Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

E40D: Code 62

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 05:08 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
ah crap.not what i wanted to hear.
don't even tell me it could be my racer x converter failing! id throw a fit.

ok well another snow storm coming,so i guess tomorrow i'll just toss her back together so i can plow.don't need od for that.she'll still move some snow.

well,let me ask you this then;
ford reman e40d. just looked up all them upgrades they do to them all now to meet '95+ specs in the other atsg pdf.-i forgot how many things were updated.decent enough right?
or
ford reman 4r100 with my solenoid pack? (seems like there's more to it for this one though iirc.need to search again.) but even if it's basic bolt in like i seem to recall it is,my core my not be suitable making it not worth the extra expense anyway.

keeping my racer x converter either way.

i don't want to mess with it if it could be anything and everything.im not that ambitious.rebuilding the first couple assemblies wouldn't be too bad,but im not stripping the whole works ugg.i did a complete c6 years ago.there's a lot to these auto's.
what a bugger.i kept such good care of this trans too.sucks.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Onus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
ah crap.not what i wanted to hear.
don't even tell me it could be my racer x converter failing! id throw a fit.

ok well another snow storm coming,so i guess tomorrow i'll just toss her back together so i can plow.don't need od for that.she'll still move some snow.

well,let me ask you this then;
ford reman e40d. just looked up all them upgrades they do to them all now to meet '95+ specs in the other atsg pdf.-i forgot how many things were updated.decent enough right?
or
ford reman 4r100 with my solenoid pack? (seems like there's more to it for this one though iirc.need to search again.) but even if it's basic bolt in like i seem to recall it is,my core my not be suitable making it not worth the extra expense anyway.

keeping my racer x converter either way.

i don't want to mess with it if it could be anything and everything.im not that ambitious.rebuilding the first couple assemblies wouldn't be too bad,but im not stripping the whole works ugg.i did a complete c6 years ago.there's a lot to these auto's.
what a bugger.i kept such good care of this trans too.sucks.
The front pump also on the 4r100 is pwm iirc.

I would just get the 6 gear steel planet, and find the 6 gear rear planet that will fit into the cast iron drum.

I think everything else after that is just clutch pack material upgrades and torque convert ( which you already have ).

If you really want to use a 4r100 just use a different aftermarket trans controller.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:28 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Correct on the front pump. That can be changed to an early on/off valve.

For E4 upgrades 6 planet forward. 6 planet L/Reverse. This will require a 4R L/reverse drum. 6 planet for a cast drum is very hard to get. Stabilize the center support. New bearings, thrust washers, and bushings. Of course we cant forget. Frictions, steels and seals.

I would contact racerx seeing how you have his converter.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Onus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The one for the cast drum is 12 lug right?

I see a few on ebay. I know they are a bit harder to find but a little searching i think one can be found.

I hear the cast drum is stronger.

I've been doing research myself. I was thinking of rebuilding my e4od myself after i get another vehicle to do daily driving with.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:17 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
Cast is 12 lug. Yes cast is stronger.

So far the evilbay parts are showing up as used. But with some deep searching they can be found.
Its easier to go with a stamped drum with a steel carrier gear set. I prefer cast myself.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:01 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Exclamation code 62,you win this time but, watch out cus iv got your number.

well after weighing my options i decided on a reman at a local shop.
claims to have done many of these trans over the years,and knows them very well.
she's getting the complete rebuild with not just the '95 updates but updated further for a complete best of both e40d/4r100 hybrid HD build.complete with another extra low stall (specially requested again-for you heavy hauler/towers ask for that if you ever upgrade-it's heaven.basically what it does is keeps her crisp and instant right off idle even when maxed gross combined with no "flash" "mush" feel.) triple disc converter,transgo shift kit,new large aux cooler,with installation & a yr unlimited nationwide.
she should be as worry and trouble free as the idi then.perhaps besides the electrical nags lol.those i don't mind so much.it's this metal packed filter business i can't be having.
she'll be in the shop for about a week after i limp her through one more upcoming snow storm plowing.last time on the 20 yr old non revised e40d.

