Sponsored by: Moser

Oh what a mistake!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Brandon150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh what a mistake!!

So I have a long commute in the morning and decided to trade my 2010 in for a VW Golf TDI. 45 mpg sounded GREAT..... Until I had to spend a week in a car again. It is just not for me, so I'm getting my truck back.
So, has anybody been in a situation like this before?

I picked the car up last Monday. Talked to my sales manager today and he said he is off till Thursday and we will see what we can work out then. Car has 960 miles on it. Basically they're going to take the car in as a trade and give me what it's worth.
Thing is they gave me 22,000 for my truck, so I SHOULD be getting right back in it at that price. They didn't do ANYTHING to it. Not even a bath. My code on the key pad still works and everything. It's really tearing me apart right now.

Any advice is appreciated.

I can't wait to be back in The F150 again and I have learned that fuel economy isn't the most important thing. Trucks are a hobby as well as a tool and means of transportation. So wish me luck and think about me when you get in your truck tomorrow.

P.S. The VW TDI is a great car and a great diesel. These guys in Round Rock, TX have taken great care of me so far so I'm feeling positive that the treatment will continue.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:48 PM
egoboost
New User
Brandon I've bought and traded a lot of vehicles and yes based on what they've already told you, your extended test drive will cost you thousands. I hate to put it to you like that but thats the way they work. You may hear or already have heard the talk like "the transaction is already upline" or "all the title work has already been mailed and now it has to clear." Even if the title work did not even leave the building they will hogwash you. If you've been driving this car for a few business days now be ready for the bill. They will depreciated the car and add all sorts of charges to your truck the detailing, service checks, etc. Sorry I hope it goes better than I explained. Please post what happens, I said a short prayer for you and I'm not joking. Good luck!

Old 05-18-2011, 04:56 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Once you have a pick-up truck normally you have to have one the rest of your life. I'm a pick-up man myself, and had a few cars mixed in over the years but I can't see myself ever not owning one. They're just too versitile. Alan Jackson even wrote a song about it !Good luck and I hope they're not too hard on you.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:21 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Brandon,

This is interesting and I can't wait for the final chapter to be written.

Buuuuuuuuut, it's been mentioned that you may get surprised with some charges and fees.

If so, I strongly recommend that take your Vdub tot he nearest Ford dealer and trade it in on a 2011 Ecoboost truck. You'll get a truck, very good MPG's and more power than you ever imagined.

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2011, 05:24 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Brandon sorry to hear about your misfortune. Ego has pretty much summed it up. You're going to take a pretty decent wash on the TDI.

I love my truck to death, and the ONLY time I dislike it is at the pump, about once every 10 days or so. It does so many other things well that I just turn my head at the fuel costs.

Glad to see that you're coming back to the truck, but sorry that you have to take a hit on the car.
Keep us posted as to the outcome.

EDIT:
Just saw Tim's post...he has some good advice at looking into taking a trade up on the EcoBoost. Even the 5.0L should get better mileage than the 5.4L you had.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:27 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
As a young kid, I was always attracted to Pickups over cars. To me, Pickups just look better are FAR more versatile and more fun to drive, when I turned 15, I bought my first vehicle, a 1990 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat with the 302 V8 a truly great truck. I owned that truck for about 5 years, then traded it in 2008 for a 2003 model Ford Ranger ''which has also been a great truck''. Then just two days ago I closed the deal on my first brand new truck! A 2011 Ford F-150 FX4 Supercab 5.0L V8! I'll be taking delivery in the next 6 to 8 weeks hopefully ''as I ordered from the factory''.

I can't see myself ever having a car. I just love trucks to much, gas price's be dammed. I suppose in a worst case scenario situation I would have a small fuel saver car for my back and fourth to work, and then my truck for all other use's. But I must admit, I am a little more fortunate than you with my commute. From the moment I pull out of my driveway it takes me about 5 minutes of mostly highway driving to get to work. VERY short commute. So I am very lucky in that respect.

