6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel water separator draining

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Yep I drained mine when I got home as well. I can't tell if theres water in it or not. I need to get a clear container to drain my fuel in to, then let it settle out over night, and look at it in the morning. This would be neat to see and a good indicator of what is going on. My fuel almost entirely comes from one specific high-volume fuel stop, and usually one specific pump. When I am out on the road I try to hit the big truck stops if I can.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:32 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well this has been a good reminder for everyone to faithfully drain their separator. Now who is going to start the thread on getting your prostate checked?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Jakebrake
< Samantha...my Co-Pilot

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 720Deere
Well this has been a good reminder for everyone to faithfully drain their separator. Now who is going to start the thread on getting your prostate checked?
Are we checking it for "Fuel or Water"?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 PM
CascadeF250
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I might add that I have 17,000 miles on my truck and just as I said before drained my truck for the first time and no water. I read the part in the manual about the information screen telling you when you had a problem and didn't pay attention to the monthly drain instructions probably wrongly. In 170,000 miles on my 2001 7.3 I never experienced water in the fuel. I became nervous like others after rictac's problems. It is so easy I think I will do it more often than once in 17,000 miles.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 PM
hschiro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be doing this on my new truck but what do you do with the fuel? I live in the city area no too many places to discard this stuff or burn it??? What do you all do with the fuel!

Old 09-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Jakebrake
< Samantha...my Co-Pilot

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Pour it on any weeds in your yard (maybe not in California)...or pour it back in your fuel tank(as long as it is clean and you put it in a clean container).

Old 09-20-2011, 11:43 PM
shadowSVT
Senior User
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
diesel fuel will attract moisture (water)
in higher humidity area's, this is even more critical.
couple of keys -
always buy fuel from a station that is busy, the more fuel they move, the less time it has to attract moisture
always try to keep your tank full - its better to run it down to half full and fill it up than it is to run it empty and only fill it half full.
in my 05 and 08, I changed the fuel filters every 15K miles, and never drained otherwise.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 AM
kabur66
Senior User
Originally Posted by shadowSVT
diesel fuel will attract moisture (water)
in higher humidity area's, this is even more critical.
couple of keys -
always buy fuel from a station that is busy, the more fuel they move, the less time it has to attract moisture
always try to keep your tank full - its better to run it down to half full and fill it up than it is to run it empty and only fill it half full.
in my 05 and 08, I changed the fuel filters every 15K miles, and never drained otherwise.
Good ideas to follow. And as mentioned above, go to the same fuel station.
Do you change the fuel filters yourself? My Ford dealer wants $200 to do it.
($130 for an oil change)
ken

Old 09-21-2011, 10:41 AM
don.joyce59
Senior User
There seems to be much mis-information on this thread. Page 36 of the Diesel supplement states that you only need to drain the fuel filter/water separator when the indicator light in the message center indicates it is necessary, or at every oil change. Nothing is stated about draining it monthly. There is a lot of information in the owners manual and I'm beginning to think perhaps this forum is not the best place to get information.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:28 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by don.joyce59
There seems to be much mis-information on this thread. Page 36 of the Diesel supplement states that you only need to drain the fuel filter/water separator when the indicator light in the message center indicates it is necessary, or at every oil change. Nothing is stated about draining it monthly. There is a lot of information in the owners manual and I'm beginning to think perhaps this forum is not the best place to get information.
I'm still draining mine monthly.
It allows 150 ml of water to collect and does state above that may cause damage.
If water is slowly collected over time, I would rather keep it below that amount.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:48 AM
p12483
Senior User
Originally Posted by don.joyce59
It appears we may have different manuals... but if you look in your scheduled maintenance section pg 72 on mine: under every month it states- fuel/water separator; drain if necessary.
If you think this forum is not good information, the reason for this topic is due to another members troubles with a dealership claiming there is water in his fuel and denying to fix the problem under warranty, even though he never got a WIF light. So govern yourself accordingly . So we are learning from others issues and doing PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:13 PM
don.joyce59
Senior User
You guys quoting the page numbers that say "drain every month", are you looking in the 2011 diesel supplement? One said it was on page 67, another page 72. My book, fourth printing, does not say that on either page. In fact there is nothing regarding the fuel filter/water separator on either of these pages. The only mention I have found in the supplement is on page 36 and it states "drain it when the message center says to, or at each oil change."

Old 09-21-2011, 03:30 PM
2011F-250KR
Junior User

Originally Posted by p12483
It appears we may have different manuals... but if you look in your scheduled maintenance section pg 72 on mine: under every month it states- fuel/water separator; drain if necessary.
Originally Posted by p12483
If you think this forum is not good information, the reason for this topic is due to another members troubles with a dealership claiming there is water in his fuel and denying to fix the problem under warranty, even though he never got a WIF light. So govern yourself accordingly . So we are learning from others issues and doing PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE.
<O</O
<O</O

I have the pdf version of the Diesel Supplement (5th Printing) and page 72 does have a bullet under the Monthly checks that states:
· Fuel filter/water separator; drain if necessary<O</O
Wouldn't you have to drain it first to see if it was necessary?? Isn’t it the light and message that tell you it’s necessary?
<O</O

Page 4 has this info:<O</O

The DFCM should be drained at regular intervals or when indicated by<O</O
the message center message and water in fuel indicator light.<O</O
<O</O

Should it not say:<O</O
The DFCM should be drained at regular intervals ANDwhen indicated by<O</O
the message center message and water in fuel indicator light.<O</O
?
<O</O

Here is the blurb on pg 38:
</O
Water should be drained from the module assembly whenever the warning light comes on and the message center directs you to drain the water separator.
<O</O
I too agree about misinformation and that the manual could put more emphasis on the importance of draining the water separator. Just by reading this thread, it appears there are several out there that have not been doing it regularly or at all.

<O</O

Old 09-21-2011, 10:55 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I found it.
I knew I had read a document FROM FORD stating the word monthly.
The PDF is attached.

Take Care of your Fuel Injection System
�� Diesel fuel quality is critical for reliable engine operation. Motorcraft® Cetane Booster & Performance Improver, PM-22-A (U.S.) / PM-22-B
(Canada) can be added to improve fuel economy, starting ability, and reduce engine wear.
�� The water separator should be drained monthly or when the "Water in Fuel Lamp" illuminates.�� Biodiesel fuel must not exceed 20% (B20). To avoid cold weather fuel gelling, add 6 oz. of Motorcraft® Anti-Gel & Performance Improver
PM-23-A (U.S.) / PM-23-B (Canada) to every new tank of fuel.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
6.7L_Supplement.pdf (27.4 KB, 364 views)