6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Throttle Response

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:34 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Strokt350d
Have you been having any of the "shifting bugs" people have described here on this forum? If so, did it seem like the tune ironed them out? I know this question was asked a time or two already. Just wondering. I have one little buggy in 3rd gear where it seems like it shifts but doesn't. You can see the rpm's fall back abit, them come back up, and finally shift into 4th. Weird. Seems like its "slipping" so to speak, which I HATE. Wide open is fine. A time or two, I have experienced abrupt downshifts, but that seems to be when it is cold for some reason.
I didn't really have any problems with my truck. But with the performance tune the shifts are very smooth, going up and down. You can't even tell the transmission changes gears until you hear the rpm's go up. I like the idea now while doing 25 mph I am not in 5th gear, and when I hit the gas the truck just goes instead of bogging down then taking off.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Super08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loaded up the 87 tow/performance tune this morning and took it out for a little drive.
A little early to give an evaluation, but so far when I was out for a drive all you could see was.....

I think my mileage may suffer because of the sudden change in my driving habits.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:46 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Yes, MPG will go down. It's hard to stay off the gas pedal when it reacts so well. I put the 87 performance tune on and I think the transmission is done learning. My MPG are starting to get a little better. Not shifting into 6th I think make a big difference, now when you hit the gas you don't have to wait for the truck to downshift then take off. It just goes, and goes fast. I did have 2nd up to 60 mph at about 5800 RPM then took 3rd to 90, then I got yelled at by my wife we were going to fast.

The throttle response is awesome with these tunes too. I have not tried the economy one yet but will latter, after I'm done having fun with this one.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Super08
Posting Guru
Been driving around most of the day. Gotta give it two thumbs up. Thanks Mike.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:58 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Super08
Been driving around most of the day. Gotta give it two thumbs up. Thanks Mike.
Thank you Super 08, Let us know when you towing the 5ver again

Old 07-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Super08
Posting Guru
Be going out with it next Monday and again the following Wednsday.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:24 AM
mjlaupp
Junior User
Another option is SprintBooster if you are only looking for throttle response changes. Plug and play installation.
SprintBooster Power Converter - www.SprintBoosterSales.com
FAQ: http://www.sprintboosterusa.com/t-faq.aspx
Don't have or need one on my '04 V10.

Last edited by mjlaupp; 07-17-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Add FAQ
Old 07-19-2011, 11:11 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
I was sitting in the garage waiting for the family to get in the truck to go to the store. So I was playing around with the gas pedal and I was able to rev up the motor to around 5000 rpm's and it sounded great. My son said it sounded like a race car. Now before I got the tune from 5 Star the motor would barley rev at all just sitting in park. Now the sound mainly comes from the intake but the tune make it possible. Thanks Mike.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:09 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mjlaupp
Another option is SprintBooster if you are only looking for throttle response changes. Plug and play installation.
SprintBooster Power Converter - www.SprintBoosterSales.com
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
Don't have or need one on my '04 V10.
Looks like a pcm "tricking" device to me. AKA hack job.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:50 PM
mjlaupp
Junior User
Originally Posted by dkf
Looks like a pcm "tricking" device to me....
It's just remapping the go pedal potentiometer position ahead of the pcm instead of a 'tunes' remapping of the throttle response curve inside the pcm.

AKA hack job.
Little harsh here!

I retired from process control engineering where I programed industrial controls like this all the time. Signals can be conditioned at any point between the operator input (go pedal) and the computer output (throttle position) and you can not tell the difference. The exception here is that the SprintBooster can not get around any throttle limits set by the pcm.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
Looks like a pcm "tricking" device to me. AKA hack job.
It is, and could actually be dangerous.

$295 for what amounts to fooling the PCM to thinking the pedal is in a different position.

Meanwhile, get an SCT X3 from Mike, read codes and do REAL DATALOGGING of Ford OBD-II (not just the vehicle it's VIN locked to) and get custom tunes that you can try out, have Mike modify to your liking, all with a money-back guarantee.

I know, I sound like a salesman, but... come on...

--

Side note: The Toyota "sudden acceleration" issue that seems to have either been covered-up or wasn't really an electronics issue (which I seriously doubt) had to do with the pedal sensor not doing the right thing. Either the PCM wasn't reading it correctly, or the sensor wasn't sending the right signal in the first place.

Want to play around with that? Really?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 PM
mjlaupp
Junior User
You win! I quit!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:28 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mjlaupp
It's just remapping the go pedal potentiometer position ahead of the pcm instead of a 'tunes' remapping of the throttle response curve inside the pcm.

Little harsh here!

I retired from process control engineering where I programed industrial controls like this all the time. Signals can be conditioned at any point between the operator input (go pedal) and the computer output (throttle position) and you can not tell the difference. The exception here is that the SprintBooster can not get around any throttle limits set by the pcm.
It is modifying the "signal" thus tricking the pcm to see something thats not true. The pcm on these vehicles is very complex and monitors a LOT of things simultaniously and makes adjustments on the fly. The product you listed is similiar in nature to the old capacitor on the MAF trick. The pcm should know everything that goes on and not be operating off modified info which may cause issues elsewhere down the line. A PLC is not the same as the controls on these vehicles. Best bet is to provide the pcm with the most accurate information possible and let it follow the the parameters of the program.

Side note: The Toyota "sudden acceleration" issue that seems to have either been covered-up or wasn't really an electronics issue (which I seriously doubt) had to do with the pedal sensor not doing the right thing. Either the PCM wasn't reading it correctly, or the sensor wasn't sending the right signal in the first place.
I suspect some of those issues were simply due to the absolutely stupid design of the gas pedal. They basically made a ramp to catch floor mats and whatever else was near it.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Jettix2
Senior User
So what kind of "footprint" does this device leave on the ECU? What parameters will have been operating out of factory specs that Ford could see if they went digging to deny a warranty claim? I know they're cracking down on tuners on the diesels BIG TIME, just wondering about the 6.2.......

Old 07-22-2011, 09:54 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Jettix2
So what kind of "footprint" does this device leave on the ECU? What parameters will have been operating out of factory specs that Ford could see if they went digging to deny a warranty claim? I know they're cracking down on tuners on the diesels BIG TIME, just wondering about the 6.2.......
Which one, the tuner, or the pedal sensor trickery?

Quick Reply: Throttle Response