deano-was-his-name-o
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm good point starmilt. Thanks for the help

Old 11-25-2011, 12:06 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thinking about it more, you said it doesn't squat your truck. some trailers are built with the axles pretty far forward, so as to keep more weight on the trailer axles, instead of the truck, if yours is like this moving your load forward on the trailer(if possible) might just help your problem. Barring this (I still hate electric brakes) I got my first gooseneck in 73 and it beat a bumper pull bad for heavy loads, but I always said keep a hole handy as their is no such thing as an emergency stop.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:14 AM
deano-was-his-name-o
Senior User
The center of the 2 axles - about 60 - 65% of the deck is in front of the axles. I try to leave a big gap in front of me when towing, but there is thoes rare times when something happens and you have no choice. The truck does fine under thoes terms but its the rare times that I was wondering about the brake. I wish people in other vehicles would realize that you don't stop as fast as them. Lol

Old 11-25-2011, 12:16 AM
1BadB2
Senior User
Originally Posted by starmilt
1bad why would you call anybody a liar, I have had many numerous trailers push me with all brakes working and sliding,

what state do you live in? I need to steer clear of you.

so I know it is possible. I saw nowhere he is back pedaling, and nowhere he mentioned being overloaded.

If his truck is having problems stopping the load and he thinks a compression brake is the answer, he is overloaded or under equipped.

The only lie that I have seen, I hope is not intentional, but instead just ignorance is someone stating as fact that a turbo acts like a compression brake,

Jesus christ, I'd love to see your truck, do you even have a turbocharger?

Drive a naturally aspirated 7.3 5spd truck. Then drive a 7.3 facotry turboed 5spd truck. The factory turboed truck will compression brake much better. This is due to the turbocharger. It is much more noticeable on the stock systems because they have tiny turbine sides. The wastegate is shut, the exhaust is colder, and the charger is not forcing any boost. The exhaust air is forced to pass through the turbine housing, and the exhaust wheel which is not moving quick enough to pass it, thus "chopping" the air and acting as a bottleneck and reducing the exhaust flow.

While you have more than once in this thread passed out bad info, no one has stooped to calling you a liar.
I have passed out no bad info. My IDI and turbo experience is far beyond yours.

Originally Posted by deano-was-his-name-o
1bad - read the rest.... it said quit picking. Get off the conversation.

No. Quit being unsafe and posting B.S in an open forum.
Nobody wants advice from you. You have picked on everyone here. Everybody is trying to tell you the same thing.

two, equally ignorant people are telling me the same thing.
You don't know me or anybody else. No I don't know you and I don't want to. I tried to tell you politely to shut up.

I really dont care.
Starmilt you brought up a good point. My hitch is directly over the rear axle. That might be some of my problem. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you. This is the only hitch I have ever installed and I followed the directions. My truck does not squat in the back, but do you think a set of bags would help level things out, since its not a good idea to pit a brake on (that's what I'm getting out of the advice ) This was a great forum I agree. But looks like not anymore. I can see why the old guys left. I'm thinking about it too now. Definitely miss the old guys and their true knowledge. Oh well. I was really surprised to have this happen I come here like everyone else. Just looking for help with a problem that I can't figure out on my own.
Like I said... you asked, I told you. It wasn't what you wanted to hear. Don't act like a crybaby because I told you your tow rig is unsafe for the roads.

You asked about compression braking, not emergency stopping. This means you are having issues slowing your load going down longer grades, that is what a compression brake is for... saving your brakes on long grades. Not emergency stopping, not primary stopping. A compression brake will NOT stop faster than your truck/trailer brake combo, and if it does... you have issues.

If all of your equipment is working 100% (I know its not, but you think it is), and you are feeling unsafe when trying to stop faster... guess what?

its time to get a medium-duty truck!

Old 11-25-2011, 12:25 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
By your own profile You have a bronco 11 and put 4 to 9999 miles a year on it. sorry where I am from, the girls use them for roller skates until they are about 16, then they step up to a pickup.
I averaged pulling loads more miles than you claim to drive before I ever had liscence.
I realize you probably, might have gotten a pickup, maybe even an idi since you have updated your profile, but I am quite sure I have backed an idi up more miles than you have driven one. This will be my last post waisting my time on you, but beware, I have been known to drive lots of miles in your state with my junk, and have for quite a few years.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:37 AM
deano-was-his-name-o
Senior User
Hey starmilt I sent you a message

Old 11-25-2011, 12:52 AM
1BadB2
Senior User
Originally Posted by starmilt
By your own profile You have a bronco 11 and put 4 to 9999 miles a year on it. sorry where I am from, the girls use them for roller skates until they are about 16, then they step up to a pickup.
I averaged pulling loads more miles than you claim to drive before I ever had liscence.
I realize you probably, might have gotten a pickup, maybe even an idi since you have updated your profile, but I am quite sure I have backed an idi up more miles than you have driven one. This will be my last post waisting my time on you, but beware, I have been known to drive lots of miles in your state with my junk, and have for quite a few years.

First off, you should invest in a dictionary, or even turn your spell check on. Your spelling is atrocious throughout this thread.

Secondly, you're funny.....you do see I've been on this website longer than you, right? I've never touched the profile since I signed up.

here's my roller skate, with the wife driving too, I guess it is a girls truck:

As for IDI's.... yeah, I have one, highest power IDI you've ever seen too:

This didn't have to turn into a heated debate and pissing match, but neither one of you can comprehend what I'm trying to explain to you because your heads are pushed so far up your backside in your own ideas.

