Sponsored by: DP Tuner

PLZ HELP!!! 02 7.3 lost power, now wont start, and im stumpped

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 02:29 PM
2002f250xlt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy PLZ HELP!!! 02 7.3 lost power, now wont start, and im stumpped

2002 f250 7.3 I was driving down the road at about 50mph and all of a sudden the truck started to loss power and then came to a stop. My fuel was low so i got a 5 gallon fuel can and dump it all in the tank and it still wont start. I took the fuel filter out and poured fuel in the bowl, put the fuel filter back in and cranked it and it tried to hit a couple of times but then nothing. I took the fuel line off of the lift pump the goes to the engine and turned on the ignition and nothing pumped out but the pump its self come on and i felt it run but nothing pumped out. So i replaced the pump and still nothing pump out with the new one so i blew in the fuel line that comes from the tank to the pump and i heard bubbles in the tank but i couldn't get anything to come out the line. So i dropped the tank and pulled out the pick up in the tank and looked at the pick up assembly and the screen on the bottom looks fine. So now i'm completely lost and in desperate need of help!!! Plz help me on what is could be, Thanks in advance!

Old 10-24-2011, 02:47 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

My guess is you didn't have enough fuel in the tank to prime the pump. If you were on any kind of incline, the pick-up tube may not have been in fuel.

EDIT: Never let the tank get under 1/4 tank.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:55 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
where you located

Old 10-24-2011, 03:03 PM
lhud
Elder User
I would unplug the ICP (Injector Control Pressure) sensor which is located on the front of the head on the driver's side. This will force the PCM to default to a stored setting and allow you to crank and continue on. I had this problem while starting a trip and unplugged the sensor and finished my trip and then replaced the sensor.
If there is oil around the sensor, it is likely at fault.
Codes would be helpful.
Also make sure there is adequate oil levels in the HPOP reservoir and the engine sump.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:08 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lhud
I would unplug the ICP (Injector Control Pressure) sensor which is located on the front of the head on the driver's side. This will force the PCM to default to a stored setting and allow you to crank and continue on. I had this problem while starting a trip and unplugged the sensor and finished my trip and then replaced the sensor.
If there is oil around the sensor, it is likely at fault.
Codes would be helpful.
Also make sure there is adequate oil levels in the HPOP reservoir and the engine sump.
He said the fuel pump was running but not pumping fuel to the bowl. I still think he needs to put more fuel in the tank.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:11 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by miller_feed
He said the fuel pump was running but not pumping fuel to the bowl. I still think he needs to put more fuel in the tank.
Yup, or get a can of fuel and stick the feed tube to pump, into it.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 PM
izzybird
Elder User

If you still have the tank dropped, you should really do the fuel tank modifications. I found a neighbor on the side of the road bout a month ago with your exact symptoms, not a drop coming out of the fuel pump. I hit the line going back to the tank with some air and he's still driving it, though I told him it wasn't a pemanent fix. Or you could just be too low on fuel as stated above. You need to do the tank mods regardless.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 PM
izzybird
Elder User

Here's a link to the tank mods, give you an idea what I'm talking about. I buy the kits from Strictly Diesel, or you can build your own.
Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

Old 10-24-2011, 10:46 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm also betting the Hutch mod fixes the problem. Ford did away with that goofy white "mixing chamber" in the newer trucks.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:56 PM
2002f250xlt
New User
Im located in Harvest, Alabama...NE of Huntsville. Thanks to all for your help!! I finally fixed my problem and kinda feel a little dumb. Basically what happened was i ran out of fuel (even tho my fuel handle didnt tell me that) and my lift pump was sucking air not fuel. I added 5 gallons of fuel to my tank and put the tank back up under the truck after cleaning the pick up and put it all back together. So a long story of trial and error, i simply took the pump out and pour fuel in it and sucked fuel through the line from the tank and hooked it back up and manually primed the pump. once the pump was primmed i hooked the line from the pump to the engine back up and she fired right up!!! So 2 days of getting frustrated and dropping my tank and blowing out the lines to find out i just simply ran out of fuel and my fuel pump lost its prime. Eventho, i thought the electric fuel pump would prime its self back after running out of fuel, well it didnt and i had to do it myself. Thanks again for all the help guys, i sure do like this forum and how ppl help eachother.

and one more question i read the mod for in the tank that izzybird reccomended, and im dont understand what is the advantage of doing that. Im not trying to sound dumb i just dont know what it does..thanks

Old 10-25-2011, 01:09 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you got it fixed.

The intank mods that Izzy posted are an advantage by eliminating the mixing chamber screens which are known to easily become clogged and cause performance issues. Another advantage is moving the return away from the pickup to eliminate air getting into the fuel, which is good for your injectors. The large prepump and filter base is not largely necessary, you could install a small inline filter in the fuel line this is to keep the pump screen from getting clogged since you would no longer have the screens in the tank. Alot easier to change and see a $5 filter on the frame rail than dropping the tank to replace the screens in the tank.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:10 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out Robin's post for pics of the inline filter

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10935199

Old 10-25-2011, 01:13 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2002f250xlt
and one more question i read the mod for in the tank that izzybird reccomended, and im dont understand what is the advantage of doing that. Im not trying to sound dumb i just dont know what it does..thanks
The mixing chamber has a number of problems that will be fixed. The screens tend to plug up and if they do, you will be on the side of the road...stopped. In addition the fuel return line empties right next to the fuel pickup. Air bubbles will be fed directly into the pickup...so move the return line to the other side of the fuel tank away from the intake.

EDIT: You fast typist you, AL .

Old 10-25-2011, 01:18 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 2002f250xlt

1) The quick connect fuel line connectors that can suck air are eliminated.

2) The mixing chamber is eliminated and replaced with external in-line filter so no more clogged mixing chamber filter screens.

3) Harpooning allows much easier fill of tank.

Edit: I'm slower than both of you by a long shot.