Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removable top bronco

Old 09-21-2011, 09:02 PM
msfprobass
Junior User
msfprobass is starting off with a positive reputation.
Removable top bronco

Hey all, kinda new here. I've been on this site several years now, but new to the bronco site. I've never had a big interest in the broncos, sorry guys, I just didn't get it, lol. But, now I'm finding big interests in them, guess I've matured, lol. Anyway, question is, did ford make the 93-96 bronco with a removable top? If so, guess I'm kinda in the bronco market. Lol

Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
AzPete has a good reputation on FTE.AzPete has a good reputation on FTE.
The rear over the back seat is removable.....

Not mine...just grabbed a search pic...

Old 09-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Edgethis
Postmaster
Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.
They just say not to remove the top in the 92-96 years because the seat belts were switched to shoulder from just lap belts. they bolt into the top. Also the high mount brake light is there. I have drive without the top on many times tho.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:48 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
EVERY Bronco EVER made had at least a portion of the top removable. From 1966-77 the entire roof/top came off. (There were actually TWO different tops during this time, the full top (Family Top as Ford called it) and the Half-Cab which fit over just the front seats leaving the back/bed to become a tiny open bed.

In 1978 when the Bronco became a full-size truck, the removable portion of the top was constructed of fibreglass. This left the steel portion of the roof over the front seats but the back seat and bed open to the air. This design remained the same through the end of production in 1996. So, if you own a Bronco, the top comes off, period.

In mid-1991, Federal law mandated the addition of the high-mount stop lamp. Ford added it to the top in 1992. Since the top now housed a required element, Ford took the liberty of adding shoulder harness seat belts for the rear seat passengers as well. With the combination of the shoulder belts AND the high-mount stop lamp, Ford removed the instructions for removing the top from the owner's manual AND changed the mounting hardware from standard HHCS (hex-head cap screws) to T-40 tamper-proof Torx fasteners. Result: Owners of 1992+ Broncos have never even been told that the top on their truck IS INDEED REMOVABLE!

Solution... (1992-96 owners)grab a T-40 tamper-proof Torx driver, a T-50 Torx driver (for the seat belt should anchors in the top), carefully pull the interior trim around the top off, disconnect the wiring harness at the driver's rear corner and start removing hardware until its ready to come off. Go to the FAQ's and read up on the details.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:19 PM
NewEnglander
Elder User
NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.
Ive left my top off for a week during the summer and never had any issues with having no 3rd brake light and seat belts...Honestly if I got pulled over for not having a 3rd brake light Id tell the cop to go catch some bad guys. I took it to the beach in NH fully loaded and did not have to worry about them not having seat belts. There is so seat belt law is NH. Id check your state laws for seat belts if your concerned about it.

You could also wire up a 3rd brake light if you want to, ive seen alot add one in the center of the spare tire.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:43 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
Never said there was a problem with it. I pointed out the FACTS about the Federal Laws that Ford was not going to deliberately tell their customers to BREAK by removing the top once the shoulder harness belts and the high-mount stop light were attached to the top. An end user might not catch hell for it but you can BET Ford would have if they gave instructions in the owners's manual for removing federally mandated equipment. Give the FAQ a read and you will see what one Missouri State Hwy. Patrol officer had to say about removing a Bronco top.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:11 AM
customtronic
New User
customtronic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by greystreak92 View Post
EVERY Bronco EVER made had at least a portion of the top removable. From 1966-77 the entire roof/top came off. (There were actually TWO different tops during this time, the full top (Family Top as Ford called it) and the Half-Cab which fit over just the front seats leaving the back/bed to become a tiny open bed.

In 1978 when the Bronco became a full-size truck, the removable portion of the top was constructed of fibreglass. This left the steel portion of the roof over the front seats but the back seat and bed open to the air. This design remained the same through the end of production in 1996. So, if you own a Bronco, the top comes off, period.

