Sponsored by: Moser

Towing with Ecoboost 3.5

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:20 AM
flyinnuts
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdmpo
Maybe. But for those reasons is why the Super Doodie rides like poop and makes a poor vehicle to get around in when not hauling or towing. I suppose it depends on the frequency of hauling or towing, and what one does the most of.
I'm one of those that do not miss my PSD, and bid it farewell; I can finally have the best of both worlds and don't need a huge diesel truck to easily tow 8000-10,000# anymore.
Your last statement regarding towing 8k-10k is very general and could lead to confusion. I do not doubt the EB can manage those weights with certain trailers.

However, the ecoboost in my signature without the addition of airbags is not adequate to pull a 6000# (empty) gooseneck horse trailer. I have tried. I would be more than happy to post pics to show how the truck rear springs were unable handle the pin weight. Many if not most GN or 5er's will require airbags when used on the 150.

By no means am I disparaging the EB capabilities. I do own one and find that it performs beautifully within its limitations. I would hate to see someone go buy a truck based on that 8k-10k comment and then realize additional modifications (airbags) are required depending on the type of 8k-10k trailer they are using.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:44 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by 08SDGal
Actually, that is not the whole truth. The tests were done by pickuptrucks.com, btw. The 5.0 and EB have not been tested side by side yet. The 5.0 towed a 9000lb V-nose trailer for 200 miles around the LA area. The EB towed a 9000lb blunt nose trailer up to Vegas, and across the damn, and over the continental divide in CO.

PUTC wants to do a side by side, but have been able to yet.

Oh yeah, they did not use premium in the EB either.

I would say that due to the forced induction, the EB would do much better than the 5.0 at higher elevations. Running premium would help to protect against the fuel dumping, as it burns much slower, and is less prone to detonation (the condition that would cause the computer to dump fuel).

From reading towing reports from all over, and some of them are pretty darn heavy, I would say the EB would tow just fine. Especially for your specifics. I would not go with the 5.5' bed, however. You can get the 6.5' bed in the CC, and that would be the way I would go. Plus, with the 2012's getting the 36-gallon tank, that would be a big win win.
thanks for the clarification.

it has been a while since i read the article and apparently didn't remember the details correctly.

I don't want anyone to think i was trying to mislead or skew the facts. I just have accute CRS syndrome (Can't Remeber S#!t)

Old 09-08-2011, 12:52 PM
dbossman
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts
Airbags

Originally Posted by flyinnuts
Your last statement regarding towing 8k-10k is very general and could lead to confusion. I do not doubt the EB can manage those weights with certain trailers.

However, the ecoboost in my signature without the addition of airbags is not adequate to pull a 6000# (empty) gooseneck horse trailer. I have tried. I would be more than happy to post pics to show how the truck rear springs were unable handle the pin weight. Many if not most GN or 5er's will require airbags when used on the 150.

By no means am I disparaging the EB capabilities. I do own one and find that it performs beautifully within its limitations. I would hate to see someone go buy a truck based on that 8k-10k comment and then realize additional modifications (airbags) are required depending on the type of 8k-10k trailer they are using.
It seems to me that requiring airbags is getting more common on both F150's and Super Duties. Ford's efforts at improving the ride has resulted in trucks that squat quite a bit without a lot of tongue weight.

I tow an 8K lb bumper pull trailer with my 09 4x4 CC F250 and it squats more than I would have thought. I've measured the tongue weight and its around 1000 lbs depending on how the trailer is loaded. My buddy with a CC Silverado HD experiences little or not squat with the same trailer. You drop the hitch on it and there is NO movement. The difference is quite amazing.

Squating a bit isnt necessarily an issue, but I added air bags anyways. It just seems wrong to have your SD dragging its rear end.

Tim

Old 09-08-2011, 01:42 PM
08SDGal
Freshman User
Originally Posted by meborder
thanks for the clarification.

it has been a while since i read the article and apparently didn't remember the details correctly.

I don't want anyone to think i was trying to mislead or skew the facts. I just have accute CRS syndrome (Can't Remeber S#!t)
LOL. I don't think anyone thought you were trying to mislead or skew the facts. I certainly didn't.

I guess I'm lucky. Even at my advanced age (47) I am able to remember car/truck facts very easily. Especially if I am interested in the particular vehicle.

Now, my husband does suffer from CRS, but his is of the short term variety. He can remember every tiny obscure automotive fact that you could ever dream up. He can explain how you can tell a 1937 ______ from a 1938 ________ just because of the slight curve difference on the grille. Frankly, I am in awe. It is nice going to car shows with him, however.

