Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Towing Travel Trailer (Rented)

Old 06-10-2019, 03:37 PM
xzsbkn
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing Travel Trailer (Rented)

I have a 2018 F150 4x4 SCREW XLT with the trailer tow package and the Max Tow package. I regularly tow my boat which is a 22' SeaRay, launching and retrieving it on a crowded public boat ramp and of course backing it into the barn. My wife and I are going to be camping with some other couples soon and I'm looking into renting a travel trailer (I'm a minimalist backpacker and my wife is not into camping so that is a compromise). I've never towed a travel trailer, just a boat.

I've been looking for something around 26-27 feet, but I found one that is 2 miles from my house, that is 34 feet and about 1/3 of the cost of the others. I'm a little concerned about towing something that large. I think the truck is fine, as the trailer is approximately 7k lbs and I'm (theoretically) rated for 13.2k lbs. As part of the Max Tow package I have an EBC and I think it comes with Trailer Sway control as well.

Is towing a travel trailer that big going to be an issue for someone who has only towed mid-sized boats (5k lbs)? What are differences between towing a boat vs. a travel trailer? The roads where we are going are primarily interstate and normal country roads, but the final couple of miles will be on a mildly rutted gravel road that slopes down to a 4 acre clearing next to a river.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:55 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
I will say ford is misleading when they say max tow package. I can say with certainty 13,200lb towing isn't realistic or achievable as 13,200 only applies to one unique 4x2 157" wb truck with specific options. I suggest posting in the correct forum. Give more specific details of the truck. What is the wheelbase and payload?

Old 06-11-2019, 08:09 AM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
You can easily pull 7000 pounds.. The BIG difference is going to be the length of the trailer, Corners, backing up,etc... A 5500 pound truck on at 3000 pound car trailer weighs more than your camper. ..... Make sure you get the inside equipment loaded so that you have proper tongue weight and you should be good to go.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
I’ve never pulled a trailer that long, so I won’t address any of the technicalities beyond agreeing with steve(I’ll)....that’s a long rig to be hauling down a rutted road.

The other thing to consider is whether you really want to get your wife spoiled to all that space on your first outing. I’d stick to something shorter and see how it goes.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:49 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
If you are renting, does it come with a WDH? You will for sure need one for a trailer of that size.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Theboneskes
Laughing Gas
Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts
Yes to the WDH, and hope it has sway control too....

I tow a Outback 293UBH which is 32 1/2' long and has a GVWR of 7600 pounds. I scaled mine and am just shy of 7000 actually. I tow with a 2003 Expedition 5.4. While it isn't an ideal setup, it goes just fine!

DONT fill the water tanks until you get to the campground. No point in pulling an extra 350+ pounds if you don't have to.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:28 PM
xzsbkn
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
If you are renting, does it come with a WDH? You will for sure need one for a trailer of that size.
Not sure if it has a WDH, but I have the Tow Package and the Max Tow package so I have sway control at least. I have to agree with Kingofwylietx that she may get used to 34' with 3 slide outs and nothing else will compare. I've tried talking her into getting one of those really big multi-room tents with a cot and stuff but she's not going for it. The other option is a 37' RV but it's literally 5X the price per day. I'm probably going to go ahead and get the giant trailer and hope for the best. It'll be an adventure! If the rear is sitting too low once it's hooked up I'll call it off.

Seriously - how hard can this be? People do it all the time.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:14 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by xzsbkn
Not sure if it has a WDH, but I have the Tow Package and the Max Tow package so I have sway control at least. I have to agree with Kingofwylietx that she may get used to 34' with 3 slide outs and nothing else will compare. I've tried talking her into getting one of those really big multi-room tents with a cot and stuff but she's not going for it. The other option is a 37' RV but it's literally 5X the price per day. I'm probably going to go ahead and get the giant trailer and hope for the best. It'll be an adventure! If the rear is sitting too low once it's hooked up I'll call it off.

Don't say that. You could be a statistic, and you won't be around to read about it. Seriously though, if you go for a 20-25 foot trailer, the F-150 will do just fine, and your knuckles will remain flesh colored.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:39 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts

Old 06-11-2019, 09:13 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts

So you acknowledged you have no formal TT towing experience and ask for guidance. Guidance and suggestions are given and ultimately you blow the fellow members off. This sounds like a recipe for disaster! Let me further guess you are also trying to tow this with a short bed 145" wheelbase truck? Max tow isn't a blanket statement and the majority of these trucks are rated to tow far less than you imagine, either due to frontal area or payload restrictions.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:05 AM
Theboneskes
Laughing Gas
Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts
So you have no, or very little towing experience... And your gonna tow a trailer that big, WITHOUT a WDH? You have to be crazy! Let alone not having a WDH, your counting on the trucks sway control too? That's a GREAT idea, you should probably pull it in the 75 MPH range too. If your dumb enough to do it without the proper equipment, go out in style!!

Old 06-12-2019, 02:00 AM
WA_PSD
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Towing a 34’ TT with your truck will suck and be dangerous, especially if the wind kicks up. It’s going to be like a huge sail wagging the dog behind you. Going down the freeway at 45 mph with your flashers on in the slow lane arguing with your wife about not wanting to do this in a tent won’t be fun.

i tow a 21’ (25’ total) 6k wet TT with my truck, perfect setup for an F-150. I have a wdh that had the time taken to precisely set it up and completely level my pairing. My Wife and I are safe and so is everyone around us.

I wouldn’t do it brother...

Old 06-12-2019, 07:48 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Another vote "no". You will be outside of the comfort and allowable safety margin for a 1/2 ton.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:11 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vote NO the Max trailer for your truck should be 21ft-25ft max and Defiantly a WDH Matching your Truck to Trailer you cant just pull any Trailer Plus bring your truck with the trailer with all of your gear to the Scales that will tell you what you can haul

Old 06-12-2019, 09:14 PM
7591250sd
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
A new big TT puller, and a rental, unless you take time to learn a while lot more, ( like setup hitch, balance weight, learn to backup, towing mirrors, roadside tools ) go with a tent..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing Travel Trailer (Rented)