Fuel filter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 05:54 PM
mjlevi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel filter replacement

I have a 94 F150 4x4 5.8L vin. code "H". I am having difficulty changing the fuel filter, and I even have the special tool required, does anyone have any tips for me..it is very close to side gas tank, and there is not much room for my hands, the engine has 133.500 miles on it, and the filter looks original and is very rusty, but the fuel lines themselves are in good shape...it appears I may have to drop the gast tank to do this.. are they normally this difficult to change???

Old 03-27-2003, 07:09 AM
ephillippi
New User
Fuel filter replacement

I change the fuel filter on my 1995 F150. I assume it is the same arrangement. The front connector on the filter should be easy to reach and after you figure out how the special tool works you should be able to get that hose fitting to slide forward and off the filter. You will see a safety clip that must be slid off before you can get the tool inserted. (Be sure you have relieved the fuel pressure first. I do this by removing the fuel pump fuse and cranking the engine with the <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">gas cap</a>s removed.) Be prepared to catch the fuel that will drain out when you remove the front hose connector.

To get the back connector off I first unbolt the filter holder bracket from the outside of the frame rail. When the filter/bracket assembly is loose I remove the filter/bracket assembly from the back hose with the special tool. (Be sure you have pulled off the safety clip first .) Then I take the whole assembly to my bench vise and use a pliers to open the holder and remove the filter. Be sure to install the new filter in the proper direction.

Reverse everything to install. You just push the hose onto the filter until it clicks in place. Be sure to replace the safety clip.

Old 03-27-2003, 07:50 AM
mjlevi
Senior User
Fuel filter replacement

thanks for replying!..well anyway I do know how the tool works, and I did remove the safety clips first...the problem is after inserting the tool to release the lines, the lines do not release period, the filter is very rusty, I guess that is the problem, I have sprayed penetrating fluid to loosen it up and it is still soaking today... I will attempt to free the lines later on today. I may be forced to remove the fuel lines at other locations and bring the whole thing to the bench and try it, or just replace the lines on each side of the filter also, even though they appear to be in good shape...all this just for a fuel filter!!! I wasnt the prior owner !!...

Old 03-27-2003, 04:16 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Fuel filter replacement

Is the fuel filter rusted to the lines? You could try loosening the filter mount, sticking the tool in, twisting the tool, the fuel lines, and the fuel filter to see if you can break it loose. Make sure also to get the tool in there as far as you can. Hope you get it out.

Old 03-28-2003, 12:35 PM
ephillippi
New User
Fuel filter replacement

You need to push in the tool until it pushes the internal spring up and out of the way of the flange. Remember that the tool stays with the filter as the hose slips off. The spring may be corroded but I think if you work the tool in behind it it should move out of the way. If the tool inserts all the way up to its outer flange the spring should be moved. I am assuming that the filter tube on the other side of the internal O-ring is not rusted, so the fitting should slip off. Slip it off slowly so as not to damage the O-ring. Good luck!