1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Trans & Differential Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Thumper47
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans & Differential Fluid Change

2002 Ranger XLT ext cab, 4.0L SOHC, M5OD trans, 4WD.

Just posting in case it might serve as helpful to someone.
Changed the fluids in both the front and the rear differentials this weekend, along with fluids in transmission and transfer case.
If you haven't done it in the past 40 or 50 thousand (or less for trans & transfer case), you should give it a try; you'll notice the difference.
Used fluids called for in owner's manual: 80w90 in differentials, with 4oz of friction modifier in rear diff. Mercon ATF in transmission and transfer case.
Had done fluid change in transmission previously many thousands of miles ago, and could immediately appreciate the difference at that time. Well, doing it now at 76,000 miles also produced improved shifting,etc., so was well worth the expense and effort.
Changine fluids in differentials was a different experience. Since draining front diff requires dropping a bunch of stuff under the front end, I opted to try my luck at suctioning the old fluid out, realizing that this procedure may not remove any small "particles" laying in bottom of case, but new fluid had to be better than what was in there. Did same with rear diff just because I didn't want to remove/replace cover. Rear diff fluids were replaced early in truck's life when some warranty work was performed on rear end, so this was second change for it as well at the transmission.
Have ya ever tried suctioning 80w90 thru a tube about 3/16 i.d.? (That's about as large a tube as I could use and still reach entirely to bottom of diff case thru the fill hole) It was a challenge, but we got it done, so truck is now doing it's happy dance again.
A search will give advise for changing your trans fluid, and if you have the M5OD, I highly recommend it. FWIW. (Oh, by the way, I would NOT advise my less-than-intelligent way that I changed the fluids in the diffs. Will never do that agian.)
Thanks.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:38 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The rear diff warrenty work didn't replace the fluid with 75w140 did it?

Why not use 75w140?

Did you use Mercon V in the transmission?

Don't overlook the power steering fluid.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Thumper47
Senior User
g_k50,
No, my owner's manual calls for 80w90 in both differentials, with friction modifier in rear. I'd say from the viscosity of what came out that it was formerly replaced with same. I could check my warranty ticket to make sure, but it is really a moot point at this time.
My owner's manual also specifically says to not use Mercon V.

Intend to flush cooling system and brakes next, with power steering possible.
Was kinda wondering about the clutch slave cylinder also....
It's always somethin'.... (sigh...)

Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Brake fluid should be flushed periodically. It absorbs moisture, as designed, and in humid climates can do so at an alarming rate.
Flushing the fluid not only improves the function of the hydraulic system, but also helps extend the life of the parts it is comprised of. Both the brake system, and hydraulic clutch system benefit from periodic fluid flushes. If the fluid looks dark, it's time to consider flushing it out.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:17 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Thumper47
2002 Ranger XLT ext cab, 4.0L SOHC, M5OD trans, 4WD.

Just posting in case it might serve as helpful to someone.
Changed the fluids in both the front and the rear differentials this weekend, along with fluids in transmission and transfer case.
If you haven't done it in the past 40 or 50 thousand (or less for trans & transfer case), you should give it a try; you'll notice the difference.
Used fluids called for in owner's manual: 80w90 in differentials, with 4oz of friction modifier in rear diff. Mercon ATF in transmission and transfer case.
Had done fluid change in transmission previously many thousands of miles ago, and could immediately appreciate the difference at that time. Well, doing it now at 76,000 miles also produced improved shifting,etc., so was well worth the expense and effort.
Changine fluids in differentials was a different experience. Since draining front diff requires dropping a bunch of stuff under the front end, I opted to try my luck at suctioning the old fluid out, realizing that this procedure may not remove any small "particles" laying in bottom of case, but new fluid had to be better than what was in there. Did same with rear diff just because I didn't want to remove/replace cover. Rear diff fluids were replaced early in truck's life when some warranty work was performed on rear end, so this was second change for it as well at the transmission.
Have ya ever tried suctioning 80w90 thru a tube about 3/16 i.d.? (That's about as large a tube as I could use and still reach entirely to bottom of diff case thru the fill hole) It was a challenge, but we got it done, so truck is now doing it's happy dance again.
A search will give advise for changing your trans fluid, and if you have the M5OD, I highly recommend it. FWIW. (Oh, by the way, I would NOT advise my less-than-intelligent way that I changed the fluids in the diffs. Will never do that agian.)
Thanks.
I would flush the power steering fluid too......it it is original I bet it comes out looking like chocolate milk

Old 11-08-2011, 11:27 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The deal with the 75w140 is that I went to my local Ford dealer to get some diff fluid and he said he only carried the big 55 gallon tanks of 80w90 but that I could get some 75w140 by the quart, (for an arm) or I could get the Service department to change the fluid at 150,000 for an arm and a leg.