Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Exhaust problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Rocketattack
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust problem

Today after changing my fuel filter I started the truck and revved it a couple of times. I noticed black smoke coming from underneath the truck. I had my stepson throttle the truck has I looked underneath. What I seen was black smoke coming from the joint at the extension pipe and the welded pipe to the muffler. I guess it is time to get a new exhaust and rebuild my turbo. The hanger brackets have rusted through and the muffler looks like it's ready to blow a hole in it. I want to use the replacement 3" turbo outlet and uncrushed down pipe but I don't know where or who to talk to about getting these parts. Can someone point me in the right direction? I need to replace from the turbo to the tail pipe.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:24 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
You can use just any turbo back system for a '94-'97 PSD. You will need to do some modifying to the PSD downpipe to make it work with our turbos. Here is how to do that: How to use a PSD Downpipe on your IDI factory turbo - Oilburners.net

As far as the 3in exhaust housing for the turbo goes i am pretty sure that ATS no longer makes it so i think you will have to troll e-bay for it or go with out..

Why do you say the turbo needs to be rebuilt? age??

Old 07-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Rocketattack
Senior User
When looking into the compressor side you can see where the compressor blades have hit the bottom of the housing. There are a few nicks on the edges of the blades and you can wiggle the shaft up and down.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
not good my friend... i would get a rebuild kit for your turbo asap before it turns into a grenade, and the shrapnel ends up in the motor

Old 07-23-2011, 08:39 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Rocketattack
When looking into the compressor side you can see where the compressor blades have hit the bottom of the housing. There are a few nicks on the edges of the blades and you can wiggle the shaft up and down.
Ah gotch ya. definately get that rebuilt ASAP.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Rocketattack
Senior User
Well after looking into the cost of a completely new exhaust system. I can't not see spending the money when my exhaust is not rotted out except for the hangers. The band that goes around the muffler and the metal bracket that is on the front of the pipe that replaces the catalytic converter has broken. Mind you this is still the factory exhaust. The muffler has FORD stamped on it and the rubber/metal hangers are still what the dealership manuals show. There is no leaks except for where the hangers have broken and made a flex joint out of the flange joints. Just need to replace the gaskets for now. Once I rebuild the turbo and figure out where to get a larger exhaust housing I will then look into a 3" or 4" turbo back system.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:08 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Rocketattack
Well after looking into the cost of a completely new exhaust system. I can't not see spending the money when my exhaust is not rotted out except for the hangers. The band that goes around the muffler and the metal bracket that is on the front of the pipe that replaces the catalytic converter has broken. Mind you this is still the factory exhaust. The muffler has FORD stamped on it and the rubber/metal hangers are still what the dealership manuals show. There is no leaks except for where the hangers have broken and made a flex joint out of the flange joints. Just need to replace the gaskets for now. Once I rebuild the turbo and figure out where to get a larger exhaust housing I will then look into a 3" or 4" turbo back system.
I understand what you are saying.

I am really thinking about upgrading my exhaust to a 4 inch system b/c i figure with the amount of miles that i will be driving to college and work i can off set the cost of the system with fuel savings.

This is the system i am looking at. i think it is an excelent deal for a complete 4 inch SS turbo back.
1994-1997 FORD 7.3L POWER STROKE DIESEL 4 INCH EXHAUST | eBay

Old 07-26-2011, 12:32 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you still have the original muffler, your truck will really like you to replace it (you will really like your truck too)

Old 07-26-2011, 03:29 AM
Wreckmaster
Freshman User
I'm gonna try something.... going 6" straight for the last 5' of pipe. I figured it'll sound, um, interesting, or like complete crap and I'll change it out. I'll have to buy a 90* bend, 4 band clamps, and hangars, but the pipe has just been laying around. May as well try it.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:18 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, 6" pipe? I have not heard of anybody going above 5"....That is Youtube worthy, please upload a video and post it on here.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Wreckmaster
Freshman User
I'll give it a shot... it is actually a section from a Peterbilt. We had to shorten the stacks on it to keep em outta the tree branches etc... I just so happened to hang on to them for some reason.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
....that is awesome. I bet Kenpo would love to see what that would do for fab work, as would I being a sheet metal insulator...fabricating is a gold mine im tellin ya....

Old 07-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Wreckmaster
Freshman User
I hear ya. I'm still in the process of converting the truck to diesel, and its getting close to being done. Still gotta swap fuel tanks, plumb it, and do the exhaust. You do realize they make exhaust pipe up to 12" right? That's for the guys who like the steamship look...

Old 07-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Rocketattack
Senior User
And NAPA comes thru again. They had the correct exhaust gasket that was used from the factory. It seems whoever put this joint together at the factory used the same gasket at both ends of the pipe that replaced the catalytic converter.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:32 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What catalytic converter are you talking about, are you using gasser exhaust.

Quick Reply: Exhaust problem