1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck
View Poll Results: What is your favorite wheel or wheel cover?
White Factory 8 slot "Wagon Wheel"
17.65%
10 hole polished forged aluminum
35.29%
Sport wheel cover - polished aluminum type
0%
Sport Wheel Cover - with fake lugs and center cap type
8.82%
5 slot brushed aluminum
26.47%
Standard white wheel with no cover or cap
2.94%
Standard Black wheel with no cover or cap
5.88%
Standard Dog Dish Hubcap with 6 fake painted slots F-250/F-350
2.94%
Standard Dog Dish Hubcap with "Ford Motor Company" Script F-100/F-150
0%
Standard Dog dish hubcap with 5 fake painted slots. F-150
0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Wheel and Wheel Cover Options Poll.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:13 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Wheel and Wheel Cover Options Poll.

Here is another poll that was asked about Factory wheel and wheel cover options.

I tried to cover them all, small pun intended, but only 10 options are allowed, so I picked the most comon.

Reference the following picture:

Option 1: White Factory 8 slot "Wagon Wheel"
Option 2: 10 hole polished forged aluminum.
Option 3: Sport Wheel Cover: Brushed aluminum type
Option 4: Sport Wheel Cover: with fake lugs and center cap
Option 5: 5 slot brushed forged aluminum
Option 6: Standard White Wheel without covers or caps
Option 7: Standard Black Wheel without covers or caps
Option 8: Dog dish hub cap for F-250 or F-350 with 6 fake painted slots.
Option 9: Standard dog dish hub cap with "Ford Motor Company" Script F-100/F-150.
Option 10: Standard Dog Dish Hub cap with 5 fake painted slots F-150.

Then pick the one you like best.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Hmmm, let's see....... ALUMINUM! Fake lugs? Plain wheels regardless of colour? Ugh!

I have a set of the wagon wheels in 8x15 and they look pretty good. In fact, that's what's on Dad's '81. But, my Explorer "lit up" when I put the aluminum wheels on it - obviously after they were polished and coated.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:44 PM
ebodell
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked option #8. I like the simple looks of the dog dish hubcaps. Mine has the option #4 cover on it. I could not believe how much sport (or turbine style, #4) reproduction covers of this type cost.

Edit
I do enjoy reading the spirited debate these polls seem to create.

Last edited by ebodell; 07-07-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: add a line of text
Old 07-07-2011, 08:52 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ebodell
I picked option #8. I like the simple looks of the dog dish hubcaps. Mine has the option #4 cover on it. I could not believe how much sport (or turbine style, #4) reproduction covers of this type cost.

Edit
I do enjoy reading the spirited debate these polls seem to create.
I hear you there...

A Reconditioned #4 above cost my tire shop over $100 when they destroyed one by accident.

I also enjoy reading others comments and seeing what the concensus is on the forum.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems we missed these, These are called styled steel sport wheels w/trim ring I think... not sure. They are stock for my 86.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:12 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Archion
It seems we missed these, These are called styled steel sport wheels w/trim ring I think... not sure. They are stock for my 86.
Yes, there are a few I missed because there was not enough room on the poll for them. The poll would only alow 10 options.

Another one I missed is the standard argent wheel.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
I hear you there...

A Reconditioned #4 above cost my tire shop over $100 when they destroyed one by accident.

I also enjoy reading others comments and seeing what the concensus is on the forum.
I have two sets of the #4 covers. I wonder how to "recondition" them?

As for the comments, I agree as long as everyone is respectful of others. One of the recent polls got a bit too spirited. It seemed to be there was a hidden agenda and that wasn't appreciated by those voting, which then caused........

Old 07-07-2011, 09:30 PM
ebodell
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I have two sets of the #4 covers. I wonder how to "recondition" them?

As for the comments, I agree as long as everyone is respectful of others. One of the recent polls got a bit too spirited. It seemed to be there was a hidden agenda and that wasn't appreciated by those voting, which then caused........

You do have a point about being respectful of others. We are not debating politics or religion, just the myriad of options on 25 year old trucks.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Archion
Those are actually called "Deluxe Argent styled steel wheels" and were the best you could get in 1986. Those wheels ran from 1982 - 1991. Those are my personal favorite Ford wheels of all, but for the purpose of this poll, my vote goes to Option 1: White Factory 8 slot "Wagon Wheel"

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ding-poll.html

Let me get this straight: 81-F-150-Explorer put together a more comprehensive poll than I did simply because he is much more knowledgeable about these trucks than I am, so now you think I had a "hidden agenda?"

If you go back and re-read everything that I posted there, you will see that THERE WAS NO HIDDEN AGENDA! I started a simple poll that immediately got attacked because I didn't post every trim moulding available in every possible combination for the 1980 - 1986 years. Like 81-F-150-Explorer said earlier, this poll doesn't show EVERY wheel offered. Does that mean he has a "hidden agenda" too?

If you would actually take the time to go through a 1985 or 1986 Ford sales brochure (my truck is a 1985 model, and I am much more familiar with those years than I am the 1980 - 1984 models) instead of jumping to conclusions, you will see that the two styles I pictured in that poll were the only two side trim mouldings available for those years! Is that really so hard to understand? What makes you think there was some "hidden" agenda?

