Sponsored by: Moser

Ecoboost boost gauge options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:30 AM
tspangle84
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ecoboost boost gauge options?

Has anyone found a decent-looking boost gauge/mounting location for the 2011-up F-150? I'd like to have one to keep an eye on my Ecoboost, but I don't want some cheap, hacked-looking thing in the beautiful interior of my $45k Lariat. Ideally, I'd like an A-pillar gauge pod and a nice analog Autometer or VDO gauge, but I'm willing to consider anything that looks good and does the job.

Thanks.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:52 AM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 12 FX4 on order with the EB motor. I did not even think about a boost or pyro gauge. The SD diesels come with a pyro now I think. I dont care one way or another as now the ECM watches everything and all you really need is a speedo, a bell even goes off when you are 50 miles from empty so a gas gauge is kind of pointless as you can see your miles to empty at all times. Kind of like my dads 62 Buick, just a gas gauge and lights. But it had a red (hot) light and a blue (cold light) so to let you know it was cold and to drive it in a sane manner until it warmed up. What goes around, comes back around I guess. The wife's 11 explorer only has a fuel gauge, so to speak, just like dads 62 Buick. I refuse to butcher a 50K truck to add a bunch of worthless gauges, which is not easy to do with the computer wiring and connections.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:29 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
true ... but boost gauges are cool

I question the usefullness of the guages ford provides anyway. L-H don't mean much to me. nor does C-H.

This is something ford could learn from its chevrolet competitor. i.e. put acual guages in the truck with actual numbers.

I drove a chevy this last weekend and it was kinda neat knowing that the Oil pressure went from 40psi up to 50psi as the RPM's went from 2000 to 3000. Also it was nice to see that it runs at EXACTLY 210 degrees, or so by the guage.

They could learn a thing or two about transmission shift strategy as well.... the chebby shifted much better than the fords ... but i digress.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:40 AM
awq134
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tspangle84
Has anyone found a decent-looking boost gauge/mounting location for the 2011-up F-150? I'd like to have one to keep an eye on my Ecoboost, but I don't want some cheap, hacked-looking thing in the beautiful interior of my $45k Lariat. Ideally, I'd like an A-pillar gauge pod and a nice analog Autometer or VDO gauge, but I'm willing to consider anything that looks good and does the job.

Thanks.
not sure about yoru year truck but if you have a 2x4 is there that stupid coin thing on the dash behind yoru column shifter, or around that area if you have a console shifter. I pulled mine out and put in a volt meter gauge in it's place.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:49 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by awq134
not sure about yoru year truck but if you have a 2x4 is there that stupid coin thing on the dash behind yoru column shifter, or around that area if you have a console shifter. I pulled mine out and put in a volt meter gauge in it's place.
got pics?

that's an awesome idea.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:35 AM
tspangle84
Senior User
Unfortunately for this application, mine is a 4x4. It's a 2011, if that matters.

And yes, the reason I want a boost gauge is because it's cool. And I wholeheartedly agree about Ford's useless gauges. They are nothing more than analog idiot lights. It's been that way since the mid-80s at least. The explanation I heard was that people were freaking out because they were seeing their gauges move up and down, and it was causing more service calls.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:27 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I had a boost gauge on my a-pillar. I used a universal pillar pod which took quite a bit of modifying to make fit. I took it off last night because I'm working on a different setup. I may have pics of the new setup sometime this weekend. If it looks like crap I won't have pics.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:29 PM
tspangle84
Senior User
Originally Posted by NASSTY
I had a boost gauge on my a-pillar. I used a universal pillar pod which took quite a bit of modifying to make fit. I took it off last night because I'm working on a different setup. I may have pics of the new setup sometime this weekend. If it looks like crap I won't have pics.
Thanks, I'd love to see it.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:23 PM
funnythebunny
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure if it was the Harley-Davidson or the Saleen, but I recall seeing a boost gauge pod mounted in the center dash coin/cell phone pocket.

There's something familiar on ebay; Try Here

Old 11-13-2011, 04:36 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by funnythebunny
I'm not sure if it was the Harley-Davidson or the Saleen, but I recall seeing a boost gauge pod mounted in the center dash coin/cell phone pocket.

There's something familiar on ebay; Try Here
I was looking into the 04-08 saleen gauge pod. But the cubby hole on top of the dash is bigger on a 09+ F150 so the Saleen pod wouldn't fit good.

Originally Posted by tspangle84
Thanks, I'd love to see it.
The new gauge pod I was working on didn't quite work out. For now I'm back to using the universal a -pillar pod. The gauges are too deep for my new pod to work. I haven't fully given up on it yet but as I modify the pod to make it work the pod becomes less attractive. I'm still going finish it sometime to see what it looks like.

Ecoboost owners that are interested in having a boost gauge should start frequently emailing Lotek and other companies that make replacement a-pillar trim pieces w/gauge pods. This would show them that there is a demand for them and would be worth it for them to market them.