Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

First Timer

Old 10-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Vegas123
Senior User
Vegas123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
First Timer

Hi Everyone,

New to the site. Full of great information. I am looking to buy an F1, 1950 truck. Been looking for a while. Read over the article posted on this site as to what to look for when buying one.

Wondering what you think of this F1??

Over priced?

What would be a fair price to offer based on what you see?

Thanks

How about the pile of metal?

1951 Ford F-1 Truck

Old 10-22-2011, 06:02 PM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Vegas - Welcome Aboard!
We own a 1950 F1 we bought about a 1.5 years ago & we paid $6,500.
It was running but barely stopping & steering. If your prospective truck has no rust in the cab corners or floor it might be ok at that price. If it's a rust bucket - I think you can get those for less. Pics of our 1950 F1 when we started & a sneak peak as it sits today (after a lot of work/money). (The 48-52 truck cabs are smaller than 53 & up - barely fits 3 people just an FYI).

Ben in Austin

Attached Images   
Old 10-22-2011, 06:31 PM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
Hello Vegas

To answer your question on the value of the trucks, you need to know a couple of things:

Are all the parts still attached? If conversion have been made, take a serious look at the workmanship - every error by a PO (previous owner) becomes your problem.
Any idea of the miles and the life either of these beauties have led that would suggest the type of care they received?
Has there been any engine work done beyond the regular maintenance? What do the frames and undercarriages look like?
Do the grease fitting show signs of use? On a truck this old, you should see evidence of fills and overfills - this is generally good.
Check the steering, brakes, clutch, and electrical (turn signals, brake lights, and gauges. I realize the southwest and west can have ideal conditions for long life - but stuff get abused / neglected.
Understand if the fuel line and gas tank have been replaced.
Look at the fuel bowl - is there sediment present? If so, this could suggest an issue with rust in the tank or lines.
How is the radiator? Does it over heat?
What is leaking - from where?
How does the oil look? Any evidence of froth from the coolant - this would perhaps suggest a head gasket issue.
How is the glass? Do the windows and doors work?
Does it sit level? Bounce on the bumper - does it react?
How are the tires and battery?
Any evidence of habitation by furry friends in the cab
Is there a title?

After all this, if the blue '51 passes muster from your review you have a pretty good truck. While 7K isn't unreasonable, you would be in bounds to offer $5500.

The black '51 looks like more of a project - that one might be worth $3500.

Both of those are a little ways from home - you'll want to trailer them and not expect them take a trip right out of the driveway.

Happy motoring!

DW

Old 10-22-2011, 07:24 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.
hit it with a hose ..an see where the water come's in ,,no fun with the rain running down your neck ..or up your leg..poke at it ..are you gonna drive it or rebuild it ??

Old 10-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Doc
Postmaster
Doc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Vegas123 View Post
Hi Everyone,

New to the site. Full of great information. I am looking to buy an F1, 1950 truck. Been looking for a while. Read over the article posted on this site as to what to look for when buying one.

Wondering what you think of this F1??

Over priced?

What would be a fair price to offer based on what you see?

1951 Ford truck F1 All original

Thanks

How about the pile of metal?

1951 Ford F-1 Truck

Welcome. They're asking a steep east coast price for a west coast truck. Plus the first truck listed is not a "1951". It's at best an early 1950 or earlier with the floor shifter.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Moe Craig
Postmaster
Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.
Hi and welcome to FTE! This is a great place and great people on here. To the trucks you put a link to... the first one isn't a '51, but more a '48-50, I'm going to guess a '50... small rear window, monkey face... Looks really nice, contact them and ask for more pics and the serial number to confirm the year. Also ask if the tool tray is behind the seat... the air cleaner isn't orig so that is a chance to lower the price... I bought one last rear for $5k that I needed to rebuild the top end (SBC new cam, lifters, and rebuilt heads), auto trans, 9" rear end and disk brakes... primer paint... had no speaker cover, mine also has aftermarket gauges and a Ron Frances Wiring harness/fuse block...

