1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

please help with coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 PM
BROWN-BOMBER
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please help with coolant leak

Hello, I was driving and my truck started to sputter. I popped the hood and there was coolant all over my engine block. I found it coming from the outlet that is located on the front=top of the intake manifold. And from there is a hose going to the water pump.....im not sure if that part i have is stock or what, Thats what i would like to know please. and do they sell that part anymore? mines on its last leg. ? please help. thanks, rick.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Rick - We really need to know what engine you have. From the description you gave I'd guess a 302 or 351W, but we do need to know.

If the hose is very short, like 4" long or thereabouts, it is the bypass hose and is easily replaced. Can you take a picture and point it out?

Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 PM
BROWN-BOMBER
Junior User
Hi, Yes my apoligies. I have a 1983 ford f-150 1/2 ton pick up, with the v8 windsor engine. carberator.

So the part in question that i feel i need to replace is the nipple that comes out of the intake manifold. As of now it is a short bypass hose. ....the hose looks fine....
however the heater hose nipple on the manifold looks pretty bad......
whats my best options? i was thinking junkyard but there is not one anywhere near me....

Rick.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by BROWN-BOMBER
Hi, Yes my apoligies. I have a 1983 ford f-150 1/2 ton pick up, with the v8 windsor engine. carberator.

So the part in question that i feel i need to replace is the nipple that comes out of the intake manifold. As of now it is a short bypass hose. ....the hose looks fine....
however the heater hose nipple on the manifold looks pretty bad......
whats my best options? i was thinking junkyard but there is not one anywhere near me....

Rick.
Bingo. I was going to ask you to go to User Control Panel (User CP to the upper left) and fill out the location, but you sorta beat me to it. Helps us know what you have and where you are so's we can help you better. Who knows, you may be close to me or someone else on here.

Can you post a picture of what you are talking about? I'm trying to figure out which nipple it is as the hose connects to two of them - one on each end.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:51 PM
BROWN-BOMBER
Junior User
im going to get a new bypass hose to be safe. who know how old that one is. lol. ill sart with the least expensive fix first...is replacing that nipple complicated? whats the correct name for that part btw? thanks.Cheers! Rick.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 PM
BROWN-BOMBER
Junior User
Hi gary im in los angeles. I will update my stats soon . Internet is kinda slow right now so im staying on this page for now lol.

Anyways, i can get a pic but my phone camara doesnt have a flash. fml j/k. ill try with a flashlight soon. but its basically this part which on the bottom has threads that thread into my intake manifold( front passenger side ,front as in front of the engine.....) then on top of the threads its about 2-3 inches that you could put a wrench on to remove/install, on top of that is a nipple for a hose....on the side there is some sort of sensor with hoses coming out of it. hope that makes sense...everything i described is all on that one part. about tthe size of a large shot glass

Old 11-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
IIRC, there's a nipple on the water pump and one on the intake manifold. And, I tend to remember there being a slot in the end of it as if you could take it out with a giant screwdriver. But, I seriously doubt I have a screwdriver that large and I have a LOT of tools. Further, I doubt I'm strong enough to break it loose if I have the screwdriver.

So, I think a pipe wrench would be the only way to get it out and you'll ruin it in the process. But, if it is already bad......

Old 11-15-2011, 10:08 PM
BROWN-BOMBER
Junior User
well i think i can leave it in there and just clamp the crap out of it. but i think it will be a problem again. its the nipple coming off the intake manifold. do i need to take the manifold off to replace ? or is it just unscew the old and screw in the replacement? where could i get another one btw? thanks gary for helping me. im able to think more rationally about this when talking about it

Old 11-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yes, now I remember. The one on the intake does have a hex for a wrench. And, it has a fitting for a temp sensor of some kind, but that port wasn't used in my application.

Assuming your manifold is cast iron you may get the fitting out ok. But, if it is aluminum like mine it'll probably be seized and won't come w/o destroying the threads in the manifold or leaving the threads of the fitting in the manifold. That's 'cause some previous owner probably ran water and not anti-freeze in the cooling system. Since aluminum and iron are very dissimilar metals on the galvanic chart, putting them in contact w/each other and water w/o antifreeze causes a galvanic action that basically welds them together.

What I've seen is that the rolled flange on the end of the fitting goes away, so if that's the problem you can probably get by with replacing the bypass hose and clamping it tightly to the shank of the fitting.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Does your truck have a sensor in the port on that fitting? If so, you need a true replacement. If not, you can probably get by with replacing it with something like the fitting that is in the water pump. I think both use pipe threads and they are probably the same size. And, a parts store will probably have that. In fact, they may have the proper fitting. Or, Ford should have it.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:17 PM
BROWN-BOMBER
Junior User
yeah hopefully i can get by with a new hose and really tight clamps? is there a compound i could apply to have a better seal? my intake is cast iron. its the original from the 80s....
i found a pic of what it kinda looks like.....

Old 11-15-2011, 10:18 PM
BROWN-BOMBER
Junior User
<a href="http://bit.ly/hOnnfO" target="_blank" />Check out this image!</a>

Old 11-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
You may be in luck w/the cast iron intake. You may have to heat the fitting w/a propane torch, but it should come out. Although, as that picture shows it may not be useable ever again.

And, btw, my fitting is curved like a swan's neck. Comes up and makes a 90 degree bend toward the front, with the fitting for the sensor in the back.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 PM
BROWN-BOMBER
Junior User
yes there is a sensor in my fitting. I would like to just get a nipple like you mentioned and be done with it. it looks like that sensor has something to do with smog as there is a hose going to the evaporative cannister....

Old 11-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Forgot. I don't think compound will help, but I'm just guessing since I don't really know where the leak is - at the hose/fitting interface? Where the fitting screws into the manifold?

Quick Reply: please help with coolant leak