Intake swap issues - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Intake swap issues

Old 08-10-2011, 08:57 PM
New User

LowDownF100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Intake swap issues

Im swapping the intake manifold on my 1968 360 and I cannot get the distributor out of the block. This is the only thing holding me up at this point and if anyone has some advise on this or the intake swap I could use the help.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Shiftoholic

Freightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud of
Sounds like the lower portion of the distributor got gummed up and stuck in the block. Kinda typical for it after all these years of never moving.

I've never had to deal with it personally, but you might be able to work on it if you raise the intake up and move it back some. The intake is about 90# so it's not easy to work with. If you can move it enough to look down, you might be able to squirt some penetrant(WD or PB Blaster) and see if that loosens it up. Work carefully as you can break the top of the distributor off pretty easy(just cast aluminum). If you do, it's easily enough to replace.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Posting Guru

CougarJohn has a good reputation on FTE.CougarJohn has a good reputation on FTE.CougarJohn has a good reputation on FTE.
A common problem.
Do you have a small hand-held propane torch? Squirt some 3-in-1 oil around the seat, heat, let soak, repeat, and try again. Differential heat between the distributor casing and the colder block will cause expansion above and may do the trick. But be careful and patient. As the guy above suggested, cast aluminum is brittle.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:46 PM
New User

LowDownF100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you guys I will give it another go this weekend. CougerJohn I dont have a propane torch but I do have standard oxy-acetelene torches, Ill try using one with a small tip so as to focus the heat. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Postmaster

MIKES 68 F100 has a good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a good reputation on FTE.
just use the acytlene with just a little oxygen this will keep the heat down .

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >