Exhaust suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Dutch Semi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust suggestions

I am in the process of massaging back to health my old shop truck which is a '92 F350 2wd DRW 460 auto. My question is about the exhaust. It has plenty of rattles right now and though I may do headers this winter in its downtime, I am in need of suggestions from the y-pipe back. The cat has a flange at the front of it and leaks like mad. I can't see what is going on, but there seems to be a couple holes on top of it. One hole seems to be coming from some sort of flanged surface towards the front.

My question is 2 parts; do I cut the cat off and leave it off? Regardless of what I do, how do I get around the whole flange thing? I live in rust prone Michigan and it shows. Thanks guys.

-Joseph

Old 06-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Dutch Semi
I am in the process of massaging back to health my old shop truck which is a '92 F350 2wd DRW 460 auto. My question is about the exhaust. It has plenty of rattles right now and though I may do headers this winter in its downtime, I am in need of suggestions from the y-pipe back. The cat has a flange at the front of it and leaks like mad. I can't see what is going on, but there seems to be a couple holes on top of it. One hole seems to be coming from some sort of flanged surface towards the front.

My question is 2 parts; do I cut the cat off and leave it off? Regardless of what I do, how do I get around the whole flange thing? I live in rust prone Michigan and it shows. Thanks guys.

-Joseph
A couple of FYI's

1. Removing the cats will really not gain much power.
2. Even though you are exempt from inspections, you are not exempt from the requirement to have them- even US Fish & Game Wardens carry a manual that identifies each vehicle and the required smog equipment, illegal engines changes, etc with pics of how to ID.
3. Any law enforcement officer (including fish & game), EPA inspector, etc. can impound the vehicle and cite it as a gross polluter
4. Once cited, a judge will decide if the vehicle is to be scrapped or returned to the owner- and you do not have any opportunity to speak in court- just required to sit & listen.
5. if the vehicle is returned- guess what, now you have to repair and take the vehicle to a federal referee station for the rest of "its life" for a smog inspection & test.

IMHO, it's not worth the risk versus the little gain.

It just sounds like you are ready for a replacement...any muffler shop should be able to put together a system, from the headpipe back for about $200 (plus tailtips)- closer to $150 for a single pipe. Then when you put on headers later, the system can be cut and the collectors installed to attach to the headers.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Dutch Semi
Senior User
The cat is junk and I don't want to spend the money on the new one. I have had plenty of police around my vehicles and having the cat gone is not an issue. Zero worries. It is simply a money thing. If it doesn't make it worse by getting rid of it and that is the cheapest solution I will probably go that route. Can I reduce the 2 pipes from the manifolds to a single 3" and just run a flowmaster? Does it need dual 3" pipes? More suggestions?

-Joseph

Old 06-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Beechkid
The cat is junk and I don't want to spend the money on the new one. I have had plenty of police around my vehicles and having the cat gone is not an issue. Zero worries. It is simply a money thing. If it doesn't make it worse by getting rid of it and that is the cheapest solution I will probably go that route. Can I reduce the 2 pipes from the manifolds to a single 3" and just run a flowmaster? Does it need dual 3" pipes? More suggestions?

-Joseph
Can I reduce the 2 pipes from the manifolds to a single 3" and just run a flowmaster? Yes (plan on drone and/or cab noise since the majority of flowmasters have no perifial insulation)

Does it need dual 3" pipes? No. 2 1/2" tailpipes is more than enough- you can actually go to 2" but visually most people don't like it. It will have no effect on the perf or mpg.

FYI- regarding the cat, after removal you will have check engine light on, although there is a mil-eliminator available to eliminate that. But, the local police are the least concern, just about any county, state or federal health, safety or public safety agency including USDA, state fish & game or epa/aqmd inspector can cite and impound the vehicle. i understand $ concerns..IMHO, I would plan on replacing them in the future when $'s are available.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Dutch Semi
Senior User
So how about this, what if I take the time and spend the money on the new cat, what muffler should I run? Anybody run straight off the cat?

-Joseph

Old 06-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Beechkid
So how about this, what if I take the time and spend the money on the new cat, what muffler should I run? Anybody run straight off the cat?

-Joseph
You can certainly do that....it will be just a little louder than if you ran say a flowmaster 10 series or any perf muffler in all reality- but it will be a little raspy & prone to a crackle type sound on decel. If you wanted to go with a muffler i would recommend Allied resonator...they are a straight through bullet design, very well built & insulated, lengths range from 10" to 34" IIRR and a wide range of diameters....just about every muffler shop has them, cost about $20-$40 each depending on the size and Allied has been around for about 40 years.

They have a very deep tone, a nice (not tinny) rumble on acce & decel.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Dutch Semi
Senior User
I am thinking that I will actually probably go more stock sounding on this one. The last truck that I wanted to add a little rumble to ended up being a lot louder than I was hoping. Of course that was also on and SUV so there was no escaping the noise in the cabin. Seems like there is some giant tube shaped thing on there right now.

-Joseph

Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Beechkid
I am thinking that I will actually probably go more stock sounding on this one. The last truck that I wanted to add a little rumble to ended up being a lot louder than I was hoping. Of course that was also on and SUV so there was no escaping the noise in the cabin. Seems like there is some giant tube shaped thing on there right now.

-Joseph
For stock type sound I would recommend Walker, any muffler shop will carry, they are a very good quality unit, and Walker makes many of the oem mufflers.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:16 PM
thechief66
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
[quote=Beechkid;10456850]
FYI- regarding the cat, after removal you will have check engine light on, quote]

No rear O2 sensor on a 92 460, so no check engine light after cat removal.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Beechkid
[QUOTE=thechief66;10467836]
Originally Posted by Beechkid
FYI- regarding the cat, after removal you will have check engine light on, quote]

No rear O2 sensor on a 92 460, so no check engine light after cat removal.
UR Right! ..........