1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removable top bronco

Old 06-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 368 Likes on 278 Posts
I have leather and snaps on mine, works great and is 95% waterproof.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:50 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YIKES! why would someone do that :[ Oh well. I would go in and seal everything with silicone, all the window edges, everything. My 82 mustang has a pop top sunroof and i thought the edges were leaking but it wasn't. Th water went into the channels like they were intended to but didn't drain right. IT pooled up and went into the sleeves then into my headliner and onto my leg. I couldn't do anything about it. The guy who put it in might not have put in any sort of rain channel to catch the water so it just kinda falls in.

Even if you did the convertible style and someone was really determined to get in, they could easily cut the top. If you get a bid enough sub box, you won't be able to get it out of those holes without dropping the tailgate. I have this
Name:  2012-03-03_145633.jpg
Views: 3824
Size:  99.8 KB
With my 4 channel amp screwed down on the top. The box alone weighs around 50 pounds. Also even with the regular top on and window up they can always break it.... Thieves can be ruthless.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:05 AM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by udsuth78
this may be a little off topic but what the hey. anyone got any ideas on what to do about a bad sunroof job the PO did on my bronc. the thing is boggered up with silicone(which looks like crap) and it still leaks.

With how that looks I would take it all out and replace it with a single sheet of plexiglass that you can properly rivit/ bolt/ screw down to the roof and seal with non-hardening windshield sealant.

[quote=dgabriele;11902373]As for the convertible - I have been thinking about doing the cut out one that greystreak92 suggested/did. But it just occurred to me that people can literally pull off the window and steal anything out of the car. Right now that wouldn't be an issue, but I'm also working on a sound system and I don't want anyone taking my subwoofer or anything else of value.

Now, for painting the roof: so, since mine doesn't have any kind of buildup of moss or anything, it's just generally dirty, might have some waxy spot but mostly faded/weathered..do you think I should be fine just scrubbing it with soap and painting over it with a spray can?

Also, do you recommend removing the top to paint it or can it be done while still on the car? quote]

If you are that worried about your subwoofers just bolt the sub box to the floor. For painting you need to clean the top very well then use a scotch pad and good paint prep cleaner to scrub and rough up the top. Mask it all off and spray away.
Good luck and post pics when you get it done.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:47 AM
dgabriele
Freshman User
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
YIKES! why would someone do that :[ Oh well. I would go in and seal everything with silicone, all the window edges, everything. My 82 mustang has a pop top sunroof and i thought the edges were leaking but it wasn't. Th water went into the channels like they were intended to but didn't drain right. IT pooled up and went into the sleeves then into my headliner and onto my leg. I couldn't do anything about it. The guy who put it in might not have put in any sort of rain channel to catch the water so it just kinda falls in.

Even if you did the convertible style and someone was really determined to get in, they could easily cut the top. If you get a bid enough sub box, you won't be able to get it out of those holes without dropping the tailgate. I have this

With my 4 channel amp screwed down on the top. The box alone weighs around 50 pounds. Also even with the regular top on and window up they can always break it.... Thieves can be ruthless.
Sorry for the long quote I'm on my phone.

That kind of thief is exactly what I'm worried about because it has happened before! I think my bro (PO) was parked at the Queens courthouse- at work- and those ruthless bitches shattered the back glass and stole his $1500 system. Bolting it seems like a decent solution

Old 06-12-2012, 12:02 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Yeah it can be a pain. If you decide to bolt it down **Make sure you take plenty of pictures of the box and all the bolts everything** reason being is if the system gets taken, you can prove to the insurance company that it was fastened down securely and they can/will replace it or reimburse you for what the system is worth. My friend made that mistake and her car got stolen and everything was removed from the deck to the pile of clothes she had in the trunk. The ins company told her that since she didn't have the sub box bolted down they couldn't do anything about it.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:21 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Just put an NRA sticker on yer car....a big one. Problem solved.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:43 AM
dgabriele
Freshman User
Haha good point....fasten the box & use scare tactics.

I haven't had a chance to spray paint the roof yet because it has been overcast and rainy every day!
No worries though, I will definitely post pics and be sure to document any changes that are made to the beast.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:06 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Why paint over it? Fix it up to where it wont leak and alsi where you can open and close it and lock it. A sunroof in a bronco is cool.

If you have something inside worth stealing...they can always open up yer vent window, or get a slim jim or thin piece of good metal and slide it down the inside of your door and mess with lock, or simply bust the windows, or simply pick the lock, or simply find the extra key that you have tied on yer frame, etc.

Boltin down will make it harder to get and most wont work to steal. They rather pick up and go.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 AM
dgabriele
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ManfredVonRichtofen
Why paint over it? Fix it up to where it wont leak and alsi where you can open and close it and lock it. A sunroof in a bronco is cool.
Since it rains and snows a lot, I need to have two roof options. I definitely plan on making a convertible type top or finding one that has seatbelt harnesses (on my year, the rear belts are fastened to the roof).
The painting is for my current roof which is more or less in good shape except for the white spots due to weathering or attempted cleaning. Because she is all black, the spots are really noticeable and I think it would make a great improvement to update the fiberglass roof.

