1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion
Old 11-25-2014, 02:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD Guides
Print Wikipost

4wd not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The install is a very easy job. You should do it yourself. It will only require a few hand tools, a couple of hours on your back and a hydraulic jack.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:12 PM
josh1095
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got the diff. looks a perfect match just 373 gears. going to flush the fluid and put new in with the friction additive. will be installing with my dad tomorrow morning. im not carrying this 300lb piece of metal in my truck for another 4 days... and this will make me feel better after spending 500 on the tcase. so ill be 650 total into the project, only paid 2k for the truck and everything should work perfect. it actually looks like a simple install, the haynes manual doesnt cover it but i think its stright forward enough. ive done alot tougher jobs.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by josh1095
got the diff. looks a perfect match just 373 gears. going to flush the fluid and put new in with the friction additive. will be installing with my dad tomorrow morning. im not carrying this 300lb piece of metal in my truck for another 4 days... and this will make me feel better after spending 500 on the tcase. so ill be 650 total into the project, only paid 2k for the truck and everything should work perfect. it actually looks like a simple install, the haynes manual doesnt cover it but i think its stright forward enough. ive done alot tougher jobs.
If you kept your old t/case you might be able to sell it in the classified section, or just keep it for a spare until spring, at least.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Arnak
New User
four wheel drive not working

i have a 1998 expedition and the four wheel is not working at all i have no light that come on and i cant hear the normal clicking noise under the dash when i switch it from 2wd to awd or 4hi or 4lo i hae checked the fuses and none are blown im lost any suggestion would be helpful

Old 12-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Have you checked the relay under the hood?

Old 03-13-2017, 01:45 PM
Steve Langford
Freshman User
Hello all...
I just joined this forum and find it very informative...
I bought a 99 Expy 4WD as a basket case for 600 bucks...
I have it running and driving but only on 4 or 5 cylinders...
I have a used set of COP coils from my 2000 F-150 and have ordered a rebuilt set of injectors...Will see if that fixes the engine problems...
I am posting here because the 4WD solenoids, the wiring pigtail, vacuum lines, and vacuum servo on the front diff. are missing...
I would like to start with the wiring for the 2 in out solenoids...
Evidently they were cut out of the harness!
Can someone please tell me what part of the harness they should come out of?
There is one harness behind the plastic cover that crosses over in front of the cowl and 3 junction blocks near the battery...
Which one of these harnesses should I find the ends of the wires for the 4WD solenoids without stripping off the wrap on all?
I believe there should be a white/lt. blue hot in run from junction box fuse 23, a red and a gray/black from the GEM...
I have only found one other pigtail from the drivers side with a connector that has a green/orange wire and a black wire...
Thanks in advance, Steve

Old 03-13-2017, 07:47 PM
Steve Langford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Steve Langford
Hello all...
I have it running and driving but only on 4 or 5 cylinders...
I have a used set of COP coils from my 2000 F-150 and have ordered a rebuilt set of injectors...Will see if that fixes the engine problems...
I am posting here because the 4WD solenoids, the wiring pigtail, vacuum lines, and vacuum servo on the front diff. are missing...
I would like to start with the wiring for the 2 in out solenoids...
Evidently they were cut out of the harness!
Can someone please tell me what part of the harness they should come out of?
There is one harness behind the plastic cover that crosses over in front of the cowl and 3 junction blocks near the battery...
Which one of these harnesses should I find the ends of the wires for the 4WD solenoids without stripping off the wrap on all?
I believe there should be a white/lt. blue hot in run from junction box fuse 23, a red and a gray/black from the GEM...
I have only found one other pigtail from the drivers side with a connector that has a green/orange wire and a black wire...
Thanks in advance, Steve
OK that green/orange and black pigtail goes to the hood light...One down...

Old 03-14-2017, 08:37 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Hello all...
You should start your own thread with all of these concerns to avoid messing up this thread about a 4WD issue. Click the blue "New Thread" button at the top left of the list of topics back on the main page for this forum...or click here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/n...newthread&f=27

Old 03-14-2017, 11:31 PM
Steve Langford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by alloro
You should start your own thread with all of these concerns to avoid messing up this thread about a 4WD issue. Click the blue "New Thread" button at the top left of the list of topics back on the main page for this forum...or click here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/n...newthread&f=27
I assumed that sense this was a 4WD problem thread and there were several others with 4WD problems posting here that I could post mine here also...I only asked one question about the 4WD wiring Alloro...
Thanks for your help...
Steve

Old 03-15-2017, 12:03 AM
Steve Langford
Freshman User
I assumed that sense this was a 4WD problem thread and there were several others with 4WD problems posting here that I could post mine here also...I only asked one question about the 4WD wiring Alloro...
Thanks for your help...
Steve
OK I have started my own thread...
It takes a while for me to figure all this out...
I'm the new guy...

Old 03-15-2017, 10:16 AM
alloro
I assumed that sense this was a 4WD problem thread and there were several others with 4WD problems posting here that I could post mine here also...I only asked one question about the 4WD wiring
Wasn't trying to push you aside. Once you mentioned the misfires and COPs, someone might seize on that and run this thread off in that direction. I saw your new thread and trust me, you'll be better off and get more direct answer there than you would in this thread.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:31 PM
rhensonsr
Trailering
Josh, how did this turn out?

Old 08-17-2017, 12:55 PM
Steve Langford
Freshman User
Expy is running fine now except for the blinking light in AWD...
Sometimes it's hard to get it out of 4 wheel low or high without backing up a few times...

Old 08-17-2017, 05:42 PM
alloro
Sometimes it's hard to get it out of 4 wheel low or high without backing up a few times...
That's usually the result of mis-matched tires front to back.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:33 AM
Steve Langford
Freshman User
We had a bad rain last Sunday and I drove it down the back roads not thinking I made a u turn going off in the side of the road and burried it up to the running boards...DOOH! I just knew I would be walking back to the house...
I tried it in AWD and it kept sliding deeper into the ditch...
Switched it into 4 low and by going foreward and backward I finally got it out up on the pavement...
Was very suprised with it with the highway tires...What a mess!
As I said The 4x4 light blinks in AWD so going to the local U-pullit yard and pull the SW 5644 and 45 speed sensors from one of the transfer cases and see if that fixes it...
Yes, The tires are 3 mis matched brands so I'll just leave it out of 4wd until I can buy new tires...Over all It has been a long process getting it back on the road but only problem I had was a few engine managenent sensors and rain water getting in the spark plug sockets and shorting out the plug...
I bought new spark plug boots and a tube of Dielectric grease and haven't had anymore problems of fouling plugs...
When I first crank it in the morning when it is cold it wants to surge a little leaving out down the road....It quits a short time later...
Getting a bearing whine on one of the front hubs while driving 60 to 70 MPH but I can live with that for a while...
AC is super cold now and gas milages is fairly good for an AWD truck...