Go look and offer $5k and see what they say.. I should have offered $4k

Old 10-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Vegas123
Senior User
Thanks

Thanks for all the info.

Basically, the black one does not start, has been sitting in the front of this huys house for 6 months w/out starting. Interior, what interior (shot), lots of rust and comes with a toilet thats been thrown in the back. For sure not drivable without going through several things like the breaks and just trying to get it started.

The blue one runs, does have some small cancer spots at the fender, floor boards have pin holes, has a metal tray in the bed. But looks like I could cruise it on the weekend to OSH/home depot or work.

I am basicall looking for something that does not need tons of work, a machine I can cruise and just enjoy around town. I know of another one for 13500. thats a very nice but 13500 is more money but ready to ride.

Hmmm 3 hour drive to go see the blue one, the black on was 10minutes away. (will stay away from)

Old 10-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Moe Craig
Postmaster
Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.
Like I said "call and asked the guy with the blue one for more pics"... and use the black one for for leverage, missed labeled the year, and the wrong air cleaner.

Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Welcome. They're asking a steep east coast price for a west coast truck. Plus the first truck listed is not a "1951". It's at best an early 1950 or earlier with the floor shifter.
Doc, Didn't your mean a column shift? I didn't see a floor shifter in the pics. but a column. I forgot to say that in my earlier post why I thought it was a '50.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:02 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
I only see a link for the 51. Are you in San Jose as well? PM or email me and I can explain and show you what to look for when buying a truck. I can also help you look at one if it's local.

I have a 48 F1 for sale, but it's a project.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:17 AM
Doc
Postmaster
Doc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Moe Craig View Post
Like I said "call and asked the guy with the blue one for more pics"... and use the black one for for leverage, missed labeled the year, and the wrong air cleaner.

Doc, Didn't your mean a column shift? I didn't see a floor shifter in the pics. but a column. I forgot to say that in my earlier post why I thought it was a '50.
You're right. That shadow fooled me on the seat. It is a column shift. Which would make it a late 50.

Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
I only see a link for the 51. Are you in San Jose as well? PM or email me and I can explain and show you what to look for when buying a truck. I can also help you look at one if it's local.

I have a 48 F1 for sale, but it's a project.
Ilya, that link to the blue truck disappeared last night. But its back now. Not sure what hapened.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Vegas123
Senior User
Thanks

I have seen pics of the inside of the cab. Looks good, just no interior liners near your feet and around the back of the window nor headliner.

Does has some small cancer spots near the fender 1 that I could see. He did have the carb rebuilt and the breaks have been gone thru. The cab has a metal liner in it. I am sure it can be removed, wood must be shot.

I still have time to go up and see it but I not sure if it is worth it. I am really looking for an old reliable Betsy for now. Now much time for repairs since I have a 4 year old daughter (which I love to death) and a wife (EEEh). Full time job and some labs.

It runs, I saw a video of it. I would have posted it but not sure how to do it.

Its around 6 am, headed to the gym, if someone wants to give me a call with some kick in the you know what I may still go up and see it. 3hours but what the hell you only live once. 408-320-5649.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:34 AM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Vegas123 View Post
The cab has a metal liner in it. I am sure it can be removed, wood must be shot.
I'm assuming that you meant that the bed has a metal liner. Now, if I recall correctly, the 48-50s had metal liners over wood planks. The liner went away with a redesign.

DW

Old 10-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Rojak is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rojak is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Welcome Vegas and good luck with your search!

Rob

Old 10-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Vegas123
Senior User
Thanks

Went up to Oroville and saw the truck. Nice, ran but to much rust! It would take me a life time to finish it.

I now realize that I am better off buying something completed or near completion since I lack many skills to finish it on my own.

I have my eye on one in the area.

Keep you guys posted.