1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Which is better, timken or sealed bearings for the rear axle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 AM
banned
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is better, timken or sealed bearings for the rear axle?

I need a replacement bearing. My 1960 F100 truck has sealed bearings on the rear axle shafts but the parts houses tell me the timken tapered are what they show. It seems to me that the bearing should be open to the rear axle lubricant.
Whats your opinion?

Old 09-06-2011, 11:47 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Howdy,

You have an F-100.

I don't think 1/2 ton trucks usually have rear-axle oil lubricating the axle bearings do they?

It's common and required on full floating axles though. and if you have a full floating axle you'll have inner and outer tapered bearings..... F-100s don't usually have full floating axles.

Front wheel drive cars and (4-wheel drive) trucks have sealed bearings in the front. They go well over 100,000 miles with (usually) no problems.

(My 16 year old 3/4T Suburban has over 190,000 miles on the original sealed front wheel bearings)

I went to Rock auto and according to them, A Timken 514003 is a bearing that will work in a 1960 F-100 rear axle.

It of course depends on what axle you have.

Front bearings are almost ALWAYS tapered and there's always 2 per wheel.
(Unless it's front or 4 wheel drive)

And by the way, I would replace BOTH bearings if you think one needs replacing.

Regards,

Rick

Old 09-06-2011, 12:44 PM
banned
Junior User
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115

I don't think 1/2 ton trucks usually have rear-axle oil lubricating the axle bearings do they?
I went to Rock auto and according to them, A Timken 514003 is a bearing that will work in a 1960 F-100 rear axle.
Rick
Rick, how is Rock Autos Timken lubricated?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:53 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by banned
Rick, how is Rock Autos Timken lubricated?
Same as any sealed bearing. During manufacture.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:01 PM
banned
Junior User
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
Same as any sealed bearing. During manufacture.
A Timken tapered bearing is NOT a sealed bearing but thanks for the humor

Old 09-06-2011, 03:25 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Don't see any humor here. Seals are an option on just about any bearing. Assuming your truck has a 9", #514003 looks like the right bearing. It appears to have a seal on the side shown; maybe the other side is open. It is not a tapered bearing, it's a straight roller bearing. They are usually greased and sealed. It includes the retaining collar. Only about $6 most places, unless you get Genuine Timken.

On the other hand, I have a later 9" that uses tapered bearings, and they are lubricated by the diff oil, and are not sealed. There are many variations of 9" axles, so if you'd care to share some particulars about your truck's axle, tag #'s, etc., maybe you can get the answer you like.

Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2011, 05:36 AM
banned
Junior User
My question is "Which is better, timken or sealed bearings for the rear axle?"
Your front wheel bearings dont answer my question.
I hope someone knowledgeable will respond

Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
We're all knowledgeable enough to see a bad attitude. Your comment on the frame swap thread was bad enough, but you just cut your own throat with regards to any further help from the FTE regulars. Kind of ironic you picked the name "banned".

Old 09-07-2011, 10:57 AM
manyolcars
Junior User
Hey Doc, I have also noticed that most questions about frame swaps come from people who are not very knowledgeable about old cars. I have seen quite a few Model As and Model Ts where a modern chassis was used because it was easy but the result put the front wheels between the radiator and firewall.
That really looks bad. Using a proper aftermarket frame is not the same as using an S10 frame under a Model A. Does banned's comment on the frame swap really disqualify him from getting a legitimate answer to the axle bearing question? I agree with him that a Timken tapered bearing exposed to the rear axle lubricant seems better than a sealed bearing.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
As far as his comments regarding the bearings, had nothing to do with his question. I quite frankly don't like seeing my friends try to help somebody and get insults like that when he doesn't like their answers. It was way out of line.

As far as the frame swap issue, he insulted that person as well. Had nothing to do with the frame swap issue itself.

This isn't the HAMB, we don't tolerate personal attacks like calling someone we don't know an "amateur" or saying things like "but thanks for the humor" or "I hope someone knowledgeable will respond".

By the way, we had somebody on this board once who loved to take jabs like that at undeserving people. Let's just say they're no longer here (or are they?)

Old 09-07-2011, 11:19 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I need a replacement bearing.
Whats your opinion?
You are asking for opinions, but you don't like the answers you are getting?
New bearings are better than old rusty ones.....if the timken type are all that's available, use those....

Old 09-07-2011, 11:39 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
You don't get to choose; if the existing axle has tapered, that's what you use. They wouldn't be sealed most likely. If it has a sealed straight roller bearing, that's what you use. The housing and axle shafts you have dictate the choice.

A sealed bearing is likely to last longer than an open bearing at the same load, because metal bits from the diff gears that are in the oil don't get to it. No water/condensation in the grease inside a sealed bearing. When I cleaned out my F-1's axle tubes I got a pile of sludge and grit that had worked its way into the axle over 50 yrs of use, about a handful.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
It`s getting tense folks, time to chill before this thread has to be closed.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Timken is a brand name. Not a specific type of bearing.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:57 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
My question is "Which is better, timken or sealed bearings for the rear axle?"
Your front wheel bearings dont answer my question.
I hope someone knowledgeable will respond
A Timken tapered bearing is NOT a sealed bearing but thanks for the humor
No humor was intended.

Your question was a valid one. It's ok that you're not knowledgeable about this stuff.

1/2T trucks and cars use "semi-floating" rear axle shafts. They don't use bearings that get oil from the rear axle (and they don't use tapered bearings like on the front).

The following is an excerpt from the 1954-1955 Ford Truck Shop Manual.

3. INTEGRAL HOUSING HYPOID REAR AXLE

.....................The wheel bearings are of the pre-lubricated, single-row, ball type, and are securely pressed onto the axle shaft and backed by a safety locking ring. These bearings are permanently lubricated and do not require periodic lubrication......................................
[emphasis mine]

I hope this clears it up.

Let me also add that Ford hasn't changed much how they do 1/2T light duty rear axles for many years well into the 80's and 90's

Quick Reply: Which is better, timken or sealed bearings for the rear axle?