Our 9-year-old now thinks he is an automotive expert also. Oh boy. He thinks he is getting a new Boss 302 as his first car.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:21 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by flyinnuts
I would hate to see someone go buy a truck based on that 8k-10k comment and then realize additional modifications (airbags) are required depending on the type of 8k-10k trailer they are using.
I paid right around $200 American for my no-frills AirLift bags and installed them no problem. Thats not alot to have to shell out if one had to IMO. Just sayin'.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:00 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
What is the pin weight of that goose neck? You'll need the HD payload package, I am sure, and I think that requires the 6.5' bed.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
I installed Timbren vehicle suspension system in mine. Fancy rubber blocks but they work, keep the sag away. They come with two levels, I only used the one as both made the truck too jumpy without a load or trailer. Chris

Old 09-08-2011, 08:46 PM
flyinnuts
Senior User
Here are the CAT scale weights when the empty trailer was hooked up the my 350.
Front 4920
Rear 4700
Trailer 4240

I haven't weighed the 350 empty but an educated guess of the empty rear axle weight would be around 3500. I think it would be safe to say the pin weight would be somewhere between 1000 and 1400.

Does the max tow include a different rear spring package? My 150 does have the 5.5 bed. I was afraid the additional length would be to difficult for what the wife uses it for.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:07 PM
LOFD
Junior User
Wow the wealth of knowledge on this site never ceases to amaze me, if I ever want to know something I come here.
Anyway it is a hot topic for towing payload tow weights; kind of make your head spin. I have a 2010 Ford F150 screw 6.5 box and the max tow package. I towed a tag along Jayco 35 ft travel trailer, dry weight 9500lbs, truck hauled it no problem now I was not doing the quarter mile going up hills but it hauled it nice and we have some steep hills here in Nova Scotia, lowest it dropped going up the steepest hill was 80km.
I recently traded my trailer for a fifth wheel, same dry weight, I do have a little sag not much I think we measured it and it was 2 inches, but I am going to be putting airbags on that will lessen the sag if not eliminate it (I hope), but the difference from a tag along to a fifth wheel was amazing, gas mileage went down a bit because of the bigger bill board compared to the tag along, but it towed a lot better and it seemed less of a strain on the engine, I never dropped below 90km and felt comfortable towing it at 115km (another reason why I used more fuel), but cruising at 100km was like I was not pulling anything, even my wife was amazed and she hate driving even as a passenger. I will always stay with a fifth wheel now that I have experienced it. Oh my pin weight was around 1800 lbs.
I am very pleased with the truck and love the new set up meaning the truck and trailer. I will try and post a picture.

Last edited by LOFD; 09-20-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: add a picture
Old 09-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Shadow Grey
Junior User
If you move the pin location even 1" forward of the axle line it would make a big difference on rear axle load...let the front end share some of the load too.

Most GN's (flatbeds, tilts, grain/rock haulers, etc) I have seen do not protrude forward...maybe horse trailer GN's do.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:34 PM
eaglebqh
New User
LOFD - what motor do you have in your 150? Did Ford have the 3.5 Ecoboost in 2010? I'm the one that started this thread and am really wanting to jump to the 150 and keep my 30 ft goose-neck trailer but am just a little concerned.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:15 PM
LOFD
Junior User
I have a 2010 5.4 xlt with the max tow package 6.5ft box. The 3.5 ecoboast I believe was not available on the truck when I bought it. I bought the truck for the towing capabilities, like I said I will put air bags on just to help, but did not have a problem towing even with the tag along. I really like towing the fifth wheel. Hope this helps.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:52 PM
eaglebqh
New User
Thanks LOFD. I've gone back and forth for a couple of weeks now on whether to downsize from the dually to the Ecoboost 3.5 or not - and if so do I downsize my 4-horse trailer or not.

I drove 3.5 today I was impressed!!! I backed it under my trailer and lowered the trailer on to the bed to see how much squat there'd be and it did drop it by about 4" (but that truck didn't have any trailer pkg on it). I loaded a horse into the trailer and it dropped it by just another 1/4". Pin weight-wise empty the load should be about 1500 lbs. Weight-wise empty the trailer is about 5,500 lbs. Add a horse and misc tack, hay, etc., and it'd be around 7,000 lbs which looks like the 3.5 shouldn't have any problems handling it (assuming max trailer pkg, etc.).

Thanks for your input - really appreciate it.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:13 PM
LOFD
Junior User
Your welcome just wanted to share my story and experience.