, Chet

Old 01-03-2012, 06:25 AM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Armed with new information in this thread, I came home from camping in South Carolina via Asheville, NC and Newport, TN (much colder on 1/1/2012 than during RRE).

I wanted to see how I pulled the steep grade on the South Carolina/North Carolina border. Pulled great. I had to slow down due to increasing Exhaust temps, but got to the top of the switchback at 45 MPH with plenty of power.

I think that I have been swithing from DECEL to TOW too quickly. I have probably been trying to accelerate before the EBPV was fully opened. I switched it off and "listened" for the change in sound and then counted to 5 before giving fuel. It worked very well.

Thanks for the lessons and the input.

Hey Bob, glad you got to take a break. Sorry that you have to go back.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:45 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also make sure you have the full ten pounds spring pressure on the EBPV. thats how you set it up after rebuild. I'm not sure this will keep it from getting stuck but at least you know it is set up right. My decel has never worked on my e99. And I know others who have had this problem. I think its the PCM tuning on the early 99.
Chet
Hello Chet I have heard alot of different people say there was problems with e99 pcm XLE4 and their tunes.

So I got ahold of James at DP and this is what he told me in his email.

" If you are going to do one of our chips then there is absolutely no need to change the pcm from early 99 to NVK unless you just want to. There is ZERO performance difference with our chip on an early 99 XLE code or on a 2000 NVK code.

This is a misunderstanding on the forums and does carry some validity but not with our chips.

Most all other programmers cannot tune the early 99 pcms because they cannot change them like the NVK or PMT. We have the ability to basically take a NVK or PMT tune and put it on a XLE early 99 pcm so you don’t have to buy a new pcm. We can modify the XLE to be exactly like a NVK or PMT is what I mean."

And with that said maybe it's just needed to be flashed with a NVK or PMT tune. I don't know to be honest?!? The more I learn about the e99 pcm issues or non issues the less I know.
But to get back on subject I love the " DECEL Tune" and that is one of reasons I too am going to go with DP over other tunes out there. When I have $$$ to get tunes I'm getting DP. It is killing me having stock XLE tune.

And after going back and forth on keeping the ebpv or getting rid of it. This tread has me convinced of 2 things.
1: I am keeping the ebpv system
2: I am going to go thru and rebuild my ebpv and make sure it only takes 10lbs of force to open the valve. So that down the road I know it set up right and everything is working. May as well the truck apart right now

My only question is how do you check the electric switch/valve on your pedestal ? Do you check with omns, low voltage or 12volts to see if it working without having it plugged into the wiring harness or pcm ? I want to bench test it.

Last edited by BadDogKuzz; 01-03-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: spelling ooppss
Old 01-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Hello Chet I have heard alot of different people say there was problems with e99 pcm XLE4 and their tunes.

So I got ahold of James at DP and this is what he told me in his email.

" If you are going to do one of our chips then there is absolutely no need to change the pcm from early 99 to NVK unless you just want to. There is ZERO performance difference with our chip on an early 99 XLE code or on a 2000 NVK code.

This is a misunderstanding on the forums and does carry some validity but not with our chips.

Most all other programmers cannot tune the early 99 pcms because they cannot change them like the NVK or PMT. We have the ability to basically take a NVK or PMT tune and put it on a XLE early 99 pcm so you don’t have to buy a new pcm. We can modify the XLE to be exactly like a NVK or PMT is what I mean."

And with that said maybe it's just needed to be flashed with a NVK or PMT tune. I don't know to be honest?!? The more I learn about the e99 pcm issues or non issues the less I know.
But to get back on subject I love the " DECEL Tune" and that is one of reasons I too am going to go with DP over other tunes out there. When I have $$$ to get tunes I'm getting DP. It is killing me having stock XLE tune.

And after going back and forth on keeping the ebpv or getting rid of it. This tread has me convinced of 2 things.
1: I am keeping the ebpv system
2: I am going to go thru and rebuild my ebpv and make sure it only takes 10lbs of force to open the valve. So that down the road I know it set up right and everything is working. May as well the truck apart right now

My only question is how do you check the electric switch/valve on your pedestal ? Do you check with omns, low voltage or 12volts to see if it working without having it plugged into the wiring harness or pcm ? I want to bench test it.
I don't know how to check the switch on the pedestal except with AE. I saw Robin do one on a truck same as mine except 2wd and his worked good. It still would not work on the decel tune. Thats why I said what I did. On another note I got home last night and saw a poudle under my rear end last night now I have to go out and see if its grease. I hope not. Thats one more thing I'd have to do also. Look up dana 50 and see how its put together on the pinion, bearing and seal.Oh well I'll have to do it all at one time now. God bless, Chet