Sponsored by:

fixing door rust!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:02 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
fixing door rust!

Hello! well tomorrow I will be repairing the rust at the bottom edges of my doors. I work at a body shop and we`ve done 2 X`s in the last 2 weeks! one was an 02 and was really bad. the owner wanted 4 new doors and rust repaired at the R/R lower C-pillar. the one today was an 04or 05? and just started to pop. after the first I looked at my doors and my L/R is the worst with just starting to flake paint. the others are just starting to pop. I`ll take some pics of what I`m doing which will be the same we did at the shop. In the years I`ve been on this site I`ve never seen mention of this! I know it`s more common in the midwest and east so I`m sure there are more than just a few! in ase you don`t know what i`m talking about.....look under the rubber weather strip (flap) on the lower part of the doors. the rust starts at the seem where the door frame and skin attach!

I`ll keep you updated!

Old 09-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our friends with an '02 7.3 were in an accident in August that took out both right doors and the rear quarter, which they replaced (and with rust free doors too). With 188k, the body shop agreed to fix the rust issues on the driver's side doors too. It wasn't too bad yet, but it was certainly better to have them taken care of now.

I looked at another '02 7.3 in July that had rust issues on all doors, but it was horrible on the passenger side. The paint was bubbling up for probably a 3"x6" area on the big flat area of the front door and moisture allowed for rusty water to drip down onto the running board, making it all rusty looking in the front part. It wasn't rusted through yet, but it certainly needed work.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:28 AM
hhcobra
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the information camper, looking forward to seeing the pictures!! Subscribing!!!

Old 10-01-2011, 08:12 AM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
I wish I knew of someone who worked at a body shop to help with the rust on my X's doors. I had to have one rear door replaced last spring from an accident, but the two front doors are showing the affects of living in the salt-belt

Old 10-01-2011, 08:37 AM
tfs2403
Junior User
Well, I was going to tackle this today with POR 15 and top coat it with the best matching paint I could find. I have rust popping at the lower door seams. Paint isn't flaking yet but not too far off. I also have rust starting on the plugged holes in the rockers. I wanna stop this four letter word (rust) and do it right so.... I shall procrastinate in order to see the way you do it and see if I want to change my mind on the POR 15.
subcribing......

THanks
Robb

Old 10-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
First page here toward the bottom I fixed my front doors. I didn't go for perfect pretty because it is on the inside.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...e-x-today.html

Old 10-01-2011, 03:03 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
First page here toward the bottom I fixed my front doors. I didn't go for perfect pretty because it is on the inside.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...e-x-today.html

I'm not sold on the POR-15. I did the whole process to my hitch earlier this summer and already have rust showing through I was going to do the bottoms of the front doors this fall, but not sure it is worth the effort. And, yes, I followed all the instructions and used the included products. Seeing the rust coming thru already makes me feel I wasted that whole day!

Old 10-01-2011, 07:44 PM
fatherdano
Senior User
i live in ohio should i expect rust?

silly me.

pump all this money into something that ineveitably is going to rust.

maybe it will be like the old days were we let it go go till you can see pavement from inside.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:57 AM
EX40
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
Hello! well tomorrow I will be repairing the rust at the bottom edges of my doors. I work at a body shop and we`ve done 2 X`s in the last 2 weeks! one was an 02 and was really bad. the owner wanted 4 new doors and rust repaired at the R/R lower C-pillar. the one today was an 04or 05? and just started to pop. after the first I looked at my doors and my L/R is the worst with just starting to flake paint. the others are just starting to pop. I`ll take some pics of what I`m doing which will be the same we did at the shop. In the years I`ve been on this site I`ve never seen mention of this! I know it`s more common in the midwest and east so I`m sure there are more than just a few! in ase you don`t know what i`m talking about.....look under the rubber weather strip (flap) on the lower part of the doors. the rust starts at the seem where the door frame and skin attach!

I`ll keep you updated!
Did your shop replace the door on the 02? I may be interested in the pass front.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordboy67
I'm not sold on the POR-15. I did the whole process to my hitch earlier this summer and already have rust showing through I was going to do the bottoms of the front doors this fall, but not sure it is worth the effort. And, yes, I followed all the instructions and used the included products. Seeing the rust coming thru already makes me feel I wasted that whole day!

Its all about the second coat after a day or so of drying. The POR soaks into rust and makes small pinholes to release the air. After it hardens up in a day you smear on the second coat to fill the pinholes and all is good.

After the second coat on the bottom of the doors I covered the por with white paint to make it match again. This year I sprayed waste oil on the underside of the X and in the doors to kill any other rust. I hate rust!

Old 03-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Twonky
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have noticed rust starting under the weather stripping at the bottom of each door. It is on my to-do list for the summer.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:21 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Wow this one came back from the dead!

And I must've forgotten about this one too as I never updated it during or after the repair.

My door repair is still holding up great. I stopped daily driving it 2 years ago, up until then it was a daily driver. The doors never popped, and still look great!

Good luck on your door repair!

Old 03-02-2017, 07:29 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Here are some pics I took. One door was real bad, the rest were just popping but got the same treatment.

Name:  100_8135_zpsec1427d7.jpg
Views: 3681
Size:  22.5 KB

Name:  100_8136_zpsed48c0f8.jpg
Views: 3916
Size:  26.3 KB

Name:  100_8144_zps099b8855.jpg
Views: 4188
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  100_8155_zps07c6d591.jpg
Views: 3737
Size:  20.8 KB

Name:  image_zps85a77451.jpg
Views: 4203
Size:  34.1 KB

This was after a few years, even today it looks the same!

Name:  image_zps1e3a51b3.jpg
Views: 3691
Size:  47.5 KB

Old 03-02-2017, 08:59 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine are rusty too. Stopped by the body shop yesterday in fact to ask about repair. I guess they're not interested in doing real repair work cuz he told me they wouldn't be able to fix mine just look for new or good used doors but I know this is a problem on all super duty and excursions plus the X rear doors are different from the trucks. I asked if he could reskin the door and build new structure on the frame of the inside to have material too bond the outer skin to and he said they don't do that. Guess I'll have to find a custom shop.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:59 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Good idea to pour a bit of oil down inside the doors to keep them from rusting/kill the rust thats there.

I will probably open up my doors again this summer and oil everything.

Quick Reply: fixing door rust!