This is an open forum, that means when you post you open yourself to ridicule and speculation. The OP provided me all of the info to "roast" him. Don't be upset at me or try to turn this on me because you are unsafe, uneducated on the topic, and unwilling to learn.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:51 AM
ADTMan
Elder User
You know, it really disappoints me to see this kind of crap going on. There is no need to be a complete jerk to someone. There is ALWAYS a POLITE way to say things to people. I really don't think it matters that you have been a member longer than star. He has DAMN sure posted A LOT more than you. Digging on someones spelling is just bullying. I personally wouldn't take ANY advice from someone that just dumped, god knows honestly, how much money into and IDI that will never out perform a tuned up cummins...EVER. We all have hobbies and that is cool. But to come on here and bull your way around arrogantly is just bull#*****. Star has sure enough helped me with lots of things with his posts over the years. I come on here to learn from people that OWN these and KNOW how to work on them.

I do not disagree with you, I just disagree with you rudeness. No one else is rude in here, what makes you so special. You need to get off your high horse oh mighty one. You don't own or operate this forum. You are not a moderator. You are NOTHING in here. Take your attitude and leave, promise we will be just fine without you here *****. This really burns me up because star is one helluva a guy. He is funny and he has forgotten more knowledge than you will ever acquire in your lifetime, especially with your, I AM GOD attitude.

Folks come on here to get help, suggestions, encouragement and some even need to vent now and then. I have had great experiences on here. If this is what it is going to turn into then I don't want to be a part of this. You are nothing more than a sniveling nosed punk in my opinion.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:27 AM
1BadB2
Senior User
Originally Posted by ADTMan
I personally wouldn't take ANY advice from someone that just dumped, god knows honestly, how much money into and IDI that will never out perform a tuned up cummins...EVER.

right, because you have driven my truck, and compared it to a CTD. Not only that, but there has been just so many IDI's built at this level and failed that its common knowledge that the IDI is incapable of being on the same level

I do not disagree with you, I just disagree with you rudeness. No one else is rude in here
Im being rude? No, I'm being blunt.

Your post was rude, and I am the only one that has not broken the rules. I have made no personal attacks, or called anyone names. Unlike you.

Pissing someone off because they disagree with me is not against the rules. I think you might need to take a vacation.

I don't tip toe around peoples feelings. They are wrong, and being unsafe. I would rather hurt their feelings here, than have them hurt someone on the road. If they don't want to listen, they need to quit posting in open forum. I started out nicely, and got told how I was wrong about the turbo and I don't understand the functions, ect. That provoked my latter posts.

Being told to shut up and leave him alone because he doesn't like my opinion. Guess what.. it doesn't work that way.

I call a spade a spade.

You are appalled at how untactful this forum has become (sounds like I'm not the only instance you've seen, because I certainly have no changed the pace of the board). Well, I am appalled that people would rather ignore unsafe actions, and allow misinformation be spout out in an effort to not hurt members feelings. I get it, we need to be courteous to others, and I wasn't out of line in what I told him. I didn't call him names (I've been warned for name calling, and it was MUCH less than what you just unleashed on me), I didn't insult him. I just told him how the turbocharger acts as a compression brake. I also addressed (as well as several other members) the wishy-washy discrepancies in his posts, as well as potential issues.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:19 AM
1BadB2
Senior User
you know what... f-it.

I'm tired of getting worked up in threads over trying to help people that don't want to listen when I try to remedy their issue.

You want a direct answer to your original question. Here goes:

Yes, you can install an exhaust brake. You can get way with the stock valve springs under 2500rpm. Get a 3" exhaust valve like this:

JEGS 30832 Electric Exhaust Cutout 3" Single Kit JEGS | eBay

drill a 3/4" hole in the butterfly. Install it so the exhaust downstream will help keep it shut. Install it at the bottom of your downpipe.

If you want to play it safe with the valve springs and be able to use this brake above 2500 install a set of comp 910 springs. They are direct replacement.

Have fun.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:55 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
good god what an ordeal.
you can't force anyone to do things a certain way.so don't get so worked up lol.

personally,i would investigate the front tire hop issue.
at least understand and except that the front brakes are not supposed to make the front wheels hop and address this for starters.
i like to make things work as their supposed to first and go from there.
i do hope your not "only" looking for exhaust brake info,but hopefully keeping an open mind about the factory brakes too.
also,it is a good idea to remember these trucks are rated for well under 20k gross.

see,the same things can be said in peaceful laid back manner.there's no need to get bent out of shape lol.

Originally Posted by deano-was-his-name-o
My front wheels will skip empty on a fast stop.
see,this is why i would start right here,before worrying about trying to move your hitch forward (but that sounds like it wouldn't be a bad idea either.)
perhaps the calipers are sticking,or the rotors need to be turned or replaced.
your sure its the front brakes "skipping" and not the rear? almost seems like your describing anti lock brakes,but of course we've only got 'em on the rear.something isn't right.

on another note;
if you apply your trailer brakes,will it bring your truck right to a stop without using the trucks brakes at all?

Old 11-25-2011, 07:25 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow he's a ****. There's answering questions, and then there's having a stick up your *** and "knowing" that you are the only person whose opinion matters and everyone else is a helpless idiot for not taking what you say as scripture...

Old 11-25-2011, 07:29 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,172 Posts
now now guys, lets not drop ourselves to a lower level and start name calling.

remember, when we lower ourselves to the level of the person we disagree with, we become no better than they are.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:36 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This one's closed until the forum mods can deal with it.