Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Window Bounce Back - Fix (hopefully)

Old 06-28-2011, 04:58 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Bounce Back - Fix (hopefully)

I've copied this from a post over on another site. I've not had great sucess with this yet, but it seems to be better then any of the overriding suggestions or practices I've read here or in my service manual.

I've tried it twice so far and am learning that it may (key word may) work best when the truck is hot from baking in the summer sun. I'm going to try it again, but at the very least you can de-initialize the autoup/bounceback feature by following the first portion. One comment, be super careful when pulling the fuses. Ford kindly left us with a hole/pocket where the fuse and or fuse puller can drop down in. Put something in the area below the fuse box (passenger side kick panel) to prevent the swearing that you'll do when you drop the darn thing. I've learned this the hard way.

Fixed my bounceback!!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1 itxtNodeId="489"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->I got the de-initialization/initialization procedures from my dealership and had success with it. Here's the procedure they gave me. I went with the option of removing the fuse:

De-Initialization

Note: The front window motor must be de-initialized (reset to its original factory settings) before carrying out the initialization procedure.

1. Turn the ignition ON.
2. Operate the window control switch in one-touch mode and remove power from the window motor while the window is moving by one of the following methods:
a. Disconnect the vehicle battery cable while the window is moving.
b. Remove the LH or RH front window motor fuse while the window is moving.
3. This de-initializes the window motor and reset the window motor to its original factory setting
4. Carry out the initialization procedure to turn the one-touch-up feature on

Initialization

WARNING: Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects In Its path. Failure to follow this instruction may result In serious personal injury.

NOTE: The front window must be in the full OPEN position for this procedure to operate correctly

NOTE: If the initialization procedure is only partially completed, the front window motor remains de-initialized and operates only in proportional up/down and one-touch¬down modes.

5. Turn the ignition ON.
6. Activate and hold the window control switch in the UP position at the second detent until the window glass stalls for 2 seconds into the glass top run and release the switch.
7. Activate and hold the window control switch in the DOWN position at the second detent until the window glass stalls for 2 seconds at the bottom of its travel and release the switch.
8. Test for correct window operation by carrying out the one-touch-up and one-touch-down features.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Old 06-28-2011, 10:03 AM
ebexp94
Senior User
What exactly is window bounceback?

Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 AM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ebexp94
What exactly is window bounceback?
i agree, I would like to know to

Old 06-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Mikey D1016
Senior User
Originally Posted by 04XLTRUNNER
i agree, I would like to know to
If the windows are going up and sense something in the way, they go back down.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:50 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
I should have mentioned, this applies to those with 11's. Ford added the auto up feature to the front windows, well in a super cab, no idea if that's the case in a supercrew. But if you've added inchannel vent visors, you'll find that using auto up causes the window to bounce back open. This is a great safety feature. Heck, who wants a little kids fingers or worse to be broken if they were in the window path when the window was being closed.

But inchannel vent visors cause the bounce back feature to activate often, on my truck it's every time I close the window. The owners manual mentions an override function. But doesn't explain where it works. The service manual explains this and gives you 2 scenarios of who it should work. Well, on my truck, it doesn't. So when someone posted this info over on another site. I jumped at sharing it.

For me, I've just dissabled the auto up feature. All this automatic crap drives me crazy. I'm not THAT lazy that I can't press a button to close a frigin window... Oh well. The short of this is, the procedure may help owners of 11's with inchannel vent visors. You non-11 owners should be thankful you don't have this annoying feature.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:19 PM
cdecasper
New User
worked like a champ. Thanks

Old 07-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Mikey D1016
Senior User
Originally Posted by svt2205
I've copied this from a post over on another site. I've not had great sucess with this yet, but it seems to be better then any of the overriding suggestions or practices I've read here or in my service manual.

I've tried it twice so far and am learning that it may (key word may) work best when the truck is hot from baking in the summer sun. I'm going to try it again, but at the very least you can de-initialize the autoup/bounceback feature by following the first portion. One comment, be super careful when pulling the fuses. Ford kindly left us with a hole/pocket where the fuse and or fuse puller can drop down in. Put something in the area below the fuse box (passenger side kick panel) to prevent the swearing that you'll do when you drop the darn thing. I've learned this the hard way.

Fixed my bounceback!!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1 itxtNodeId="489"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->I got the de-initialization/initialization procedures from my dealership and had success with it. Here's the procedure they gave me. I went with the option of removing the fuse:

De-Initialization

Note: The front window motor must be de-initialized (reset to its original factory settings) before carrying out the initialization procedure.

1. Turn the ignition ON.
2. Operate the window control switch in one-touch mode and remove power from the window motor while the window is moving by one of the following methods:
a. Disconnect the vehicle battery cable while the window is moving.
b. Remove the LH or RH front window motor fuse while the window is moving.
3. This de-initializes the window motor and reset the window motor to its original factory setting
4. Carry out the initialization procedure to turn the one-touch-up feature on

Initialization

WARNING: Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects In Its path. Failure to follow this instruction may result In serious personal injury.

NOTE: The front window must be in the full OPEN position for this procedure to operate correctly

NOTE: If the initialization procedure is only partially completed, the front window motor remains de-initialized and operates only in proportional up/down and one-touch¬down modes.

5. Turn the ignition ON.
6. Activate and hold the window control switch in the UP position at the second detent until the window glass stalls for 2 seconds into the glass top run and release the switch.
7. Activate and hold the window control switch in the DOWN position at the second detent until the window glass stalls for 2 seconds at the bottom of its travel and release the switch.
8. Test for correct window operation by carrying out the one-touch-up and one-touch-down features.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
I would love to do this. Now I don't want to sound like an idiot, but what do you mean by the second detent?

Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
can the auto-up feature be disabled on the passenger side only and how does one do it?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:41 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
You can de-initialize the passenger side by pulling the fuse to that window while it is in auto down. Fuse #3 is the one you want.

I will say that after a week my passenger side re-initializes all on it's own. So, I'm not sure if this procedure is the best. But it's better then the so called override function, that I was never able to make function.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:48 PM
robmcmichael
New User
Ok I am a little slow, but when do you turn the truck off. In the steps it shows turning it on twice, but never when you turn off the truck.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:30 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've never understood the need for automatic windows up or down.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:15 PM
ssjrsw
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mikey D1016
I would love to do this. Now I don't want to sound like an idiot, but what do you mean by the second detent?
I believe he is saying the second detent is the auto up or down. Sort of like turning the key to the Acc, on or start position. If you press the switch to the first "click" it will work normally, if you push or pull the switch to the second click the window will go full up and down with one touch.

I love this feature, it is one of the things I love on my 11 vs, the 10. After having it in two Mustangs I would hit the switch in the 10 expecting the windows to go all the way up, now they do

Old 08-10-2012, 08:04 PM
MrAdamseye
New User
Had to swap a latch in the drivers door of a 2011 Edge. After R&I the window was going all the way up, then dropping to half way closed. The manual showed me how to override the "bounce back" but not reset it. So I googled it and found your post, followed the steps and bam all better.

Thanks.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:31 AM
No.Va.F150
Freshman User
does it matter which battery cable you disconnect?

Old 08-11-2012, 02:17 PM
MrAdamseye
New User
Originally Posted by No.Va.F150
does it matter which battery cable you disconnect?
It is preferred to pull the neg side, but either will do it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window Bounce Back - Fix (hopefully)