6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Oil level

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil level

Ok, I'll be the first to admit, I am in no way involved in this story in the first person. But our company purchasing agent told me today that we had a problem with our 2011 6.2 trucks. Seems as though three of them began running very rough, no power, could barely maintain 60 mph on the way to the shop. The Ford dealer did a quick check and found all three to have been over-filled by two full quarts! Our company lube guy added the required amount of oil, then checked the stick and found it low, so he added oil until it came up to "full". He did not wait a bit, but he didn't exactly "quick-stick" it either. The Ford techs said the 6.2 engines have a bit of a slow return when filling it from the filler, and are very sensitive to oil level, so they said just fill it with the required amount and let it sit for 15 minutes before checking the level. I know it seems basic, but in case anyone out there suddenly finds their 6.2 running badly after an oil change you may find this helpful.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Technocrsr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sand_Man
Ok, I'll be the first to admit, I am in no way involved in this story in the first person. But our company purchasing agent told me today that we had a problem with our 2011 6.2 trucks. Seems as though three of them began running very rough, no power, could barely maintain 60 mph on the way to the shop. The Ford dealer did a quick check and found all three to have been over-filled by two full quarts! Our company lube guy added the required amount of oil, then checked the stick and found it low, so he added oil until it came up to "full". He did not wait a bit, but he didn't exactly "quick-stick" it either. The Ford techs said the 6.2 engines have a bit of a slow return when filling it from the filler, and are very sensitive to oil level, so they said just fill it with the required amount and let it sit for 15 minutes before checking the level. I know it seems basic, but in case anyone out there suddenly finds their 6.2 running badly after an oil change you may find this helpful.
Good Info, I feel sorry for the company lube boy, in my world he will be looking for a new lube job, there is big damage in the details.
Sometimes overfilling is wors than anything, seals etc.

I have vehicles that I bring to walmart (not the 6.2) and always tell them NOT to overfill the moteroil, after more than 30 oil changes there that didnot happen yet.

The 6.2 goes to the dealer for 2 or 3 times than I do it myself, pretty easy to do.

BTW, that oil level stick is just goofy as hell, I don't like it.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
I can't say I've ever seen it (my truck is a V10), I've looked under the hood of the 6.2's when they first bought them, but not much else. They are sure packed in there, but then again they aren't nearly as bad as the 6.7 diesels. Our company bought 6 of each, and they are happy with both. I like the interior of the new trucks. They bought the basic work trucks, but they are still very nice inside.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Onus
Posting Guru
You would think we would learn after awhile. Fill to the factory recommended. In some cases the older trucks had miss calibrated dipsticks. Plus oil should be checked when at operating temperature. Thats what i've always been told.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:48 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Ouch! Hard lesson to learn...and is usually because they got to get them in...and out quickly.

I agree...drain...and add recommended amount. Start...let get to operating temp...and let sit for 15min. Check...

biz