Cruise Control WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 03:13 PM
motopsyko32
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control WTF!

2000 Ford Ex Gas, V8, 2WD

Cruising along happily at 60mph with Cruise Control. Go over some small road cracks in contruction zone.

Here a very faint thump and cruise control turned off.

Will not turn back on. Not even the dash light for "cruise" comes on.

Checked Fuse 6 and 13 which are for speed control and brake light/switch, all are fine...

WTF

Old 09-03-2011, 03:39 PM
motopsyko32
Senior User
I went through this below and it all indicated no issues:

Enter the Self-Test Diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. FIVE ADDITIONAL FLASHES AT THIS POINT INDICATE A DEFECTIVE SPEED CONTROL SERVO. Release the OFF switch.
Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.
If the "ON" switch is not depressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostic mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.
The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
NOTE: There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and the lamp flashes.

A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.
If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:

Flashes Source
2 Flashes BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped) is defective
3 Flashes Deactivator switch is open or circuit defective
4 Flashes Vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective

Old 09-04-2011, 09:34 AM
motopsyko32
Senior User
anyone????

Old 09-04-2011, 12:40 PM
DragOne
Freshman User
I am learning here. I have my abs light on and the cruise control switch does not work either. good luck on the fix so that I may be able to solve my issue as well.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:49 PM
motopsyko32
Senior User
So again i tried to set it today. It caught for a brief second then it went off never to come back again.I found out what the faint thump was though, it was the gas pedal being released. Still no fix though...

Old 09-08-2011, 11:08 AM
willieyp
Freshman User
There is a non-serviceable pressure switch on the brake cylinder that turns off the cruise control when you hit the brake. It automatically pops a fuseable link if it gets brake fluid on it. The switch has been tied to causing fires when brake fluid leaks. When the fused link pops, it needs to be replaced. Its free, there has been a recall of it for some time.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:41 AM
hardRESET
Why yes, it is that big..

Question Floating this thread back to the top...

I purchased my EX in May 2011. After I test drove it, the owner was telling me the things wrong with it. One was the overhead console trip computer which I used this thread and got it fixed. The second issue was the cruise control and he stated that it was intermittent. He already had taken it into a shop; don't know where, to have it fixed. They of course went for the obvious, which matched the recommendations here in the forum. They changed the clock spring and both sets of buttons on the steering wheel. You can tell that this was actually done because the steering wheel is actually about two ticks off from being centered and he had the old parts in a box that I received when I purchased the truck. Now on several occasions, while trying to get the cc to work since it was stated as intermittent, I found that if you press between the top of on, off and coast that the horn would go off. This is a nice little feature, so just in case I cannot hit the big ol' center of the wheel on the air bag, I can press right in the middle of those 3 buttons in an emergency! The only thing that I had determined since I purchased the EX was the term intermittent meant that it DID NOT WORK AT ALL! Anyways I took the EX to Mike Shad Ford here in Jacksonville, Florida, I have a buddy that works there in the Service Sales Department, and they supposedly checked it out and could not find where the actual issue was. The only thing that they said was that the signal was not reaching the PCM? And if I remember correctly the replacement of that PCM was very pricey. I understand that a PCM is a computer of sorts for the truck, and I work in the field of computers so I said can you just flash it, kind of referring to formatting and reinstalling the OS on a computer, and I was told no that it would have to be replaced. So replacement was not an option at the time and I came back to you guys and found another thread about checking fuses and putting the cc in a diagnostics mode so I figured wtf, let's try that. Printed off the thread and headed to the EX. Fuses, CHECK, diagnostics mode, NO JOY! The cc light on the EX has never come on before or after trying to put it in diagnostics mode. I couldn't even tell you where it may light up on the dash. The only other thread that I found was about the chaffing of the harness, which may explain the intermittent word that came out of the owners mouth, because maybe it has gone all the way through? But my question there would be if it had chaffed all the way through, wouldn't there be other issues that would be caused by such a thing? Also there was mention of the recall for the brake switch, if that had been swapped out on my EX would that be on the Oasis report?

So, Xmen, can someone be of more help? If I have to take it back to the dealer because I cannot do a home repair on it, at least I would like a list of items to suggest to them, i.e.: chaffed harness, so they could check all of them at the $80.00 per hour to investigate.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:49 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like it is the brake pressure switch (for turning off the cruise) mine stopped working on my way back from MI. when I got home I unplugged the switch and there was brake fluid in the connector (i had the recall done years ago). on the recall.....they only install a jumper harness with an inline fuse, No Switch!. so if the switch does go bad and leak (like mine did) it will just pop the fuse and not burn the truck down. although my fuse didn`t blow, the switch did leak. I replaced the switch and all is fine again. my neighbors 02 Explorer also had the same problem. a new switch fixed that one too. BTW the switch as far as I know wasn`t covered by the recall, even years after the recall was perfomed. maybe some knows more about that.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:13 PM
hardRESET
Why yes, it is that big..

Question Anyone have details?

Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
Sounds like it is the brake pressure switch (for turning off the cruise) mine stopped working on my way back from MI. when I got home I unplugged the switch and there was brake fluid in the connector (i had the recall done years ago). on the recall.....they only install a jumper harness with an inline fuse, No Switch!. so if the switch does go bad and leak (like mine did) it will just pop the fuse and not burn the truck down. although my fuse didn`t blow, the switch did leak. I replaced the switch and all is fine again. my neighbors 02 Explorer also had the same problem. a new switch fixed that one too. BTW the switch as far as I know wasn`t covered by the recall, even years after the recall was perfomed. maybe some knows more about that.
camper, thanks for the information.

Just out of curiosity does anyone have pictures or the how to for said issue?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:26 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't do nothin mobile. Go into my albums, second page under cruise control you see picture of said switch on brake cylinder and also the main cruise servo. I would check the wiring to the servo and the switch for brake fluid.