1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1984 F100 Heater Core Swap (right hand drive truck)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Flashgordon_nz
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 F100 Heater Core Swap (right hand drive truck)

Gidday From New Zealand!

Ive got a leaking heater core in my pick-up.
I assume it would be a similar job to changing it on a left hook, but thought i would come to the boards, and ask the question, before it take tools to the task - whats the "ins and outs" of changing it, or at least getting it out?
Any tips, tricks? does the dash have to come completely out, or can be done from partial dis-assembly?
It does have air-con in it.
And has anyone done one in a r/h drive before?

all helpful input appreciated!

Old 07-31-2011, 12:58 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
If you have air conditioning, it's a relatively painless process that I understand can be accomplished in about half an hour.

You access the heater core from a small bolt-on door under the dash, behind the glove compartment.

If you don't have air conditioning, this is a much longer ordeal....

Rather than type it all out, here is a good thread on the subject:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ater-core.html

Old 07-31-2011, 04:12 AM
Flashgordon_nz
Freshman User
bingo.. thanks.. i did use the search function to search the model thread on heater core... i looked at about the first 17, and decided to start my own!!! LOL.... Thanks thou.. i will read it in depth, and see if its the same as r/h drive!!

Old 07-31-2011, 06:14 AM
xb2dr
New User
Hi,

I have a '84 that I have just registered after 14 months rebuilding. I had the truck totally apart and pulled the heater box apart along with everything else to inspect, clean and rebuild. The heater core in my truck was rotten and the previous owner had just bypassed it. I was unsure of where I was going to find a replacement.. As you would be aware, there are a few things on these trucks that are common to XD,XE, XF Falcons. I did some research and found that the heater core is the same as XD Falcon. My local radiator shop got me a brand new one for about $120. I just tried looking for the receipt in my folder but cant find it to be exactly sure of the price. Good news though is that you can get them.. They are on aussie ebay sometimes too. Also, if yours is broken (they tend to get kicked by the passenger), the vacuum switch for the heater valve that mounts on the heater box and is actuated by the hot/cold slider cable is exactly the same as XD Falcon. Next time you are at the wreckers take a phillips head screw driver and grab a couple of spares from a XD.. As for changing the heater core, you need to undo the nuts on the engine side of the firewall to get the heater box off. I'm not sure if you can get it out leaving the dash in place because I had all my dash out before I removed the heater box.. It's not hard, just a bit of mucking around.. I dont think reading any threads about LHD trucks will help... I think the heater core on these are in a box that mounts on the engine side of the firewall (but I might be wrong?) ... Let me know if I can help more... Cheers, Brett in Australia.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:24 AM
Flashgordon_nz
Freshman User
hi brett, and welcome to to the website. i have been a member here since buying my pick-up. Its a factory aussie assembled, with the navstar running gear shoe-horned in. Time to chuck up some pictures of yours!!! What do you have running in it?
Yeah, i dropped into my mates ford dealership last week and had a play on their microcat parts program, and found the XD part number present for the heater core.
Thanks for the info, i do have to over-haul my heating system - there only thing that worked on it is the flow direction!! Heater always blew hot (do they run a conventional heater tap?). I have also put a 13psi cap on it, as opposed to the 16psi it way running, and now the temp sits considerably lower.
There are a couple of kiwis and aussies floating around on this site.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:14 AM
xb2dr
New User
The heater valve is vacuum operated and is vacuum to close. There should be a little plastic tank mounted on top of the heater box just above where the white switch (the one that gets kicked!). Vacuum is plumbed from the intake manifold to the tank via a check valve and then plumbed to the heater valve via the switch.. When the hot/cold slider is fully cold the switch is pressed by the lever on the heater box and the heater valve has vacuum on it and remains closed... I bought a heater valve for a EA Falcon from Supercheap and it works fine. Only thing is that the pipe size on the EA valve is bigger than 5/8" and you have to really push the heater hose onto it.. (you said that you have navistar running gear? I guess that means a Diesel engine? Do they have a vacuum pump for the brake booster?? You will have to plumb the vacuum from there if that's the case)

My truck is a '84 SWB 4x4. Numbers matching 351 Cleveland (last year before the fuel injected Windsors), D44, NP435, NP208 and 3.5 LSD 9". Was pretty rough when I got it.. I have spent a lot of time in the shed this last year. I did all the work myself. Only things I couldn't do was the sandblasting, reskin the dash top (got dashboard doctor to do that) and make the canvas seat cover for the bench.. Other than that all my work.. First time painting metallic and am very happy how it turned out. Here's some pics. Will post some more later if you like?

Cheers, Brett.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:26 AM
Flashgordon_nz
Freshman User
mate... awesome job!! well done!!!

yes, navstar =-6.9 v8 diesel. I will investigate more in the heaterbox next weekend! I assume the yellow beast is your namesake on here?? Very nice machines... a mate has a low km original 2 door fairmont.
Have a look at my profile, mine is a daily driver, c6 auto, 8 3/4 rear diff, with a 3.55 lsd. looking for a lwb bed for it, but may yet make an "era" flatdeck for it. awesome machines

Old 07-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
xb2dr i am curious as to how you "fixed" the rot?

Old 07-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Ken Blythen
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Flashgordon_nz
looking for a lwb bed for it, but may yet make an "era" flatdeck for it.
What's your timeframe for the bed, Glenn?

I'm going to replace mine with a flatdeck that's better suited for my work - (good condition apart from a lot of scuffing & a few dents inside - virtually zero rust & the exterior is excellent) but probably not for 8-9 months, if that's any help to you.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:20 AM
xb2dr
New User
Hey Brad, I feel like I am hi jacking this thread... I'll post a new one up titled "Rust repair (for Diesel_Brad)" Cheers, Brett.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:40 AM
xb2dr
New User
Yeah, the yellow one in the background is my '74 XB Hardtop... There's also a '77 Trans Am in the collection but I shouldn't talk about that on a Ford forum... Cheers, Brett.