Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Air intrusion

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Forddiesel17
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air intrusion

Ok so i know that i have a little bit of air intrusion. I took my fuel filter off and it's not completely full but maybe a half an inch from the top. I am in the process of putting on an electic pump, will this even help?
all my glow plugs check out and its getting hard to start.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Ffemt10
Senior User
The electric pump will help, but i read only certain types will actually last on these trucks, if you have wet injectors i suggest replacing the orings, and checking for heavy corrosion on the lines and wet spots on the lines themselves...

Old 12-01-2011, 01:37 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It will help prime it, in the mornings, it doesn't help the air intrusion problem.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:47 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
an e-pump doesn't combat air intrusion.however what it does do,is fill and prime the fuel system itself rather than requiring the engine to turn over to do it, in such an event that fuel has drained back (our most common issue.)
if there is a leak before the e-pump though,it's not going to help as it will still stuck air of course.
they do have check valves in them though,which means fuel can only go back so far (again if the leak is not pre-pump.)
so in short,even if fuel has left the building lol.an e-pump should prime the system and have her ready to fire once the WTS light is out.

an air intrusion issue is not often a hard start,because the ip still has lots of fuel in it so it's going to run on that.if she stalls out after an easy start,then you know fuel has drained back.
a hard first start,followed by no stalling,indicates generally a starting system,or glow plug system issue.
to have a diesel fire up instantly when its cold,you need (listed in order of importance imho) :
1.good compression.
2.good starting system.
3.good GP system (or other heating device.)
4.good fuel system.
5.power at the FSS.

notice the list of importance doesn't include actually firing up running until she'll made to turn over super strong again,in fact getting fuel (to actually run) is pretty much the last concern if your looking to gain instant cold starts that is.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Ffemt10
Senior User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
an e-pump doesn't combat air intrusion.however what it does do,is fill and prime the fuel system itself rather than requiring the engine to turn over to do it, in such an event that fuel has drained back (our most common issue.)
if there is a leak before the e-pump though,it's not going to help as it will still stuck air of course.
they do have check valves in them though,which means fuel can only go back so far (again if the leak is not pre-pump.)
so in short,even if fuel has left the building lol.an e-pump should prime the system and have her ready to fire once the WTS light is out.

an air intrusion issue is not often a hard start,because the ip still has lots of fuel in it so it's going to run on that.if she stalls out after an easy start,then you know fuel has drained back.
a hard first start,followed by no stalling,indicates generally a starting system,or glow plug system issue.
to have a diesel fire up instantly when its cold,you need (listed in order of importance imho) :
1.good compression.
2.good starting system.
3.good GP system (or other heating device.)
4.good fuel system.
5.power at the FSS.

notice the list of importance doesn't include actually firing up running until she'll made to turn over super strong again,in fact getting fuel (to actually run) is pretty much the last concern if your looking to gain instant cold starts that is.

your best explanation is what he has to say here...