1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Dead

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:08 AM
explorer302
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control Dead

2005 F250 Lariat V10 6-Speed 4x4 27k

Here is the story. A few months ago driving from VA to PA I tried to engage the cruise control, but nothing happened. Upon later tries, it would work intermittently, if I would shut the truck on and off a few time, I could get it to work, and it would stay as long as I was driving. After a while it quite all together. I also had the airbag light on, flashing code 32. After searching the forums, I figured clockspring, no problem, I replaced that, and that fixed the airbag but I still have no cruise.

I checked at the plug under the dash, and I get different resistances to ground, when pushing the on/off button, so I believe there is communication down the harness, and the button are functioning properly.

After reading through the forum some more, I have tried the do the diagnotic test outlined for the cruise control (holding the off/on button while going KOEO and looking for flashes) but the cruise light never comes on. I tested the telltails and the light is good.

Without being able to diagnos the control module, I am stuck at the moment. I have not been able to locate it to get a good look at it and am not sure which sensor or swtich to search out first. Any advice or past experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
~Justin

Old 01-03-2010, 01:47 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I'm in a similar boat right now. Cruise died one afternoon for no good reason. Fuses are good, no codes stored, I'll have to search for the diagnostic procedure you reference. Keep us informed of your progress.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:08 PM
explorer302
New User
The diagnostic sequence that I was following is listed below (posted by pops_91710 amoung others) I haven't gotten anything to work out of it yet, hopefully you will have better luck.

Try this test:
Diagnosing/Resetting the Cruise-Control operations:

1. fully engage <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; color: darkgreen;" id="itxt_nobr_15_0">parking</nobr> brake. Make sure brake peddle is released.

2. Begin static portion of self test by pressing and holding speed control off switch.

3. Turn ignition switch from off to run. The cruise indicator on the instrument cluster will flash once to indicate the speed control module has entered diagnostic mode.

If the cruise indicator does not flash repeat steps 1-3. If the cruise indicator still does not flash, diagnose the cruise indicator.

4. Release the off switch

5. The cruise indicator will flash when each switch is pressed. While performing self test. Press each switch in the order described while observing cruise indicator for a flash. Note any switch activations that does not cause a flash.

Within five seconds of turning the ignition switch to RUN:

Press the on switch.
Press the resume switch.
Press the coast switch.
Press the set/accel switch.

6. NOTE: the on switch must be pressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostics mode or the speed control module will return to normal operating state and self-test must be repeated.

Flash Code Function Tested Possible Cause
0 Speed Control Servo Speed Control Servo Defective
1 Complete System
2 Stop Light Switch Circuitry Stop Light Switch Circuitry
3 Brake Deactivation Circuitry Brake pressure control
valve defective circuitry
4 Vehicle speed sensor Vehicle Speed Sensor Out of
range
5 Speed Control Servo Speed Control servo defective

~Justin

Old 01-17-2010, 10:20 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I finally had an opportunity on a warm day to try this and I get two flashes. I assume this means it thinks the brake lights are acting up? Where did you find this procedure?

Old 01-17-2010, 02:03 PM
explorer302
New User
Well, if the test is accurate it would seem that is a stoplight switch issue. I found the test searching around in some of the old post on this site for cruise control problems, trying to find a solution to mine. I am not sure where the original source information came from. A post from pops_91710 is where I got it from I think.

I haven't had much luck with it. I don't get the original flash telling me it has entered diagnosis mode, yet I know the indicator light is good. Hopefully things will turn out better for you.

~Justin

Old 01-17-2010, 02:42 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I'm not sure if the HEC test will work on the 05 cluster, but it might be worth a shot. Hold the trip button down and turn the key on. I believe it will start off by lighting all of the lamps and sweeping the gauges. Then it will show a bunch of other info in the odo spot and finally get to DTC.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:01 PM
explorer302
New User
Thanks for the info. That test does work with and 05 cluster, that is how I diagnosed that the cruise indicator bulb is functioning. I don't remember getting and DTC codes, but I will have to try again to double check.

~Justin

Old 01-17-2010, 05:12 PM
fredsheffield
Junior User
I used to find liquids spilled in the switches, before you get really into tearing into it, use a good electronic cleaner. Then proceed with diagnosis using that chart posted above.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:34 PM
xd2200
Mountain Pass
My guess is brake light switch on master cylinder. Many past doscussions on this type of problem. Switch is inexpensive and easy to replace.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:13 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I replaced my brake pedal switch tonight and now it flashes three times. Tomorrow I'll pick up a M/C switch.

IS there an easy procedure, such as unbolt old one, screw new one in and don't let the res. empty out? or will it require bleeding the m/c, abs module and brake lines?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:43 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
These trucks have a bad history of the wire harness from the steering wheel and column which over the years tends to chaff the harness due to the extended wear at the tilt column swivel. It may chaff one wire or many and short out different areas of the dash, lights, speed control, gauges, and so forth.
The wear on the wire can be very, very small, we are talking pin hole size that is difficult at best to locate. This can also result in intermediant failures from time to time, depending as to whether the wires are touching at one point or pulled apart at another time due to the position of the tilt wheel.
Good Luck

Old 11-12-2018, 11:08 AM
stbird
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did the test. I got a cruise flash when I pushed the "on" button but not for "resume", "set", or "coast". What does that mean? When are you supposed to get the flash code function number? Is the number, listed the number of flashes after you have completed the test?

Thanks, Steve