In mid-1991, Federal law mandated the addition of the high-mount stop lamp. Ford added it to the top in 1992. Since the top now housed a required element, Ford took the liberty of adding shoulder harness seat belts for the rear seat passengers as well. With the combination of the shoulder belts AND the high-mount stop lamp, Ford removed the instructions for removing the top from the owner's manual AND changed the mounting hardware from standard HHCS (hex-head cap screws) to T-40 tamper-proof Torx fasteners. Result: Owners of 1992+ Broncos have never even been told that the top on their truck IS INDEED REMOVABLE!

Solution... (1992-96 owners)grab a T-40 tamper-proof Torx driver, a T-50 Torx driver (for the seat belt should anchors in the top), carefully pull the interior trim around the top off, disconnect the wiring harness at the driver's rear corner and start removing hardware until its ready to come off. Go to the FAQ's and read up on the details.
Great info! Thanks

Old 10-28-2011, 02:51 PM
ford1977owner
Posting Guru
ford1977owner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ford1977owner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
regaurding the 3rd brake light, would a trailer hitch cover light be considered a 3rd brake light then with no top?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:27 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
AzPete has a good reputation on FTE.AzPete has a good reputation on FTE.
Third brake lights are designed to be at a certain level I believe. I have seen several mounted in the center of the spare tire. I really doubt any law enforcement would bother you without one.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:29 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
I've never worried about the stop lamp with the top removed. In most situations, you would have to be doing something far LESS legal than "driving around with the high-mount stop light missing" to get the attention and/or citation for the infraction. (Basically don't use your Bronco as a get-away-vehicle in a bank heist with the top off or you will get a ticket for removing the high-mount stop light... Can you see the sarcasm dripping from that one?)

Old 10-30-2011, 09:35 AM
huggyb1972
Senior User
huggyb1972 has a good reputation on FTE.huggyb1972 has a good reputation on FTE.
You can always replace the hard top with a convertible top like the Jeep Wrangler have.
I got a warning once for not having the opera lights on my mercury functioning from a ***** cop in Greenwood, In most officers won't care a long as your minding your P&Q's but there are exceptions to every rule.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:10 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
bigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud of
Just FYI, In Florida you are only required to have 2 functional Brake lights, The State Statute does not say which 2 brake lights. I had a State Trooper tell me that a 3rd brake light and one added to the receiver hitch would keep you from getting a ticket. That said, you will be golden here with the top off as long as your regular brake lights are working. As far as the seat belts are concerned, just attach them to your roll cage. You are adding a roll cage, right? Seriously, you are good here as long as you still have functional lap belts.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:42 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745
khadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant future
Not every "Bronco" had a removable top!

Little brother Bronco II was full hard top, but I don't think

This truck counts anyway.

Broncos are the coolest looking trucks out there, I am glad I own one, one

That I will never sell.

I have never removed my cover. I enjoy driving it with all the windows rolled

Down.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Zip
Posting Legend
Zip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputation
I had a 66 and pulled the top off often during the summer. Dropped it on myself once as well. Also had an 80 which the top was off as well. Much lighter. Now have a 79. Have not had top off. Too cold to do it now.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:03 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
The Bronco II was NOT a Bronco! It was produce by Ford DURING the production run of the Bronco model and therefore cannot be and is NOT a Bronco. It would be a disservice to relegate it to being a Bronco when in fact it is a unique model with a unique name "Bronco II". You cannot and will not find a "deuce" without the "II" unless some unscrupulous owner has emasculated it by lopping off its "II". You would not call a Bronco a Bronco II! So how do you justify lumping a Bronco II into the Bronco phylum?

Every Bronco ever made had a removable portion of the roof! By the same token, not one Bronco II ever made had ANY portion of the roof that was removable. This, if nothing else, distinguishes the two models as being unique unto themselves. (Steps down from soapbox, picks it up and stuffs under left arm. Turns and exists stage left. End of rant.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removable top bronco

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.