Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 F250 5.8L Smog Pump/EGR delete?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 06:17 PM
NHRedneck323
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 F250 5.8L Smog Pump/EGR delete?

Alright, so Im wondering if anyone knows what i have to do to remove my smog pump. I know there are other threads on this but i can never get a straight answer haha. I had to cut my cat off because it was in meltdown and was causing my engine to misfire. I made the mistake of cutting at the bend in my H pipe and now have to buy a new one. So basically... Does anyone sell a Y pipe (instead of an H) for a 1993 5.8L F250?
And if i block off the lines that went into my cat, will my computer get screwed up? I've heard that they were also connected to my egr system, so I'm reluctant to just plug them. If i can, ill just plug them, bypass the pump with a smaller belt, and when i replace my stock manifolds with shorty headers, ill just plug the hole in the headers (the ones I'm looking at have it). I'm usually pretty good at finding answers and know a decent amount about trucks, but I'm stumped. If anyone could help it be much appreciated!

Last edited by NHRedneck323; 12-14-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 12-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 971 Likes on 767 Posts
The EGR and Thermactor(air injection) systems are completely seperate and have different functions so eliminating one won't have any effect on the other. The air injection system on your truck includes that twisted mess of rubber lines and valves right on top of your motor and all of it can be removed without impacting EFI operation... as long as you retain the TAB/TAD solenoids and keep them electrically connected, plug any places where the system connected to the exhaust, and cap associated vacuum lines. The air pump can simply be left there as an idler, or you can fit an aftermarket idler wheel, or you could remove the pump and fit a shorter belt.. though that isn't always possible depending upon the location of the belt tensioner.
The EGR system is quite simple in comparison consisting of the valve just behind the throttlebody and the tube that connects to the front of the exhaust manifold directly below, but it cannot be eliminated without throwing codes and it actually helps improve milage so I'd suggest you leave it alone.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i agree with conanski

the bassani offroad y pipe is probably your best bet. get a hi flow cat on there as well from anyone. i am running a magnaflow on my exhaust.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:37 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,165 Likes on 920 Posts
The replies above are correct, the Bassani y-pipe is available, but it is pricey. I have one, it took a lot of debate because it cost an arm and a leg.

To answer this question: "Does anyone sell a Y pipe (instead of an H) for a 1993 5.8L F250?" The answer is yes, use one designed for a F150. It is a true y-pipe. The F250/350 have the whacky H-pipe with the monster converter.

FWIW the Bassani pipe I used on my 1992 F350 was designed for a Bronco. The front end of all these trucks is basically the same.

If you look up a y-pipe/converter for a F150 it will fit your F250 just fine. The issue will be connecting to the rest of your exhaust. A little fab work will be required.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:52 AM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Conanski
The EGR and Thermactor(air injection) systems are completely seperate and have different functions so eliminating one won't have any effect on the other. The air injection system on your truck includes that twisted mess of rubber lines and valves right on top of your motor and all of it can be removed without impacting EFI operation... as long as you retain the TAB/TAD solenoids and keep them electrically connected, plug any places where the system connected to the exhaust, and cap associated vacuum lines. The air pump can simply be left there as an idler, or you can fit an aftermarket idler wheel, or you could remove the pump and fit a shorter belt.. though that isn't always possible depending upon the location of the belt tensioner.
The EGR system is quite simple in comparison consisting of the valve just behind the throttlebody and the tube that connects to the front of the exhaust manifold directly below, but it cannot be eliminated without throwing codes and it actually helps improve milage so I'd suggest you leave it alone.
I would agree with all of this except the last statement about eliminating the EGR. I eliminated it (along with the smog pump) by using one of these - RJM Injection Tech — EGR Eliminator

I then plugged up the exhaust and intake openings. So far, no code.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:52 AM
jborushko
Senior User
I would agree with all of this except the last statement about eliminating the EGR. I eliminated it (along with the smog pump) by using one of these - RJM Injection Tech — EGR Eliminator

I then plugged up the exhaust and intake openings. So far, no code.
it doesn't work for everybody. which in fact is documented and even stated on the site
We can't guarantee these will work on every 1986-95 Ford
it didn't work on mine.

btw this topic is discused at GREAT lenght. all the answers have been brought up. try a search and you will find a wealth of information on this topic
i removed all of it, removed the pump, and re-routed my belt (and used a smaller belt) i plugged the EGR line hole in the exhaust manifold with a quarter, and a nice plate for the intake manifold. it's held up fine for ~4000 miles. but im changing to headers so...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...l#post10083312
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...nce-again.html

Old 12-15-2011, 06:57 PM
NHRedneck323
New User
Thanks guys! that helped a lot. Ill do it and see what happens. I figured the F150s Y pipe could be used, i just did't wanna dish out the cash and find out I was wrong haha

Old 04-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Salts
Senior User
Originally Posted by Conanski
so if im reading this right(which i don't think i am) i can just install the long tube headers im going to get which won't except an EGR, (unless i modify it somehow), all i need to do is just leave open the EGR tube (it would just be sucking air then) that go to the exhaust?:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/he...rd/model/f-250
these headers fit a 95 so im sure theyll fit a 97 i remember reading that this motor's exact config was made between 94-97 so there shouldn't be to many problems might have to install O'2 sensor Baf's tho