I hope that all goes well and you get your baby back. Owning and Operating a truck truly is a lifestyle for alot of people. Though some may not understand while people like us choose to pay more for a vehicle like a truck, others like me feel the exact same way you do. So don't worry your not alone!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
Though some may not understand while people like us choose to pay more for a vehicle like a truck, others like me feel the exact same way you do. So don't worry your not alone!
It's funny that you say this. I've wanted a truck since I was old enough to know what a truck was (maybe 3 years old). My wife comes from a car family. Her folks just recently bought their first SUV, so a truck was completely foreign to her. She hated that I wanted to buy a pickup, didn't understand why I would want one, and pretty much gave me the evil eye for a month or so after purchase last summer.
Well just last week, in conversation about the new vehicle she's soon to get, I mentioned something about selling the truck eventually for an SUV if needed, and to me she replied, "Why? The truck is actually pretty versatile". I nearly fell out of my chair. There's hope yet!!!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:57 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Niiiiiice! I guess I'm fortunate. My wife likes my truck, she just doesn't like driving it. Says its too big. The truck is... But she drives a BMW X5 so it is just a little bigger, and I don't mind she doesn't want to drive my truck either. It insures straight, scratch-free sheetmetal

Old 05-18-2011, 07:56 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That's funny. My wife loves the new truck and drives it a lot on weekends. My previous truck was an F350 PSD crew cab long bed. She wouldn't even try to drive it. This one is much smaller so I guess it has to do with perspective.
OP, that really sucks but like said prepare to bend over. A dealership isn't just going to throw a deal out the window and pretend it didn't happen. I see a new 2011 in your future.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:05 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've driven many cars over my life, ranging from damn nice to pure crap, but I, hopefully, will never own one. Like so many others, the ole ball and chain likes what the trucks can do, but doesn't like driving them, particularly the DRW, she just doesn't like the hips.

It really is hard to go back to a car after having a truck. Personally I always feel like my butt is riding on the road when I'm in a car. It's like my running 3 monitors on my computer. It's hard to go back to just 1 when you are able to get so much more done with 3.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:10 AM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by D8chumley
Once you have a pick-up truck normally you have to have one the rest of your life. I'm a pick-up man myself, and had a few cars mixed in over the years but I can't see myself ever not owning one. They're just too versitile. Alan Jackson even wrote a song about it !Good luck and I hope they're not too hard on you.

Agreed. Ive been driving pick ups (Ford pick ups, that is) for 14 years now and I cant ever see myself in a car again. I like sitting up high, I like that its capable of anything...hauling, off roading, towing, driving in not ideal conditions like heavy snow, etc.. It sure does suck when I have to shell out $150 to fill up my tank though but I guess thats the good with the bad.

As for the OP, you have my pity and I wish you the best. Depending on your financial situation, being that youre going to be in the hole with negitive equity anyway, instead of going for your old truck back, you may want to see about getting a new one, a 2011. Keep us posted and I wish you the best.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Brandon150
Senior User
Great deedback guys very helpful. I actually drove and ecoboost yesterday for the first time... impressive.
So it might turn out that I end up getting a new truck, with the rebates it might be equal to my old truck.

So the question is what setup I want in the new truck.
The ecoboost I'm looking at is XLT Screw 4x2 3.55. I like this setup, but would like to at least take a look at a 5.0 just to compare. I'd also like to look at an extended cab, but those can be hard to come across on a lot, have to order it.
I'l probably stick with the ecoboost I drove, the 3.55 gear should be a nice upgrade from the 3.31 I had in the 4.6.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:29 AM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am currently in a rent car (300M) while my F250 is being repaired from the ravages of illegal aliens in a bailout theft, and while I am getting used to the car, I sure do miss my truck. I feel too vulnerable in it, and though the break from a $100 per week diesel fill up is nice, I won't willingly drive a car again. My truck should be done in by the end of the month (completely repainted), and I can't wait!

Brandon, I'm in the south end of your neck of the woods, and Truck City Ford in Buda has a BUNCH of crew cab F150's. So don't think they aren't available in the area.

Oh, and I'm on this forum because I was *thinking* I might swap my F250 for a new 4X F150. Still thinking about that one.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:46 AM
EburgHDFord
Freshman User
I can fully understand your realization that you can't live without a truck. I have had a truck off and on for most of my life. My first ride was a 1963 1/2 ton Chevy. What a POS, but it was a truck. LOL I can't see myself without one especially given my 2011 is so comfortable.

Unfortunately your Golf is now Used. I think it's going to cost you. I agree with the recommendation for a new 2011 Ecoboost. It's the best truck I have owned (assuming it remains reliable) and it's my 6th truck and 3rd one I have purchase new.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:34 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally I think the hit you are about to take on trading in a brand new vehicle is going to be more painful than not having a truck. Its your money and your call though. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Oh what a mistake!!