who wants to place bets,she not only plows,but i drive her to the local shop after, under her own power?
im betting she makes it.i'll will be pulling the filter apart and flushing out most of the metal to give her a fighting chance.

maybe that intercooler was the final straw that broke the camels back.i did feel some more gain in the seat of the pants without even touching the fuel screw.im betting more on age,un revised version and working her hard more than that though,but it likely didn't help the situation anyway.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:40 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so you are replacing your racer x converter?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:57 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
I was always told not to re-use the converter if the trans goes bad, also that it would be prudent to replace the radiator (with internal cooler).

I think its safe to assume that you know WAY more than me when it comes to slushboxes though.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:59 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
Never instal a converter from a bad tranny with out having it cleaned.
To clean it, the converter must be cut open.

You can flush out the cooler in the radiator. They have solvent bombs for that.

I would send the converter back to racerX. Have him rebuild it.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:53 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by '94IDITurbo7.3
so you are replacing your racer x converter?
yes.for his warranty on the build he needs to install the billet triple disc of his preference that he always installs.he doesn't have the tools to cut her open/flush/inspect/rebalance-weld back together there either.
he didn't like the idea of having me send it in for cleaning.cuts into his profit of course im sure if he can't sell a converter as a package.plus ya can't blame him for not wanting to install something he can't back up.it's his local rep on the line and his $ if he has to fix issues under warranty.

edit;
so learn from this.go full built or just a shift kit and call it good.you'll save time and $.the original e40d's just can't take it obviously.hate to face it,but no choice now lol.
if you feel like having her cut/flushed/reballanced and want to gamble thats probably all she needs,pm a price i can't turn down.
no shutter.locking up fine.trans running great minus OD.rcacer feels it's probably ok still.iv been on the phone with him a lot lately too.was contemplating a trans from him,but the local all installed for me for around same price range.....oh man i couldn't turn that down this time of year lol.im about to send some more metal sparkles though her though.might want to wait until this storm passes to see if i think it's behaving the same after.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:03 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by trackspeeder
Never instal a converter from a bad tranny with out having it cleaned.
To clean it, the converter must be cut open.

You can flush out the cooler in the radiator. They have solvent bombs for that.

I would send the converter back to racerX. Have him rebuild it.
yeah this guy wants no part of the coolers that im running.wish i left my aux filter on there and my pan and coolers would be clean,ah well.i didn't have the room for it with the intercooler so i was gunna put it back in when it warmed up.

i don't like the idea of running an air cooler only,not even a little.i tried explaining to him that if your not going down the road she's going to warm up,but he assures me the cooler going on will be large enough.not convinced,i think the larger the aux air cooler,just buys you some time plowing/twitching logs etc until she reaches 200 pan temps,and id be stuck shutting her down or having to take off down the road to cool her and then go back to work for a while again and repeat continually as required.not going to do it.i can foresee the hassle with it already.must have a water cooler as her base cooler.

so if i need to i can always replace the rad again.will suck but what ya gunna do.expensive trans to risk,so i can't blame him for wanting no part of the stock cooler now either.the stock rad cooler is just a tube in there and can be flushed properly racer x was telling me too.
with a trans this pricey,i might just toss the rad and replace it so i know for 100% and he does too via proof of receipt (as long as he ok's the idea) to let me plumb it back in asap and keep her warranty.that will probably be the only way to keep us both happy.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:44 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
You can have the tranny cooler cleaned out at a good radiator shop.

If you work your truck hard keep this cooler in the circuit. Otherwise he will be seeing warranty work. Constant slow speed and reverse with a snowplow can cook a tranny quickly.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:53 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
easy way to fix it zf5 swap not more codes to scan

Old 03-05-2013, 04:32 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
fix her right up with a boot and a hand shake hey Joe.