Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

New e4od shifting hard

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:26 AM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The manual lever position sensor also has to be correctly aligned when its installed. There is a mark between the case and the hub that needs to be lined up when the lever is in the neutral position, if I remember right.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:30 PM
finitetime
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the computer that controls the transmission? I know its by the master cylinder but there a are a couple of blocks on the firewall and a box on the finder next to them. Witch one should I be looking at?

Old 06-12-2011, 02:47 PM
finitetime
Senior User
which relays and fuses do I need to check that go with the transmission

Old 06-12-2011, 03:45 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by finitetime
Where is the computer that controls the transmission? I know its by the master cylinder but there a are a couple of blocks on the firewall and a box on the finder next to them. Witch one should I be looking at?
It should be below the master cylinder against the firewall but you will only see the main connector protruding from the sheet metal as the controller itself is inside the cabin. There will also be a bolt on the center of the long, rectangular (positioned vertically) connector that needs to be loosened before its possible to unplug that.

Originally Posted by finitetime
which relays and fuses do I need to check that go with the transmission
My understanding is there is only one main relay that supplies power to the E4OD and related control systems. Either it works or it doesn't.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:38 PM
my1strealtruck
Junior User
Talking

I had some of the same problems. It turned out to be the PSOM. It runs the speedo then the transmission. The PSOM is in dash with the tack and guages. Some guys have just unpluged it and it works fine. I sent mine to a place in ND and they repaired it. It has been fine since. Do a search for PSOM on this site. I found a lot of good info. My MLPS went out twice. You know they are bad when the back up lights do not work. Buy another brand than what you get at Autozone. I got my at O'rielly's.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:32 PM
finitetime
Senior User
my1 thanks for the tip I will check it out. The company I got the trans from told me to disconnect the battery cables from the battery and use a vise grip to connect the positive and negative together to drain the capacitor in the computer in-case it has a code left over from the old trans . If that doesn't work I realized today that I know a guy who has a computer that will read the code on it and he said I could borrow it tomorrow.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:42 PM
my1strealtruck
Junior User
The codes I always got said my VSS was bad I put a new one in and it still was not working right. You can get the OB1 code reader at autozone $20 I think. It is nice to have.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:19 AM
94 smokin stroker
Elder User
I hate this for you for as much as you said you have in it now you could have gotten a fully built ats or bts e4od if only you could have known it was gunna cost this much sooner right best of luck

Old 06-14-2011, 06:39 PM
finitetime
Senior User
Solution Found.
I called the people who rebuilt it and they told me to disconnect the batteries and then tie the battery cables together for an hour. They said there was a capasitor in the computer that kept a memory and that draining it would reset the computer. If the code was left over from the old transmission the computer might not even notice it had been fixed. I did as they asked and it solved the hard shifting and blinking od light. I drove it to work today and it worked perfectly.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Jayme Duty
Elder User
be careful. How many miles have you driven. I had the same thing happening and was told the same thing. What you did will reset the PCM and the computer will not recognize the problem for a few miles(like 30 or more). Not saying that this did not fix your problem, but there is a good chance that you will see that blinking light again soon. When they did your tranny they should have disconnected your batteries while they where doing it and this would have given the same results, no light for a few miles. Just a heads up, but i do hope that was your problem and you will be off and running for another 100k before any more problems

Old 06-25-2011, 02:20 AM
finitetime
Senior User
One more problem. The od light started blinking when I was backing up my driveway the other day. I shut truck off and restarted and everything is fine. A couple of days later I was pulling up my drive and noticed the light was blinking but when I got to the top it stopped? I have a steep drive. I haven't noticed it blinking at any other time and have put 500 miles on it. I'm thinking wiring short got any suggestions?

Old 06-26-2011, 12:59 AM
David85
Lead Driver
How steep is steep? Was that with a heavy load on it?

The biggest weakness of the E4OD IMO, is the reverse gear ratio being geared too tall. This forces the converter to make up the difference and can create rediculous amounts of heat in a short amount of time. 1st gear is low enough to deal with just about anything but reverse is pretty weak unfortunately.

It might be a wiring issue, but if it were, you should (in theory) notice the problem on flat ground as well as on inclines (Do you?).

Old 06-26-2011, 07:23 AM
my1strealtruck
Junior User
Check fluid and codes. If the light blinks even for a short time it should leave a code. I would try putting it in 1st manual and see what happends. What dose the speedo do on your driveway? When my PSOM went out it would only give me problems when turning.