1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 11:31 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Bumper looks great on there Joe! and you already got it primered, Dang. All I did today was put together lego's and pay bills... lol

edit;
Joe. I wonder if you may want to move that license plate bracket over towards the middle?? looks like it may block your running light there?? Seems like my F6 license plate bracket is closer to center. gonna have to go look now?

Now I'm going to have to compare the COE bumper to the regular truck bumpers. I thought they were the same but guess I never looked that close.
Speaking of bumpers I would like to find one for my 53 C600 it's about 2 inches taller than the one on Jolly Roger Joe's truck. it's been bent up, straightened and re-welded a few times.

Guess I can find a tree and try to straighten it out a little!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jmadsen
Bumper looks great on there Joe! and you already got it primered, Dang. All I did today was put together lego's and pay bills... lol

edit;
Joe. I wonder if you may want to move that license plate bracket over towards the middle?? looks like it may block your running light there?? Seems like my F6 license plate bracket is closer to center. gonna have to go look now?
I've been thinking about that too, since I had planned to modify the parking lights to use as turn signals. But when I fitted the bumper on the frame, I saw two holes in the frame top which are not used to attach the bumper, so now I'm thinking about some round lights there for signals. Anyone know of a source for that style of lights? Like the ones Ford mounted on top of the fenders?

Old 12-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
I've been thinking about that too, since I had planned to modify the parking lights to use as turn signals. But when I fitted the bumper on the frame, I saw two holes in the frame top which are not used to attach the bumper, so now I'm thinking about some round lights there for signals. Anyone know of a source for that style of lights? Like the ones Ford mounted on top of the fenders?
I've seen some motorcycle ones used on Hot Rods also have seen the ones from a agricultures round amber 12 volt light housing from Napa used with amber lenses...

Old 12-29-2011, 12:17 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
I'd like to use lights like Joe (harleymsn) has on his 50 F5 stake truck. I sent him a PM to find out where he got them.

I can look at pics of his truck for hours. Man that's a beautiful bed!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:44 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There are several available. A quick search on Amazon resulted in these: Amazon.com: Peterson Manufacturing Pedestal Turn Signal - 4 1/8in. Double-Face (Red/Amber) Round, Model# V313-2RA: Home Improvement. Scroll down in the listing to see others.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
There are several available. A quick search on Amazon resulted in these: Amazon.com: Peterson Manufacturing Pedestal Turn Signal - 4 1/8in. Double-Face (Red/Amber) Round, Model# V313-2RA: Home Improvement. Scroll down in the listing to see others.

Thanks, I just got the same info from harleymsn and ordered a set.

This is why I love FTE. Ask a question and get multiple good answers. You guys are the best!

Old 12-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
So let me start the bumper thing over, since I moved the pictures and messed up the links.

Here's Betsy with the new bumper in position for a pic.

And after sanding and primer:

And after paint:

I think it's amazing how much better a bumper makes the truck look. You may remember it came to me with a 70's Ch$%y bumper.

Anyone interested in this Ch$%y bumper, I'll make you a great deal...

Old 12-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice Joe! I can see an 8' express bed on it with widened rear fenders! Thats just me though. Are you gonna flatbed it?

edit: Nicolle would have my butt! If she found a towel painted like that! LMAO...

Old 12-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Nice Joe! I can see an 8' express bed on it with widened rear fenders! That's just me though. Are you gonna flatbed it?
Thanks Jeff. Yes, it's getting a stakebed, although I have considered the express bed with fatter fenders. I think that looks very cool. I saw a pic on here of a "fire truck" on an F4 or F5 that is totally cool.

But I have been offered a stakebed free, and I'm on a limited budget, so that's the direction I'm headed now. I'd really rather copy harleymsn with his beautiful wood bed, but that, too, is over my current budget.

Lots more to do getting it ready before the bed. I'm going to replace all the wiring.

Tonight, after I installed the bumper, I was rewiring the dome lamp, since my honey got me the gasket and bulb for Christmas. When I got the truck, the ammeter was "jumpy". I finally discovered the BARE wires in the dome lamp (no bulb) were shorting out whenever the doors were open. Now that's one way to check continuity to the dome lamp from the door switches, but I don't recommend it.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Joe that's really coming along nice. A dome light? Wow, your truck has all the luxuries.....

BTW my total investment in the bed and sides for Edith is under $1,000.00 if you have some woodworking ability and a planer it can be done pretty cheap. Since you already have the flatbed frame, that eliminates about $500 of my cost.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Got ya on the budget, I am on the same budget. I replied to your request, hope I did that correctly! I have read many of your posts, but I try not to comment much unless I can contribute in a positive manner. Or crack a smile out of somebody...
Happy Holidays!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Joe that's really coming along nice. A dome light? Wow, your truck has all the luxuries.....

BTW my total investment in the bed and sides for Edith is under $1,000.00 if you have some woodworking ability and a planer it can be done pretty cheap. Since you already have the flatbed frame, that eliminates about $500 of my cost.
Yes, this truck has had the doors replaced at some point. Every other part of it is a 5 Star Extra, but the doors are not... no armrests or shiny metal strips between the window and vent. It has the dome light with courtesy switches, the locking glove box, the shiny metal windshield frame, the (holes for) twin sun visors, the extra shiny metal hood trim pieces, etc...

I will be making the stakes for my bed, and redoing all the wood in the "free" bed. So I figured $1000 to refurb it, make the stakes and have it powdercoated.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll make you a great deal on a pare of bare Deluxe door shells still with all the brackets. I have all of the Deluxe trim panels too.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:12 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Man I had forgotten how ugly the Ch**y bumper was.
You are moving along very well.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:48 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow Joe your truck is looking sharp.
I like the bumper treatment.

I also need a bumper for my COE.

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project