Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fixing door rust!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 07:32 AM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would you use old diesel oil or songwriting else?

Old 03-03-2017, 08:17 AM
VTENX
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blakshukvw
Mine are rusty too. Stopped by the body shop yesterday in fact to ask about repair. I guess they're not interested in doing real repair work cuz he told me they wouldn't be able to fix mine just look for new or good used doors but I know this is a problem on all super duty and excursions plus the X rear doors are different from the trucks. I asked if he could reskin the door and build new structure on the frame of the inside to have material too bond the outer skin to and he said they don't do that. Guess I'll have to find a custom shop.
Same here. I have a buddy that owns a body shop and he said there wasn't much you could do about it.

So I've just been letting it go.

What do you guys mean when you say it "pops?"

Old 03-03-2017, 08:18 AM
Twonky
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the pics 1 Excursion camper! Looks great, can you walk us through what you did? Looks like it was cleaned with a wheel and then painted and coated with a rubberized coating? Do you remember what products you used?
Would it make sense to keep the weather stripping off after repair to keep moisture off area?

Old 03-03-2017, 08:26 AM
Twonky
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Good idea to pour a bit of oil down inside the doors to keep them from rusting/kill the rust thats there.

I will probably open up my doors again this summer and oil everything.
Can you walk me through how you did that? Do you use waste motor or used ATF and PSF?

I've had my EX for 2 years now and it was is great shape when I got it and I'd like to keep it for years to come.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:50 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used a fiber wheel to remove all the rust on the outside lower edge of the door. Then I put a thick layer of POR15 down inside the bottom of the door and let it soak into any rust and crevices. I then brushed the lower out side lip where the rust was removed with POR15. After it cured I masked off the lower portion where the small weather strip (more like a guard to keep crud from inside the door jamb) runs and used some commercial grade undercoating. So all you see is a small bit of black undercoating at the lower lip. You can see that in the last 2 pictures.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:55 AM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Mine is pretty bad on a couple doors and if I wheeled it in sure I'd lose a substantial layer of metal. I think mine it's so bad in a couple areas that the door skin where it's wrapped under and over the inside of the door frame structure, it's basically just rust.
I know there are body shops that if need be can remove all the rust and fab new metal and weld it to the door structure then possibly replace the whole or lower part of the skin. That's real fabrication and some shops don't want to"waste"their time doing fab work. It can be done. It's not cheap but if finding rusty free doors is not an option what else do you do.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:45 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Thankfully, my doors are still good. I pulled all the door panels last winter and sprayed Fluid Film inside all. Hoping to avoid future issues...

There's a guy local to me with 3 Excursions. We know each other from a local body shop. I don;t know where he gets them...but he buys new doors to fix the rust issues...

Old 03-04-2017, 07:23 AM
Twonky
Mountain Pass
If you call around you can find dealers and ford suppliers selling parts very cheap that they want off their shelves.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:37 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Would you use old diesel oil or songwriting else?
Originally Posted by Twonky
Can you walk me through how you did that? Do you use waste motor or used ATF and PSF?

I've had my EX for 2 years now and it was is great shape when I got it and I'd like to keep it for years to come.

I use diesel waste oil as I have allot on hand and it is thicker.

I pull the door panel off and either use a brush and brush it around the inside of the lower door. Or if have it out and ready to go I will spray it in with my cheap Fleet Farm paint sprayer.

I have heard some use a pump up lawn/chemical sprayer. I haven't but I would like to give one a try sometime as they usually have that nice long wand sprayer that a guy could stick in places. I think it would work good for rockers and other closed in areas.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Resto Guy
Mountain Pass
Mine is pretty bad on a couple doors and if I wheeled it in sure I'd lose a substantial layer of metal. I think mine it's so bad in a couple areas that the door skin where it's wrapped under and over the inside of the door frame structure, it's basically just rust.
I know there are body shops that if need be can remove all the rust and fab new metal and weld it to the door structure then possibly replace the whole or lower part of the skin. That's real fabrication and some shops don't want to"waste"their time doing fab work. It can be done. It's not cheap but if finding rusty free doors is not an option what else do you do.
I have a restoration business and we fabricate repair sections often. Regular body shops don't do this stuff because they don't have people who know how. Making parts and taking new parts out of boxes are worlds apart.
I've spent a lifetime in both environments, and that's why so many of you have a hard time finding a shop to get rid of your rust. That's also why there is a growing market for gimmicks like brush on rust stoppers.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
I agree with you.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:09 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Resto Guy
I have a restoration business and we fabricate repair sections often. Regular body shops don't do this stuff because they don't have people who know how. Making parts and taking new parts out of boxes are worlds apart.
I've spent a lifetime in both environments, and that's why so many of you have a hard time finding a shop to get rid of your rust. That's also why there is a growing market for gimmicks like brush on rust stoppers.
I agree 100%. Our body shop does do rust repair. We just tell the customer there is no guarantee and they understand. But they never come back for a repair for rust we've done. We also do it as a fill in job. Meaning we tell them for less $$$ an hour we will take our time doing it and put other jobs in front of it. This gives us something to do in between jobs and gets the customer a quality repair at a cheaper price. And we have a couple guys here that are very good at metal fabrication.