6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Looking at 07 power stroke, oasis ran, your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:24 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looking at 07 power stroke, oasis ran, your thoughts?

Found an 07 F350 6.0 automatic 2wd for a price I could live with. I want something for a daily driver and to tow a 10,000 lb deckover with my play truck on it on the weekends.
Just had the local dealer run an oasis, only time vehicle was repaired according to oasis was a wiring connector when it was a few months old. It only has 50,000 miles so is still covered by another year of the factory powertrain warranty.

I'm a little nervous about the 6.0's, if I buy it I would like to eventually do head studs, EGR delete, and aftermarket oil cooler.

Anything I should be looking out for? vehicle has been repainted, the guy who has it (wholesale dealer) bought it an auction last month and says it was repainted to repair the damage the previous owner, a construction company, did when removing their decals. He says there was no body work done, and the vehicle does have some small dings and dents to support this assertion.

If I buy this truck I will be financing it and I want it to stay reliable for a damned good long time. I would prefer a 7.3 but I can't finance anything older than an 04. So if I have to get a 6.0 I am looking at getting as new a one as I can afford.

I'm new to the newer trucks (my last truck was a 91 with an idi) so I thought maybe you guys could point me in the right direction, tell me some things to look out for, etc.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2011, 12:57 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:27 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is a good thread on what to look for when buying a used 6.0 https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...used-6-0l.html
Don't worry about all the stuff you read/hear about the 6.0 being a problem child. They are nowhere as near as bad as there reputation. A lot of the problems these trucks have are becasue people treat them like the diesels of old. You can't do that with a 6.0 you have to keep up with the maintance, and get a good set of gauges to keep an eye on things. The other reason they have problems is under trained/incompitant techs. There's a lot of people out there that just throw parts at these trucks hoping it will fix the problem. Sometimes it works, other times they just fix the symtom (sp??) not the cause. The EGR system is a big part for just fixing the symtom and not the cause. EGR coolers fail 9 out of 10 times, because of a bad oil cooler. I don't (along with many others on here) really recomend doing a delete anymore. What is recomended now is leave the EGR cooler alone, and IF, yes IF not WHEN, the egr cooler fails, replace it with a bullet proff diesel cooler along with rebuilding the oil cooler.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:02 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
i've also read that EGR in general just gums up diesels. Is there an advantage to leaving it in?

Old 06-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hasteranger
i've also read that EGR in general just gums up diesels. Is there an advantage to leaving it in?

Don't baby or idle that how it cause 6.0L trouble. Too many people who bought and baby plus IDLE all times.

DRIVE HARDER it will knock carbon off egr.

There kit for you delete EGR.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:18 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Just read that link. Lots of good info there. I mean, I know that they can be a good motor cause there are so many out there that don't have problems... but I still know a lot of people that've had trouble with them, mostly while towing.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:42 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Milwaukee1979F150
Don't baby or idle that how it cause 6.0L trouble.
This is good statement...but just like the diesels of old, it needs to warm up to full operating temperature before you hammer down on the "go fast" pedal. During the warmer months, we're talking a couple of miles (5-6 miles) down the road from where you started it stone cold. Once it's warmed up and at least once a month...run it hard enough several times until you stop seeing the large black cloud coming out of the tailpipe. It usually takes me two or three good hard runs from 20mph up to 70mph (getting on the interstate) to get all that crap out of the system. I don't baby mine, but I don't hammer on it all the time. I treat it like a diesel and try to keep the RPM below 2k most of the time; but once or twice a month the gloves come off and we **** off the hybrid folks.
Just read that link. Lots of good info there. I mean, I know that they can be a good motor cause there are so many out there that don't have problems... but I still know a lot of people that've had trouble with them, mostly while towing.
You think the 6.0L has a bad reputation...just mention 6.4L around a couple of folks and you get the gauntlet of them puking to cussing about that one. If you understand the 6.0L and what it needs you & truck will live a long happy life together. It's sort of like dating/married to a supermodel...there's quite a bit of work involved, but out on the town you'll have a smile from ear to ear. Besides, we don't have to deal with a DPF or DEF on the 6.0L

Old 06-16-2011, 03:50 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Yeah but its awfully hard when I could get a 7.3 and not have to deal with any of those issues! But no one will finance me on anything older than an 04 and anything old enough for me to pay cash for would defeat the purpose of buying a reliable tow rig.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:58 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I forgot to say in my first post, if that's all that's ever been done to that truck as far as warrenty work goes...it's a good one. But I'd still look to make sure it hasn't been puking coolant or leaking it into the intake. If it's had all the PM done, you may have a good one there.
Yeah but its awfully hard when I could get a 7.3 and not have to deal with any of those issues! But no one will finance me on anything older than an 04 and anything old enough for me to pay cash for would defeat the purpose of buying a reliable tow rig.
You should get better mileage than any 7.3L could dream about. My 2WD crew cab (3.73 limited slip rear end) gets high 19's low 20' at 70mph with the a/c going (not towing). And to really get 'em you make more power than they do...in stock form; but we all know how that discussion goes. I understand how you feel about the higher cost of maintenance, but it's a fact of life with these trucks. The newer 6.4L and 6.7L are just as if not worse. It comes back to which do you want?