As for the thieves, well. I guess I have to get to updating the stereo and actually buying the subwoofer before I can really be concerned about a break in.
It's something that indefinitely will be sensitive to though. I don't live in a place where people are especially respectful of these kinds of autos or the work their drivers put into them.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:22 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dgabriele
Since it rains and snows a lot, I need to have two roof options. I definitely plan on making a convertible type top or finding one that has seatbelt harnesses (on my year, the rear belts are fastened to the roof).
The painting is for my current roof which is more or less in good shape except for the white spots due to weathering or attempted cleaning. Because she is all black, the spots are really noticeable and I think it would make a great improvement to update the fiberglass roof.

As for the thieves, well. I guess I have to get to updating the stereo and actually buying the subwoofer before I can really be concerned about a break in.
It's something that indefinitely will be sensitive to though. I don't live in a place where people are especially respectful of these kinds of autos or the work their drivers put into them.
Well thank God I dont live up there....I'd shoot a load of them jokers and throw them on back...and dump em in the swamp and let the gaters eat them. Yeah thats how I roll.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 AM
dgabriele
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ManfredVonRichtofen
Well thank God I dont live up there....I'd shoot a load of them jokers and throw them on back...and dump em in the swamp and let the gaters eat them. Yeah thats how I roll.
Baaahahahahaha ok so my friends and I recently got back from a roadtrip to Louisiana. Not in the bronco- just to be clear.
And I have to say man oh man I need to go south more often. The trip was way too short and I didn't pick up enough lingo but your last comment definitely brings me back!
We went on a swamp tour and met an awesome guy named Cajun jack (supposedly a '70-something heart throb football star from LSU). I really wish I had the kind of nature in my back yard that you guys get to rock with. I get excited when I see a minor puddle or
a new home construction site so I can play and get the beast a little dirty. But nothing compares to the mudding videos I've seen on YouTube:
Same year (ish) 90s bronco & blazer go for an offroading playdate in the mud. Chevy gets stuck, bronco- a fine gentleman- towes him out. Then the Bronco wants to have some fun so he tries the same ditch which destroyed his friends ego...and the bronc rocks it. That's my dream.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dgabriele
Baaahahahahaha ok so my friends and I recently got back from a roadtrip to Louisiana. Not in the bronco- just to be clear.
And I have to say man oh man I need to go south more often. The trip was way too short and I didn't pick up enough lingo but your last comment definitely brings me back!
We went on a swamp tour and met an awesome guy named Cajun jack (supposedly a '70-something heart throb football star from LSU). I really wish I had the kind of nature in my back yard that you guys get to rock with. I get excited when I see a minor puddle or
a new home construction site so I can play and get the beast a little dirty. But nothing compares to the mudding videos I've seen on YouTube:
Same year (ish) 90s bronco & blazer go for an offroading playdate in the mud. Chevy gets stuck, bronco- a fine gentleman- towes him out. Then the Bronco wants to have some fun so he tries the same ditch which destroyed his friends ego...and the bronc rocks it. That's my dream.
I love where I live. Wouldnt mind going to the Pacific NW or go to Europe in some places. But each and everyday I see more real estate forming (not really much now since the economy is like it is)..but I see it and I dont like it. I know people need a place to stay but hell...one...two...three houses later then you have a suburb on yer hands which brings more crime and problems.

We own a farm but majority of it is swamp and timberland. Alot of farmers around my part are clearcutting their timber and making new fields. I hate seeing it. Dont get me wrong. I love agriculture and my family and I have done it.I know people need to eat and with the population on the rise...Im afraid more real estate and farm land will overtake the woodlands. Its hard to find old wilderness that has never seen a logger or hiker. But thats life...
But the woods to me is an escape from everyday typical things and is basically my little piece of Heaven on Earth.

Ok done with my ranting. Lol

Old 06-12-2012, 01:01 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Ha you guys crack me up. Anywho the weather in the PNW in washington is OK mostly overcast and rain bu once in a while sunshine. There is a lot of trees and stuff but most of it has small man made hiking trails. Generally if they are cut it is for a bigger pathway to get through. If you do visit the Washington area, try to see the Eastern side where it is more deaserty, then come on over to the western side of things and find some nice scenery. There is a place nearby my home called Tiger Mountain and it is an old logging area, but there are some great hiking trails and scenes to behold.

Anyways about the tops and security, a friend of mine with a newer 80's bronco told me that just about any other f-150 or bronco key can unlock our doors and it gets easier the older the vehicle it is. So a guy with a 79 bronco key could wiggle and jiggle his key and unlock my door. Scary to know but nice if you lock your keys in there at a Ford car show

Old 06-12-2012, 07:08 PM
mightymoose95
Mountain Pass
where can you get soft tops??

Old 06-12-2012, 07:43 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
You can usually find them on places like Ebay, but they are fading into the dark. Nor many people make them anymore. There should be some links back 1 or 2 pages that show you what kinds but i can't guarantee that you can get one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removable top bronco