Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

New e4od shifting hard

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 06:07 PM
finitetime
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New e4od shifting hard

I just put a new rebuilt e40d in and it shifts hard and the od light is blinking. I adjusted the fipl to within the 1.1 -1.4 at idle. I then moved it all over the place. It got better but its still not right. Speed sensor on rear end is new and so is the sensor where the linkage goes into the trans. Any body got any ideas?

Old 06-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Jayme Duty
Elder User
get the codes ran i can be hundreds of things, don't drive it with that blinking either you can burn it up quick. On your fipl sensor did you make sure that at WOT it was reading 4.5. Also is your tach working properly

Old 06-10-2011, 06:23 PM
finitetime
Senior User
the best I could get on is 4.0 wot and that was moving the idle voltage from 1.1 to 1.4 other wise the voltage was real low. Did I say the fipl was new also. I only drove it a block or two to get it up to speed and see how it is doing. If I don't figure it out this weekend the only miles it will see is to be driven to the trans shop 3 miles down the road.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:02 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your FILP sensor settings are are in the ballpark. For idle they generally should be between 0.8V and 1.2V.

You need to have the codes pulled in order to narrow down why its throwing a fit already. It could very well be the same thing that killed your old transmission.

How far and how fast did you go before it started blinking?

Old 06-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the computer might not like the new transmission to me. If you all your sensors and whatnot are new, but the computer isnt...maybe thats a possibility? Or your E4OD is a bad rebuild...

Old 06-11-2011, 02:00 AM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
finite,

It has been asked but not answered, how is your tach working? Mine did the same thing on a new rebuild. It shifted really hard and when at idle the OD light would blink, but would go off with throttle. I replaced my tach sensor, and she has run great ever since. Check your tach sensor, it is on your pump housing right next to the oil fill spout. Look for bare wires at the base. If you decide to replace it, you will find that it is a dealer only item. It runs about 70 bucks. Also do you have a turbo? I have an aftermarket Banks with a transmission control module which basically increases the line pressures, which can also cause hard shifts, but I don't think it will give you blinking OD light. Others will add more I am sure.

Good luck,

Mac.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:04 AM
finitetime
Senior User
David
As soon as you put it in gear the od light starts blinking.

Aune
The only thing I know of that passes for a computer on a E4od with the 7.3 is the controller where the shifter linkage connects to the trans and its new. If there's something else let me know I'll change it too.

akamacgyver
The trans I took out was only 10mo old and the tach sensor was change with the fist trans by the guy who changed it. I could not tell a difference between the tach before or after and from what I read and know it reads true, and is always steady so I don't think it has a short.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:23 AM
finitetime
Senior User
Sorry for the lack of background info guys. I have a 7.3 idi non turbo with the E4od trans and i have owned it a year. When I bought it the guy said he had changed the trans 70,000 miles earlier. It died 2 1/2 months later. I paid to have it change and it lasted 6 mo before I started complaining that it wasn't right and it died in the tenth mo. The guy who built it went out of business and left town so I have just got one in a box with a 3yr warranty. Now i fully intent to take it to a very reputable transmission shop here in town and let them test and set everything up to verify that it was installed right by me and a mechanic friend of mine but I need to keep the cost down so if I can get it closer to right before it goes to the shop Monday it will help. Their shops are sided by side and he usually takes his transmission problem cars to them and they have agreed to check everything out everything to satisfy the warranty but its not free. I also flushed the lines and completely disconected the trans cooler from the radiator and installed a large aftermarket cooler made for a motor home in front of the radiator cause the other trans had a lot of small metal flakes in it. Something is killing the transmissions in this truck. Make a suggestion wild or not!! I have done all the normal stuff.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Jayme Duty
Elder User
Did you get a new torque converter with that trans?

Old 06-11-2011, 10:33 AM
finitetime
Senior User
yes brand new converter and they sent it back with fully synthetic oil.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:37 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
what year is your truck?
sounds like a bad computer or faulty wiring doesn't it?
did you closely inspect wiring already?
perhaps the relay in the power box is faulty?
i dunno,but it's electrical related by the sounds of things.
what year trans did you replace the old trans with? if '95+ did you change the solenoid pack?
when you changed the MLPS,did you use the newer '95+ one with newer style plug and change over the pins correctly?
did you carefully clean up all the wiring connectors during installation?
do you see any gauges at any time flicker/jump/bounce etc?

your correct in your thinking that whatever the trouble is,is the source for your blown transmissions.
this is why this trans shouldn't be driven at all with a flashing OD light.it causes some serious hard banging shifts and other very hard on the trans symptoms.its suppose to be a safe limp mode,but its not very safe imho.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:53 AM
finitetime
Senior User
ford250
what is the MLPS? I can't be sure what all was changed. He ordered it through his shop to get me a better deal and he was the one talking to them. He did ask and was told that it would be rebuilt with all the updates. Its a big company so I doubt he was taking to anybody who ever touched a transmission but what can you do. I wanted someone who would be around in a year or two if it goes to crap like the other one and am spending quite a bit more for it. That's the other reason I'm going to pay the transmission shop to check out our work. When i get finished its going to be right.

Wiring harness.
It had been suggested by another person also. So now you have me wondering. I might just order me a new one to check that off my list too. It has that protective covering over it and what I can see looks good but that might not mean anything.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:57 AM
finitetime
Senior User
Ford250
Its a 93 and I cleaned every thing but i will check again. The gauges are steady. No bounce or delay with the tach. There's not a computer on a 93 7.3 idi non turbo is there.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:02 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
its a sensor that tells the trans which gear is selected.
the old style pre-'95 had a problem with letting in moisture iv recently learned and they updated the old ones to the newer style.im told they come with instructions to show how to change the pins.i haven't changed it yet,but i really should make sure it gets updated before i have the trouble.
this particular sensor can cause all kinds of various troubles and is one of the most problematic sensors when it fails iv gathered through research.
rather than just changing parts though,it will most likely be cheaper to let your trans shop handle the issue.

the idi doesn't no,but the E40D has a computer yes.the Electronically controlled 4 speed OverDrive trans is operated via a computer and relies on sensors that tell the computer how to operate the trans correctly.
this is a small box found over by the drivers side fender,tucked way down in on the firewall/rear most part of the fender well,by the brake master cylinder/booster.
it can't be missed.it has a large wiring harness connector on it.i think it took a 10mm socket? it can unplugged and cleaned carefully and plugged back in.you don't want any corrosion on this plug,just like you don't on any other plug.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:13 AM
finitetime
Senior User
I changed that sensor a month ago on the old trans when it started shifting hard. I don't know what year it is I got it a Auto Zone so I have what they gave me. I have the old one still. I could put it back on to see if it would help but I don't think it would. I will check on the computer and see what kind of shape its in. Transmission shop have just been changing the transmisson after it blows up and sending me on my way. I took it to one after the od light started to blink with the other trans they said they adjusted the fipl and cleaned the battery cables. It worked for 2 days before the od light started blinking again. This truck has had 3 new transmissions in the last 100,000 miles and 4 total if you count the stock trans. I'm not really confident that they are looking in the right places. So letting them handle it has not been cheaper. With this rebuilt I will have put around $5000 in the transmission in Less that a year. That's a lot of parts!!!! So if I have to spend the extra money to make sure its right I will but until someone hands me a smoking gun on this one I'm going to keep looking.

Quick Reply: New e4od shifting hard