6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Lessons learned from installing a 4” turbo back exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 05:26 PM
wgcdc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lessons learned from installing a 4” turbo back exhaust system

I recently installed a 4” Magna Flow turbo back exhaust system and I learned several things that might be useful to someone new to this type of project. This is not intended to be the “correct” answer, but I hope it will help. My truck is 2006 Fx4 with automatic transmission which I understand can be more difficult to install. I am a relative newbie so this is intended to help us new guys out. If I have something wrong, feel free to correct or add.

First issue I ran across with Magna Flow is they had 3 sets of instructions.
1. The instructions that came with the system (one page was missing)
2. The written instructions from Magna Flows website
3. The video from Magna Flow’s website.
They all said slightly different things, which was a little frustrating, otherwise I like the system.

I found these videos helpfulYou should decide up front whether you want to salvage your old exhaust system or not. IMO, your install is MUCH simpler if you decide to not salvage your old system. If you don’t salvage your old system, just take a saws all and cut it up and take it out. The saws all (with a good metal blade) will cut right through your factory system with little effort. I found that you will not have to remove shocks, lower your transmission and remove braces (like the instructions say) if you cut up your old system.

Once the old system was out, the next big challenge was getting the 4” down pipe installed. I researched this for a long time and read where folks had struggled with this part and so was I. I read where people hammered their firewall in or hammered the downpipe to get it to fit. I wasn’t going to do this. I worked at trying to get the down pipe to fit for hours with no success. One of the instructions said to remove the automatic transmission dip stick tube. On my truck, there is one nut that holds the AT dipstick tube to the engine and it is very difficult to get to, but if you want to get the downpipe in you’ll need to remove the AT dipstick tube. Once the AT dip stick tube was out of the way, the 4” down pipe went right in effortlessly. I have an RCD EGR delete kit which may have helped as well.

The next big challenge was aligning everything. It took me awhile. If you don’t have experience with this, it will just take some time.
I have read where the experienced guys can do this install in several hours, but it took me the better part of the day.

I saved my catalytic converter in case it is needed later and threw the rest of the exhaust system away.

IMO, I like the sound too. I was concerned the new system would be too loud, but with the Magna Flow muffler with no cat, it was only slightly louder than stock at idle, but it has a nice deep sound. Under hard acceleration it gets much louder. But inside the truck it is not too bad.

I think the biggest benefit is lower EGTs. Between the EGR delete and the new exhaust system, my EGTs dropped 200 – 300 degrees F.

Hope this will help someone.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:03 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Thanks for posting this Im shure it will help folks down the road for shure

Old 12-28-2011, 10:55 PM
joe_r_dog
Senior User
does it whistle a lot more now?? even with the open muffler?

Old 12-29-2011, 07:58 AM
wgcdc
Junior User
A little bit. Not near as much as straight pipe set up. There are several you tube videos you can listen to and Magna Flow has some sample sounds on their web site. IMO if you want a lot of whistle, straight pipe is the best. My truck is a family truck. The Magna Flow worked good for me, louder and deeper sounding, but not so loud the neighbors complain.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:42 PM
freedomfarmer
Senior User
Thanks for posting! My banks monster exhaust is due to arrive on wed wish me luck!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Native Tex
Junior User
I installed a Banks Monster on my 6.0 L and on my old 7.3L with a lot less trouble. Those kits came with the down pipe and alignment did not seem to be an issue. Glad it went well. I too took out the converter but have no more turbo whistle than before. I do like the sound and I can feel the better performance. I have had the truck since it was new in Feb 05 so I know all the sounds and feel of the old girl. She is going on 7 and still running with the new ones. I would't even think about a replacement.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Native Tex
Junior User
I did have to cut a bigger piece of stainless steel to replace the old converter.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:23 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's really no need for a 4" dp on a stock motor. I got a 3.5" dp to 4" exhaust and it went in no problem. Took less than an hour with one cut to the 1 piece stock dp to take out the stock exhaust and 2 hours to install my 4" exhaust and 6" stacks. The 3.5 dp with this system was a 2 piece though and made it easy.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:03 PM
toyparts
New User
i did the diamond eye 4" turbo back, kitty delete w/ muffler, just had to bend the little stud that sticks out of the firewall (that hold the heat insulation) and the down pipe went right in. i did try to save the stock exhaust, but it pissed me off and i just ended up cutting it out. oh well. sounds great and getting 18.5 mpg with the stock wheels and tires.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:51 PM
06F350PSDDually
Junior User
Pardon my newbiness, when you all (yawl) say you cut out the catalytic converter does that mean you live in a state that doesn't do emissions testing?

Also, what is the purpose of the 4" dp mod?

I read the tech section but, unless I missed it (which is entirely possible), the reasons for these mods are not given. I worked on cars (gasoline) when I was young and know just enough to be dangerous (which is why I want to learn more).

Thanks,
Steve

Sorry, I probably should have started a new thread.

Last edited by 06F350PSDDually; 12-29-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: realized I should have started a new thread
Old 12-29-2011, 04:53 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by toyparts
i did the diamond eye 4" turbo back, kitty delete w/ muffler, just had to bend the little stud that sticks out of the firewall (that hold the heat insulation) and the down pipe went right in. i did try to save the stock exhaust, but it pissed me off and i just ended up cutting it out. oh well. sounds great and getting 18.5 mpg with the stock wheels and tires.
That must be strictly highway empty. Most people see, if lucky, 12-14 in city babying it and 16-18 highway empty. I'm getting 10-11 city ( not an easy driver at ALL) and 14-16 at best highway at 75. I too have stock wheels and tires

Old 12-29-2011, 05:01 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 06F350PSDDually
Pardon my newbiness, when you all (yawl) say you cut out the catalytic converter does that mean you live in a state that doesn't do emissions testing?

Also, what is the purpose of the 4" dp mod?

I read the tech section but, unless I missed it (which is entirely possible), the reasons for these mods are not given. I worked on cars (gasoline) when I was young and know just enough to be dangerous (which is why I want to learn more).

Thanks,
Steve

Sorry, I probably should have started a new thread.
Not sure why people go with a 4" dp. 3.5" is plenty for a stock motor. Most people think that catalytic converters "choke" the exhaust and remove them along with the muffler in search of better mpgs from a 6800-7500 lb brick of a vehicle. Or they just like the sound of their diesels (like me) and remove them both for that purpose. Or they tow alot and need to keep EGTs down.

Majority of people live in non emissions testing areas and do away with them. Others find ways around testing if they live in an area that does testing.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:10 PM
toyparts
New User
Yes that mileage was empty highway miles running at 75-80 most of it. Before the exhaust i was seeing 14-15 highway.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:13 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Best highway I've seen in mine was 16. Before exhaust was about 14.5, so kudos to you