6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Help Dealer Stumped. No communication between PCM AND PATS

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:30 PM
PADoubleX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Dealer Stumped. No communication between PCM AND PATS

So, long story short. (2005 6.0l Excursion)

PCM replaced, sent to swamps programmed with FICM returned, installed crank start.

Theft light flashing.

Ford IDS tool can not see PATS module.

Dealer is now wanting to replace PATS. Can not get part until at least 01/02/2013.

Dealer advises no update to PCM programming required. Truck has never had an update since new.

Could really use some help here.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:03 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

They cannot get a part till 2013 your kidding

Old 12-14-2011, 07:13 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could use some more info on what's been done...

So you had the PCM replaced? Why?

Then had the FICM modified?

PCM programming shouldn't have much to do with the PATS not working, but should certainly be an update for it if it's never had it. Keep in mind, if it went in for warranty work or recall work, they will update it automatically sometimes...

Old 12-14-2011, 08:03 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
The PCM communicates with the PATS module to find out if a correctly coded key is in the ignition. If the right key is there, the PCM will allow the vehicle to start. If it isn't, the PCM will not allow the vehicle to start.

The most likely problem is that Swamps put the wrong program into your PCM. Although if they put a regular non-PATS program in there, you would think it would go ahead and start.

I wonder if it's possible for Swamps to get the program off of the original PCM and dump it into your new one.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:06 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
I don't think it will work to just program the PCM to non-pats. If the Pats module can't communicate with the PCM, it won't start. I think you are right on that the programming is the issue though...

Old 12-15-2011, 03:04 PM
freedomfarmer
Senior User
Ficm is at 48 - 48.5 on all test . What do I check next?

Old 12-16-2011, 05:49 PM
PADoubleX
Senior User
Originally Posted by dlibson
Could use some more info on what's been done...

So you had the PCM replaced? Why?

Then had the FICM modified?

PCM programming shouldn't have much to do with the PATS not working, but should certainly be an update for it if it's never had it. Keep in mind, if it went in for warranty work or recall work, they will update it automatically sometimes...
OK. Last Year my FICM failed. I replaced it with one from Swamp's. Truck ran great for 8 months. Drove to work one day, crank no start.

Diagnosed PCM as a failure by codes. Bought new PCM from Ford, sent it and FICM to Swamps for programming.

Truck still crank no start. Drove myself insane checking things. Removed FICM, sent to Swamps to confirm FICM is good, benchtested there as well as vehicle tested, both tests passed.

Reinstall FICM, theft light rapidly flashing. Ford IDS tool could not communicate with PATS. Gave the F up and had truck towed to dealer with my tail between my legs.

Dealership diagnoses bad PATS, I meant to say 1/2/2012, dealer installs new PATS, did not fix problem.

Dealer now says FICM is over voltage and is bad. This is the 58V FICM from swamps, explain to dealer, have Dave from Swamps call dealer to explain. Dealer wants to replace FICM 800 + hour labor.

Tomorrow, I'm removing the FICM from the truck to send to SWAMPS to verifiy FICM is good.

Dealer stumped. I could throw parts at it too.

IDEAS? My vote, is bad programming or bad PCM.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:09 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
Sounds to me like you need to do some verification on wiring. Make sure the wires the go between the PATS module and the PCM are good.

The FICM won't really matter for the pats light...

Old 12-17-2011, 08:56 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
with out doing a lot of digging I think the pcm contains pats in this truck. if it worked prior to the reflash then I would call the folks that reflashed it.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:22 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
Oh, if that's the case, yeah. Reflash would be the issue most likely...

Old 12-21-2011, 02:38 PM
PADoubleX
Senior User
PATS is a seperate module from PCM. I have communication now.

Swapped FICM with a known good FICM truck fired right up. Send dead one to Swamps.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:30 PM
AnthonyAloisio
New User
Originally Posted by dlibson
I don't think it will work to just program the PCM to non-pats. If the Pats module can't communicate with the PCM, it won't start. I think you are right on that the programming is the issue though...
It actually does work to put a non PATS PCM in where there shld be PATS I've got a prob with my 97 Expedition and it runs with a non PATS PCM but still will not start with the original PCM. Mine isn't communicating as well still trying to track down the problem I guess it would depend on what type of PATS the truck has as well

Old 10-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
OLD thread......

Old 10-03-2015, 10:32 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyAloisio
It actually does work to put a non PATS PCM in where there shld be PATS I've got a prob with my 97 Expedition and it runs with a non PATS PCM but still will not start with the original PCM. Mine isn't communicating as well still trying to track down the problem I guess it would depend on what type of PATS the truck has as well
I know that this is a very old thread. Are you also having a problem beyond the non-Pats Vs the Pats PCMs?

You may also want to check all the pins.And if any modules have been
removed and replaced take a very close look at both pins and sockets.

Your looking for a displaced connector at the PCM or VSM (Vehicle Security Module).

I find it interesting that so many people hate the PATS system. I would be happy
to have it in my truck.

But as far as the basic things go I would need the right programed PCM,VSM,cluster,Pats antenna and some harness work.
That is all dependent on if it would even work and the software would pay fair. The reason for the cluster would be for the lamp.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 10-04-2015, 12:54 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
I know that this is a very old thread. Are you also having a problem beyond the non-Pats Vs the Pats PCMs?

You may also want to check all the pins.And if any modules have been
removed and replaced take a very close look at both pins and sockets.

Your looking for a displaced connector at the PCM or VSM (Vehicle Security Module).

I find it interesting that so many people hate the PATS system. I would be happy
to have it in my truck.

But as far as the basic things go I would need the right programed PCM,VSM,cluster,Pats antenna and some harness work.
That is all dependent on if it would even work and the software would pay fair. The reason for the cluster would be for the lamp.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder
I haven't dealt much with Ford PATS, but the Nissan system can drive a person insane, especially Pathfinder and Maxima.

Josh