Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Fuel water separator draining (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1100348-fuel-water-separator-draining.html)

p12483 09-18-2011 08:19 AM

Fuel water separator draining

I am new to diesels as far as ownership. How often should I be draining my water separator. I have no indicator lights. Saw ricks trouble with possible warranty denial due to water in fuel so wanted to check and see. Only have 1100 miles and 3 fillups.

Tom 09-18-2011 08:33 AM

It's recommended that you drain the fuel/water separator once a month to remove contaminants. See page 67 of your diesel supplement! :-X22

dschuffert 09-18-2011 09:57 AM

It is always a good practice to get into a preventive maintenance routine with these trucks. I go back to my old Army days where there was a specific routine for each piece of equipment before it was operated. I do the same with this truck and my farm equipment. Everyone is different and has their own way of doing things. At minimum, I recommend you follow the manual for the different maintenance tasks.

kper05 09-18-2011 02:07 PM

I drain mine monthly.
The low cost of lost diesel is much cheaper than a new fuel system.

GCLL 09-18-2011 02:10 PM

Doesn't the computer let you know when it needs drained?

Tom 09-18-2011 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by GCLL (Post 10823209)

There is a sensor, but you're still supposed to drain it monthly. If there is water sitting in the DFCM there is a higher likelihood that too much water will make it past the filter and into the high pressure fuel system. This can cause rust, pump failure, injector failure, and other very expensive problems. The 6.7L engine with it's Bosch system seems to be more resilient, but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way!

F2502011 09-19-2011 05:01 AM

Glad I ran across this thread. Had the truck for 7 months and have never drained it didn't know it needed to be done so often and still wouldn't if I hadn't read this. Hopefully no damage has been done. Is it easy to do?

dschuffert 09-19-2011 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by F2502011 (Post 10825192)
Glad I ran across this thread. Had the truck for 7 months and have never drained it didn't know it needed to be done so often and still wouldn't if I hadn't read this. Hopefully no damage has been done. Is it easy to do?

You should be fine. I drain mine monthly and have yet to see any water in it. I think it all depends on your fuel sources. The step-by-step instructions are in your manual, that is the best place to look before you do it the first time. Very simple to do.

Gunny77 09-19-2011 06:10 AM

This is good info, guess I need to drain mine. I assume that using a fuel additive like the motorcraft brand will help reduce the water.

kper05 09-19-2011 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by GCLL (Post 10823209)

I was convinced early on to consider the WIF light to indicate an issue.
Ie; stop now and figure out why if it does turn on.
I've never had any water in my fuel but I wouldn't know that if I didn't drain it.

wtrlogd 09-19-2011 09:24 AM

Anyone know if draining water from the fuel separator is standard practice for a dealer while performing an oil change/service.

kabur66 09-19-2011 09:47 AM

I drained my separator for the first time. I drained it for about 25 seconds as recommendeds by the supplement. I really did not see any water (I don't think). The fluid must have been diesel fuel. How do you tell the difference between water and diesel fuel??? If I continued to drain the separator, will the fluid finally stop, or will it continue to drain diesel?

The diesel fuel is very pungent. Before my wife let me into the 5th wheel I had to change my closes and wash up.

ken

rickatic 09-19-2011 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by wtrlogd (Post 10825876)
Anyone know if draining water from the fuel separator is standard practice for a dealer while performing an oil change/service.

It was not a standard practice at the dealer that I use...but it is now...the last 3 oil changes since I had the injector failure all received a water separator drain.

My truck gets drained every other tankful.

Regards

wiedsworld 09-19-2011 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by kabur66 (Post 10825957)
I drained my separator for the first time. I drained it for about 25 seconds as recommendeds by the supplement. I really did not see any water (I don't think). The fluid must have been diesel fuel. How do you tell the difference between water and diesel fuel??? If I continued to drain the separator, will the fluid finally stop, or will it continue to drain diesel?

The diesel fuel is very pungent. Before my wife let me into the 5th wheel I had to change my closes and wash up.

ken

You will see water bubbles at the bottom of the container once you leave it settle for about 5 minutes. It's very easy to see water in fuel since it is heavier than the fuel and sits on the bottom. If you have a lot of it, you will see a clear cut line between the fuel and water. Hope this helps.

mach8274 09-19-2011 01:27 PM

Just drained mine about an hour ago...no water that I can see. Kinda makes one nervous though if we get bad fuel from a filling station.