Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:01 AM
hollenjoe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmition issues

Hi,

short story,
I was driving at 40 -30 mph on a dark street and rammed through a bit of water ( maybe 4" high and 6 feet across). So right after i got these tranny codes and my tranny went to safe mode kicking hard when shifting:

P0705
Transmission Range Sensor Out Of Self Test Range Or Shorted To Ground

P1783
Transmission Over Temperature Condition

P0712
Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Input Low

P1702
Transmission Concern

Luckily I was a block away from home. So i assumed all those sensors shorted with water ( I thought they were all water proof...hmm) so i let them dry.

So the codes went away and the truck seamed fine for 2 weeks until i felt the tranny kicking again into gears yesterday. So today i went on a test drive and it was fine at first until it went into safe mode again with only 2 codes:

P0705
Transmission Range Sensor Out Of Self Test Range Or Shorted To Ground

P1702
Transmission Concern

So, that means the other sensors dried out and i destroyed the TRS? and if so would it malfunctioning cause the tranny to go into safe mode or could there be some other issue?

Thanx

Old 09-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Apparently the TRS has some damage of some sort.
I would replace it.
The TRS passes info to the computer to tell the computer what you did with the colum shift position and what gear your in so it knows how to control the transmission electrically.
Since the computer is a digital device, it need digital signals from the transmission through the DTR (trs) in that format.
Example gear 1 is a octal or binary 1 or a 100 code. Gear 2 is a 010, gear 3 is a 001.
These are selected leads in those combinations.
Reverse has no code other than position since it never up or downshifts.
The other codes were likely due to connector water infiltration that may have dried up.
I would replace the DTR if you continue to see an issue and even clear the connectors with a special cleaner and re set them with the water resistance grease such as the factory used when originally built.
Good luck.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:21 PM
hollenjoe
Posting Guru
thanx bluegrass,

The TRS is located on the driver side part of the transmition and looks like the tps right? Never chenged one before...

What does DTR stand for? sorry for my ignorance..

Old 09-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Digital Transmission Range...selector.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:39 PM
ahun88
New User
Dang man hope ya get it fixed

Old 10-20-2012, 11:10 AM
TheWitchNexDoor
New User
Question Transmission Codes P0708 & P1702

I have a 2004 Ford F-750 and had a used motor put in it. After I got it back I now have 2 codes and was wondering if anyone can answer a few questions. On the dash I have "Transmission Malfunction" light on, the service engine light, and O/D Off light flashing. My back up sensors are not working now either.

When the motor was replaced somehow the wiring harness was caught between the motor and transmission. The mechanic unbolted the transmission to get the harness out from between the motor and transmission. Could this have been the reason I now have the codes:

P0708 - P0708 FORD - Transmission Range Sensor Circuit High Input

P1702 - P1702 FORD - TRS Circuit Intermittent Fault

Thanks for any help.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Well it's pretty evidient the harness is damaged.
Both codes tell you the range selector is not sending back to the computer the correct information positions.
The same selector operates the backup functions.
Fix the harness and the problems will clear.
Why was this just let go at the time the work was done?
Good luck.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:28 PM
TheWitchNexDoor
New User
Question Transmission Codes P0708 & P1702

Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
Well it's pretty evidient the harness is damaged.
Both codes tell you the range selector is not sending back to the computer the correct information positions.
The same selector operates the backup functions.
Fix the harness and the problems will clear.
Why was this just let go at the time the work was done?
Good luck.
What happened was when the mechanic called to tell me it was done and he test drove it, I went to pick it up. When I tried to start it, it wouldn't start and he started looking to see why it wouldn't start. After lifting it up and looking under it he said that the harness was caught between the motor and transmission and he would have to keep it over night and "drop" the transmission to get the harness out of the way. When I went to pick it up the next day it started and runs fine but the codes showed up at that time. The mechanic said that it has to go through a "drive cycle" and it'll be fine. I've never heard of anything like that and 4 days after picking it up it is still there. Then yesterday I noticed a spot in the driveway that was transmission fluid and took it to a different shop to see what they tell me these codes are and where the transmission fluid was dripping from. That was when they showed me that the fluid is dripping from where the dip stick goes into the pan and is not seated. Gave me the codes and I came here for help. As to why this was missed? I have no idea just need information to go back to the original mechanic with some information and insight to talk to him and have it repaired. So if I understand you, maybe some of the wires in the harness are pinched or damaged and need to be replaced?

Thank you for all of your help!

Old 10-20-2012, 01:32 PM
TheWitchNexDoor
New User
Transmission Codes P0708 & P1702

it is a 2004 F-150 not F-750 lol

Old 10-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
In the harness is the 'neutral' start control leads.
If these are cut you can't start the motor either in neutral or park position.
In the harness are the reverse signal leads.
If these are cut or grounded the backup functions won't work.
The rest of the leads control the internal transmission shift solenoids.
The selector position is a digital selection sequence to tell the computer what gears to select in the transmission by what you do with the shift lever.
There is no learning or resetting of any sort to be done.
Good luck.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:08 PM
TheWitchNexDoor
New User
Okay, thank you so much for the help. I most definitely will have to have him replace that harness then. You have been a great help.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:23 PM
diesldoct
Senior User
Just curious dI'd you ever figure out what was wrong with your transmission throwing the p0712 and p1783 codes, Mike is throwing the same codes too?

Old 03-10-2017, 09:40 PM
RaKienitz
New User
o/d loght flashing w/ p0705 c

*light

im new to fords (2000 f-150 5.4 208,000), and new to this whole in depth repair it yourself thing.

ok to start i was driving to work tonight and noticed the o/d "off" light flashing. it shifted hard one time then felt normal the rest of the way to work. at red lights the o/d light world turn off and about 3 minutes later it would flash again. when i got to work i checked my code reader which gave me the p0705. i have searched around the net for about an hour and one thing i am seeing is that the fluid is "hot" or that there isnt enough. i have checked it and it looks slightly low like right above the add indication.

the only sound i here from under the truck is a rattle when in drive and at idle, but once i give it some gas it goes away.

history on the truck is kinda iffy as i recently bought it and the seller didnt disclose any information.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Your saying 705 in the header and 750 in the body of the post.
Which is it?
Good luck.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:19 PM
RaKienitz
New User
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
Your saying 705 in the header and 750 in the body of the post.
Which is it?
Good luck.
0705 sorry typo.

*update*

on they way home that night the o/d light was still flashing but it drove fine just at higher rpm, it down shifted hard one time but there were no other issues. i checked the fuses and they are all good. havent had the money to change the trs but im worried that that wont fix the issue

Quick Reply: Transmition issues