And I don't think it is very *respectful* to unfairly accuse me of having an "agenda" in the middle of another person's poll, Gary.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
If you go back and re-read everything that I posted there, you will see that THERE WAS NO HIDDEN AGENDA! How many times can I say that? I started a simple poll that immediately got attacked because I didn't post every trim moulding available in every possible combination.

If you would actually take the time to go through a 1985 or 1986 Ford sales brochure (my truck is a 1985 model, and I am much more familiar with those years than I am the 1980 - 1984 models) instead of jumping to conclusions, you will see that the two styles I pictured in that poll were the only two side trim mouldings available for those years! Is that really so hard to understand? What makes you think there was some "hidden" agenda?

In the back and forth you said "All the options I wanted for this poll are right there along with the pictures". But the title of the poll was "Which Bullnose Trim Moulding Do YOU Like Better?" Wouldn't that suggest that all options for all 7 years should be considered? The fact that you said all the options you want implies you had a reason for doing it that way. Seemed like an agenda to several of us judging by the comments.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
In the back and forth you said "All the options I wanted for this poll are right there along with the pictures".
That's right, Chief. As far as I knew THEN, before 81-F-150-Explorer's poll came out, those were the only two options I knew of that existed. Sure, I knew some of the earlier trucks used a top piece as well, but I THOUGHT that was for tu-tone trucks only. If you notice I didn't post a picture of a tu-tone truck because I didn't want to unfairly split up the votes, even though I never even liked the lower moulding.

But the title of the poll was "Which Bullnose Trim Moulding Do YOU Like Better?" Wouldn't that suggest that all options for all 7 years should be considered?
I guess that *could* suggest that, or it *could* suggest what I was thinking when I started the poll. Once again, I THOUGHT the two choices I listed were the only two options offered from 1982 - 1986. The subtle differences in the lower moulding are so small that most people wouldn't even notice. I sure didn't. I mean really...For the lower style, Ford offered a version that didn't have a vinyl insert, and another that had the vinyl thicker than the later version, and still another added a top trim piece as well. But did that really change the overall *look* of the lower moulding style?

No, I don't think *all* years have to considered for a poll. This poll we are in right now is leaving out a few years as well. If you looked at what I posted above, I stated which wheels I liked the best, even though they are Bullnose wheels that were not pictured as an option. BUT, out of respect for 81-F-150-Explorer and his poll, I voted for the one I liked best out of the options in his poll. Is that too much to ask of someone? Is that really so hard to understand?

The fact that you said all the options you want implies you had a reason for doing it that way. Seemed like an agenda to several of us judging by the comments.
You are taking what I said out of context, Gary. I said that comment to shut Rogue_Wulff up. In every poll I have ever seen in this forum, (including one I made just a few months ago on Woodgrain trim) except for the two most recent ones from 81-F-150-Explorer, he has found some reason to complain about what the poll is asking and announce to everyone that he "refuses to vote." Once again, if you go back and read the earlier comments in that thread, you will see that I got a few comments right at the beginning from people who didn't vote but rather complained that there was no option for "No Moulding." The question I asked was "Which Bullnose TRIM MOULDING Do You Like Best." The emphasis was on TRIM MOULDING. I am well aware that some people do not like moulding of any kind. What I had hoped was for the people who didn't like trim moulding was to pick the moulding that looked better than the other.

Do you not understand that?

And I apologize for the comments, 81-F-150-Explorer. It seems that Gary Lewis decided it was necessary to accuse me of having an "agenda" in my earlier poll in the middle of your poll.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I went for option 1, as it is the one I like best of the *available* options. It's actually second place to the argent wheels that are similar. I know room was limited, and not all the options could possibly fit, but at least you tried to cover as many as possible.
However, my truck, and dad's truck, both *originally* had the style in option 3.

The alloy wheels that came out later, as seen in Gary's avatar pic, are my personal favorite, as far as a factory wheel.

L85, I'm just gonna pretend I didn't see the above comments, so as to not cloud up this poll any further.
It's not *every* poll that gets me riled up, just the ones that ask for "your" opinion, but has very limited choices to pick from.
And just who seems to be the one that starts those kind, chief? (tongue-in-cheek) LOL.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
All I am asking for is a little respect for others. Shutting people up because they don't agree with you is a lack of respect. Calling people "Chief" sarcastically is a lack of respect. Bold text is usually considered yelling, which isn't respectful.

This site is a huge help to people, myself included. But having to wade thru the rhetoric to find the information can make things difficult. There are many extremely knowledgable people on here, yourself included, but having them hurling words at each other helps no one.

On a lighter note, I had visions of Aretha dancing in a diner when I typed that opening line. Anyway, I've said my piece and am retiring for the night. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:09 AM
Greyf100
Elder User
mine came with option 3, I currently have argent, med height dog dishes, I wish i could find a set of polished slots, but would settle for the "turbine" covers for now. How many of these wheels are available with the 80-82 5 on 4.5" BP? :-)

Old 07-08-2011, 05:38 AM
Old Hickory
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I like option #5, thats what came on my 1981 F100.

Quick Reply: Wheel and Wheel Cover Options Poll.