1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Fuel filter bracket bolt just keeps spinning

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:39 PM
BlackNGoldRules
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter bracket bolt just keeps spinning

I went to change my fuel filter today and I can't get the bolt to come out that holds the bracket against the frame rail. Never had this problem before but the bolt is getting old and rusty. It just keeps turning. I feel some resistance at one part of each revolution and then it loosens up. Just keeps doing that as I turn it. Any suggestions on how to get it out? I'll get another bolt once I get it out, but I have to get to that point first. Thanks.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Dutter
Elder User
oook yeah theses bolts are the WORSE. Basically what happened is the thread only got striped were they meet the nuts thread. So what id do is (if you can) get a grinder and cut the head off and then hammer out the rest of the bolt. Actually thats the only way i can think of right now onhow to get it out.. So idk if u can try that

OOHH or if u can, try to push the bolt with a bry bar wile you turn in loos to try to catch those threads again,

Old 10-25-2011, 02:16 AM
BlackNGoldRules
Senior User
Well, I managed to get it off. I basically just took the hoses off first, and then once the hoses were detached, I just broke the bracket and filter off of the bolt. After that, it was a matter of putting a socket wrench on the bolt itself, and another on the nut and just turning in different directions to try and loosen the nut. Sprayed a little liquid wrench on the nut and that eventually loosened it off. My new fuel filter is on with a brand new nut. Hopefully, I don't run into this problem the next time. Thanks for your help.